EBC RP-1 track pads - what do you use for HPDE?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Going to give these a whirl once my APR track compound pads are done in another event or so. Current BBK pads have a MOT of 1475 deg F, these are slightly lower at 1400 but I'm sure they will be fine. I'm getting some heat temp paint to check my rotors next event and see how close I am/if I need a higher MOT pad but I've never had an issue at VIR at least slowing from 135+mph. I've actually just left the track pads on this year since an even back in June...they are dusty but I just clean my wheels regularly...a little noise as you come to a stop but the cold bite is just fine for street use.

These RP-1s are nice w/stainless backing plates. I run their BluestuffNDX out back on my tiny 272x10mm solid rotor rear brakes, they have worked without issue. Before those I was just running Yellowstuff. Not many track-orientated choices for these rear brakes. These are $200 which is v. economical for a track pad, my APRs are astronomically expensive hence why I'm not getting them again...I actually really like them. Also would like to try Carbotech/G-Loc 10s (or maybe even 12s...need to see what temps I'm getting).

I am doing an event at 1-day Dominion in a few weeks then another 1-day event at Summit Point in Sept then 2x 2-day events at VIR at the end of the year....will need new tires as well by then.

364412100_306157531973961_4900866740109298593_n.jpg

366375695_10159408661411723_3575718808818315201_n.jpg
20230811_115928.jpg

Last edited:
Can rear rotor from R fit your vehicle? Is there possibility to code EBD for larger rear rotors?
Also, is there e.diff function? That sucker was always biggest issue for me. I can’t code it out as if I did it would leave xDrive in 40/60% split instead of 20/80% for track. It absolutely ate rear pads.

Hawk DTC60's were the last pad I used. Stock 1.6 Miata brakes take a beating on Road Atlanta. They were flipping awful to drive to the track though. Luckily it was only about 20 miles with not a lot of stopping.

Can rear rotor from R fit your vehicle? Is there possibility to code EBD for larger rear rotors?
Also, is there e.diff function? That sucker was always biggest issue for me. I can’t code it out as if I did it would leave xDrive in 40/60% split instead of 20/80% for track. It absolutely ate rear pads.
Not R (e-parking brake) but the same size (310mm vented) on the performance pack GTI or MK6 R. Many do it. It's a lot of money for a low return...really only nice thing is the better choice in pads. I've not had an issue with my current setup. On mine it's Haldex and this split is variable up to 50% torque at most (my Haldex is tuned for a bit better performance so I get the full 50 with my increased power level). I turn off all my nannies....stability control and the "XDS" which is kind of an e-diff...uses ABS to help with understeer and yes, many report it chews rear pads up.

Not R (e-parking brake) but the same size (310mm vented) on the performance pack GTI or MK6 R. Many do it. It's a lot of money for a low return...really only nice thing is the better choice in pads. I've not had an issue with my current setup. On mine it's Haldex and this split is variable up to 50% torque at most (my Haldex is tuned for a bit better performance so I get the full 50 with my increased power level). I turn off all my nannies....stability control and the "XDS" which is kind of an e-diff...uses ABS to help with understeer and yes, many report it chews rear pads up.
The rear pads, that chewing, is the main reason I went to Brembo from 135 in the rear. I never had issues with fade etc. on regular setup, with track pads, but that e.diff is so aggressive as it shifts up to 80% torque to the back that I had to bring spare pads every time, just in case, so I can get back home.

This is original setup rear rotor, after half-day track:

Rear rotor burned .jpg

WHich tune is that? Is there availability for Atlas? I am not that much interested in increasing engine power, but better haldex performance.

WHich tune is that? Is there availability for Atlas? I am not that much interested in increasing engine power, but better haldex performance.
United Motorsport. What it's doing is removing the torque limiter. Factory setting is based on factory power. When you do what I did...increasing power by more than 2x, you are still only transfering torque at the stock level so for me that was likely about %30 at most. With the tune, I'm getting the full 50%. Bottom line for you is - it won't do anything. Do you have gen 5 Haldex or did they do something like the R for the new Atlas?

Slowmo launch:

Here is before/after - that's torque to Haldex unit. I actually think the Haldex works great.

Haldex tune graph.JPG

United Motorsport. What it's doing is removing the torque limiter. Factory setting is based on factory power. When you do what I did...increasing power by more than 2x, you are still only transfering torque at the stock level so for me that was likely about %30 at most. With the tune, I'm getting the full 50%. Bottom line for you is - it won't do anything. Do you have gen 5 Haldex or did they do something like the R for the new Atlas?

Slowmo launch:

Here is before/after - that's torque to Haldex unit. I actually think the Haldex works great.

View attachment 172143

I think it is Gen5. No, it works great. Just wondering if some more manipulation is possible.

YES! That. Did not see that. Not sure I need it now, but it would be good to lock torque at some gravel, easy off roads.
Agreed. I will say after logging mine and all the work I've done, it's v. active...basically anytime you are giving it gas it's metering some power to the rear wheels at varying levels.

Ok...EBC RP-1 review. Did a 3 session/single day event at Summit Point Shenandoah circuit this past weekend. They were fully mated/bedded before the event and I street drove them for a few weeks before (still on actually).

This is what EBC has to say:

And I agree 100%. These have a much more mellow initial pedal feel than the APR Advanced Track Day compound pads I had which were at times....too much/hard to modulate/trail brake with.

At first it took some getting used to...having to push the pedal much harder/futher in it's travel than the former higher initial torque pads but once I got used to it...much easier to trail brake with and generally modulate. Shenandoah is a brake-intensive track and I had no issues beyond a reoccurring issue with the Motul RBF600 where the pedal get a little "weird" but you never lose the brakes or have issues...just needs a bleed before next event. I think I'll try Endless fluid next that is supposed to have a v. firm pedal and not need the frequent bleeds that the 600 does. On the street, these EBCs work fine, dusty of course but no noise yet. They are a little off on the first top/cold but that's what you get with pads like this.

Although I drive on extremely brake intensive track, i never had brake issues, besides e.diff eating rear pads.
EBC Yello Stuff, tried StopTech Sport (Junk), Hawk HP+. Had Pagid RSL 29 but it is not justifiable for the price considering I pack 260-265hp.
Now with Brembo set up, Hawk HP+ are excellent and to be honest, overkill.
I always ran ATE TYP200 fluid. Recently running Motul RBF660. You might try 660 or new 700. Endless is always safe choice.

Although I drive on extremely brake intensive track, i never had brake issues, besides e.diff eating rear pads.
EBC Yello Stuff, tried StopTech Sport (Junk), Hawk HP+. Had Pagid RSL 29 but it is not justifiable for the price considering I pack 260-265hp.
Now with Brembo set up, Hawk HP+ are excellent and to be honest, overkill.
I always ran ATE TYP200 fluid. Recently running Motul RBF660. You might try 660 or new 700. Endless is always safe choice.
I run the EBC Bluestuff NDX (higher torque Bluestuff) out back, 1/2 gone in less than a year and that's with all nannies etc. off.....just ordered new ones. V. limited choice beyond custom through G-Loc/Carbotec sending them a used pad...may do that this time and run R8s back there.

I run the EBC Bluestuff NDX (higher torque Bluestuff) out back, 1/2 gone in less than a year and that's with all nannies etc. off.....just ordered new ones. V. limited choice beyond custom through G-Loc/Carbotec sending them a used pad...may do that this time and run R8s back there.
I can code off e.diff, but in that case xDrive goes into default mode 40/60%. With e.diff on, on track it switches to 20/80%. I also turn off all regular nannies, plus soft stop, brake boost, brake drying.
But, it is heavily RWD biased vehicle, so I bet rear brakes work much harder than on Jetta.

I’ve had 3 days on the RP-1s, one at Summit Point Shenandoah and two at VIR. I run EBC Bluestuff NDX in the rear with the small-ish 272x10mm solid rotors which have limited pad choices w/r to track-focused compounds. The NDX version are a higher-torque compound than the regular Bluestuff at 0.52Mu with a MOT of 1000 deg F. I run Motul RBF600 fluid with a fresh bleed before each event.

After 3 track days and several ‘000 miles of street driving, they are sitting at 6mm of friction material. The brake feel is very different than the APR track pads I had previously that I’m sure have a much higher torque value. These have a lot more pedal feel/modulation due to their lower Mu at 0.45. They made it v. easy to trail brake as I could really push the pedal during braking allowing me more travel to come off of to trail brake/modulate vs. before where the brake seemed to be at full-steam after a lighter touch of the pedal making the easing off more challenging. The RP-1s are rated at 1,400 deg F MOT so similar to many other track compounds out there. They have been fine for daily use over the last few mos. with good cold bite (was below freezing here recently and no issues) and the dust isn’t as bad as the APR pads that seemed to form hardened piles that were a ************ to remove…the RP-1 dust cleans up easily with a bit of wheel cleaner/soap/brush and a hose but are still v. dusty as they are a track compound. I have no noise at all on the street.

At VIR I struggled with more rear end squirm than before and I’m attributing that to the rear Mu being higher than the front while slowing from 130+ at the higher speed straights at VIR…this could also have been the difference in tires…not sure there. It was clear however that the rears were having to put in more work…I used more than 50% of my brand new rear pads in 2 days! The RP-1s were dead solid both days and even over the last longer 40 min session, no issues with fade or pedal feel changes on track….just felt like I had to push them hard and I think now that I’ve had both types of pads, I prefer a higher torque pad with higher initial bite (how do you know unless you try?). I’m going to try the higher-torque RP-X (0.55 Mu) and see how those are.

RP-1-Race-Compound-mu-chart-1024x646-1.jpg
RP-x-Race-Compound-mu-chart-1-1024x646-1.jpg

Back