How often do you change your bike oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a year at 2000 miles on my airhead but unlike others I do it in early spring.

I ride right thorough the winter and reason that while the oil has been in all summer it's still like new for the start of the winter. By the end of the winter the cold oil temperatures have caused the oil to get contaminated with condensate and now it's ready for changing.

If I changed before winter I'd still have to change again in spring. I did used to do that when the bike was doing higher annual miles.

Honda specs 8k miles (or annually) in my NC700X, and most all other Honda street bikes. I don't use that interval because it's not easy for me to remember. So, I've typically done 5k miles on this bike. However, I've pushed to or beyond 8k a time or two. At this point (I have 40k on the bike), I may go to 10k miles or annually. Trouble is, I generally put 10-12k on per year. So, 10k is easy to remember, as is annual (sort of), but the two don't coincide.

P.S. I ride rear-round.

On my Honda XR400, i change every 200 miles, without filter, and change filter once a year. The reason I change it often, because I use cheap oil, and run it hard.

Doing annuals on the FJR as the mileage doesn't justify more frequently than that. Doubt that I would go much beyond five thousand miles / eight thousand kilometres.

John.

'On my Honda XR400, i change every 200 miles, without filter, and change filter once a year. The reason I change it often, because I use cheap oil, and run it hard.'

^^^ In how many ways is this just wrong? ^^^

Changed my HD Ultra Ltd 103 after 3k miles in hot heavy traffic in Fl. Valvoline Syn 20-50 was sent for analysis. It was in great shape and could have gone another 3k. I just don't like leaving oil in a bike for more than a year.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'On my Honda XR400, i change every 200 miles, without filter, and change filter once a year. The reason I change it often, because I use cheap oil, and run it hard.'

^^^ In how many ways is this just wrong? ^^^

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
I was so close to asking the same thing. Then I didn't bother.
Hope he at least recycles it.

Well, the bike has 600 mile OCI in manual, so 200 mile OCI in racing mode is not wrong. So how wrong is that?

Originally Posted By: oryades
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/honda-tech/xr400r-ridiculous-oilchange-intervals-true

'because I use cheap oil, and run it hard.'"

Page not found?

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/honda-tech/xr400r-ridiculous-oilchange-intervals-true-37993

>>>>
The handbook says 600 miles (1000km) because the XR400 was originally designed as a race bike (don't snigger, this was back in 1996 x), as you surmise, more gentle 'trail' use is not going to be as hard on the engine...

However, do bare in mind that it only takes around 1.8 litres of oil in total, and is air-cooled - so that oil is working hard, especially at higher (highway speed) revs and in hot climates particularly.

So can you explain me the point of ^^^ In how many ways is this just wrong? ^^^

It takes less than 2 liters of oil.....! My point is, why cheap out on a lesser quality oil and change it more often, when it will cost you very little to put a good quality oil in and run it the recommended interval? I just can't understand how you can justify running cheap oil for short drain intervals, as opposed to running good quality oil for the recommended interval. Is your goal to save a little money rather than to protect your investment? You have some nice vehicles in your sig...do you follow the same 'quality of oil and change interval attitude' with them?

It takes less than 2 liters of oil.....! My point is, why cheap out on a lesser quality oil and change it more often, when it will cost you very little to put a good quality oil in and run it the recommended interval? I just can't understand how you can justify running cheap oil for short drain intervals, as opposed to running good quality oil for the recommended interval. Is your goal to save a little money rather than to protect your investment? You have some nice vehicles in your sig...do you follow the same 'quality of oil and change interval attitude' with them?

I've tried to run "expensive" oils in the XR, but running them for more than 5 rides (and I do racing, when you ride wide open throtle for prolonged time) thins out the oil the same way, as cheap oil - hence the cost factor. Also this serves as an experiment to see, if the engine will die from oil or anything else. ^^

Regarding other vehicles, they all get HC 10w40, and get oil change every 6 months, though i'm not extending OCI.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I run cheap oil for the recommended change interval.

Nice experiment I must admit, keep us updated of results
smile.gif

Im not sure by what anyone means by "cheap oil" ...

Who is to say low priced oil is inferior to oil with high prices and HUGE markups?

Either an oil meets a spec or it doesnt. Anyone can take the cheapest oil sold and resell it at a high price, doesnt make it superior.
To me, unless proven all oils are equal, granted within reason.
Example, Super Tech (Walmart) who can prove it will lead to more wear then Mobile 1 or Valvoline or QS or Pennzoil or any major brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Im not sure by what anyone means by "cheap oil" ...

Who is to say low priced oil is inferior to oil with high prices and HUGE markups?

Either an oil meets a spec or it doesnt. Anyone can take the cheapest oil sold and resell it at a high price, doesnt make it superior.
To me, unless proven all oils are equal, granted within reason.
Example, Super Tech (Walmart) who can prove it will lead to more wear then Mobile 1 or Valvoline or QS or Pennzoil or any major brand.

Exactly, cheap doesn't mean low quality, it just means not overpriced by brand name.

There's a big difference between 'cheap' and inexpensive. I buy quality oil when it's on sale. ST is a very good inexpensive oil. A lot of off the wall discount store brand oils are low quality 'cheap' oils I would never use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back