Time wise (not miles) how often should you change your oil in a 900cc V-twin

Hello,
I have a question regarding how long oil will remain affective in a V-twin 900cc motorcycle.
Specifically, I had my oil changed using Amsol V-twin full synthetic motor oil. I rarely ride
the bike; it's been 2 years since the oil change and less than 3k miles. I called the shop to
inquire on how long or how many miles before my next oil change and the gentleman
basically said I was foolish for not be changing the oil every year regardless of mileage. This
is confusing to me because I had never heard of a specific amount of time (within reason
of course), that the oil must be changed. I ended up changing the oil and when it was
draining into the pan it looked perfect. I feel like I wasted perfectly good Amsol full
synthetic oil at $14 a quart. What is your opinion, how long is too long to go without
changing your oil?

I change the oil and filter on my bike every two years and approx. 2000 miles. Two years is an easy interval to keep track of. I don’t worry about the cost, it’s spread over two years, and insurance is by far the bigger ‘waste’ of money on a little used toy.

I would have changed it at 2 years. My bike used Rotella 15-40 and I would change it at 2 years or whenever the clutch started getting sticky. You know the feeling when you start it and it tries to jump forward when you put it in first gear. I the days of the Honda 305 Dream that would start after 300 miles, but oil was not the same as now.

At $14 a quart, it should last as many years as it takes to reach the manufactures recommended mileage interval for oil and filter changes.

When I used Amsoil, I left it in for 5000 miles, or when it noticibly started feeling different when shifting gears.

Of course, we don't know if the motorcycle is parked outside throughout all 4 seasons (hot, cold, rain, and snow), or it is kept in a dank and very humid garage. Either for me would make it a yearly change, regardless of oil or miles.

When I used Amsoil, I left it in for 5000 miles, or when it noticibly started feeling different when shifting gears.

Of course, we don't know if the motorcycle is parked outside throughout all 4 seasons (hot, cold, rain, and snow), or it is kept in a dank and very humid garage. Either for me would make it a yearly change, regardless of oil or miles.
It's kept in my garage in Florida. It's not climate controlled but dry. I put about 1k miles a year on the
bike. It's not the money for the oil it's more of not wanting to waste perfectly good oil. I'm told Amsol
is the best motor, it's certainly the most expensive. The auto version is supposedly good for 25k miles.

First let me say I understand wanting to use the very best in your bike, but you would be better served to use Rotella, Valvoline motorcycle or one of the other $5-$6/qt motorcycle oils and change it every year or 2. The Amsoil is good but targeted to someone that puts 6K or more a year on their bike and does not want to worry about mid trip or even mid year changes. A water cooled 900cc motor is not hard on oil and the gear box will shear any oil fairly quickly.

First let me say I understand wanting to use the very best in your bike, but you would be better served to use Rotella, Valvoline motorcycle or one of the other $5-$6/qt motorcycle oils and change it every year or 2. The Amsoil is good but targeted to someone that puts 6K or more a year on their bike and does not want to worry about mid trip or even mid year changes. A water cooled 900cc motor is not hard on oil and the gear box will shear any oil fairly quickly.
Actually when I decided to change my own oil I switched to Mobil 1 V-twin because it's less expensive but very good oil. The bike shop that I took it to when I first bought it uses Amsol exclusively so I had no choice. If you research what Amsol says on the web regarding the time interval they insist on changing it within a year no matter the mileage (or lack there of). Seems like a waste to me... As I stated previously when I changed the oil it looked perfect as it came out of the bike and flowed into the pan. What a waste..

In my opinion, oil analysis has shown beyond a doubt that timeframe constraints are all marketing and take money out of the consumers pocket and put it into the oil industry. Just turned 5000 miles on the M1 10w40 4T in my ZRX1200. Changed it a couple weeks ago. That oil went in October of 2020. Haven't sent the analysis in, but the sample is ready to go. I will bet it's gonna be no different than the last three samples where I put 5000 miles on in a riding season of 6 months. I get it some folks only go on short rides, however it's not hard to take a bike out at the end of a riding season, get it properly warmed up and park it for an extended time and use the oil the next year. Just don't be that guy that starts the bike in the dead of winter, lets it run for 30 minutes on the center stand or side stand and think it's good for the bike.

Overall if the oil was in my bike at the end of a third riding season, I'd probably change it. Inside of that, unless I hit the recommended mileage for an oil change interval I would leave it in there.

Nothing wrong with 2 years if you're only putting 2,000 miles on it, but modern oils are good and as long as the bike is properly warmed up to burn off any moisture, time frames probably become a bit more non- consequential than what most of us think.

Last edited:
In my opinion, oil analysis has shown beyond a doubt that timeframe constraints are all marketing and take money out of the consumers pocket and put it into the oil industry. Just turned 5000 miles on the M1 10w40 4T in my ZRX1200. Changed it a couple weeks ago. That oil went in October of 2020. Haven't sent the analysis in, but the sample is ready to go. I will bet it's gonna be no different than the last three samples where I put 5000 miles on in a riding season of 6 months. I get it some folks only go on short rides, however it's not hard to take a bike out at the end of a riding season, get it properly warmed up and park it for an extended time and use the oil the next year. Just don't be that guy that starts the bike in the dead of winter, lets it run for 30 minutes on the center stand or side stand and think it's good for the bike.

Overall if the oil was in my bike at the end of a third riding season, I'd probably change it. Inside of that, unless I hit the recommended mileage for an oil change interval I would leave it in there.

Nothing wrong with 2 years if you're only putting 2,000 miles on it, but modern oils are good and as long as the bike is properly warmed up to burn off any moisture, time frames probably become a bit more non- consequential than what most of us think.
Thanks for your opinion and input Bonz. It's very concerning that big oil is steering consumers in this direction.
It's also concerning that some repair shops are pushing the same thing; oil is expensive!

I’m in about the same boat as OP.

Life is too short to worry about these small details. What I do: Drop ~$150 every spring on oil/filter/washers at the dealer. Knock it out and rest easy.

Ugh, that hurts just reading it... $150 at the dealer to do something that can be done with no mechanical ability for well under half that with the most expensive boutique oil and filter. My sentiment is I always have time for a motorcycle ride, and then 20 minutes afterward change in the oil. Disposing of the used oil is a nonevent, any local auto store or Walmart loves to recycle it for free so they can turn around and sell it to be repurposed.

Back