How much would a car in this condition be worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selling my car on Craigslist, but it is a bit of a junker, because of that it's difficult to use KBB to get an accurate value on it. Perhaps you could help me out

It's a 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL FWD with 276,000 miles moonroof, leather. It runs and drives but has a bad vavle body and shifts really hard and sometimes can't find the right gear. It has body damage to the left front which is bashed in bad enough to bend the hood and left front panel and take out the headlight and half the rear plastic bumper is also missing. The circuit that is the power windows and radio went bad and doesn't work. It also needs some tie rod ends, its missing a gas cap and has a recent CEL. I did however drive it all the way from Detroit to Kansas City and back in this condition multiple times without it breaking down on me.

Any thoughts on what I should list it for?

Last edited:
I'd go for $1250 and let them talk you down.

"Trans shifts through all gears but hard. No rust. Just drove it to detroit and back. Highway miles."

Remember it's a newer body style than most $1250 cars and comes with safety features and other tech that you'd miss in, say, a 1997 camry, it's closest competitor.

This is definitely a win if you can sell it for anything more than scrap metal value. It is not economic to buy the several parts it would take to make it road-worthy.

It doesn't sound like the old girl owes you a dime. I'd drive it to a junkyard and sell it, anyone looking to buy it couldn't afford to make it safe. You're going to sell it without a gas cap??

$500

"I did however drive it all the way from Detroit to Kansas City and back in this condition multiple times without it breaking down on me."

This statement does not add any value. The car has mechanical and cosmetic issues that either need to be addressed prior to sale or subtracted from the cost. Even in great condition, it's a 10 year old car with 276k miles....pretty much worthless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd go for $1250 and let them talk you down.

"Trans shifts through all gears but hard. No rust. Just drove it to detroit and back. Highway miles."

Remember it's a newer body style than most $1250 cars and comes with safety features and other tech that you'd miss in, say, a 1997 camry, it's closest competitor.

I'd probably start in that price range too and work down.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No offense but sell it to a bone yard for scrap don't unload it on some poor bugger, this car is done and finished.

+1. Someone who wants parts from it doesn't want to buy the whole car, and someone who wants the whole car can't afford to fix the safety issues, thereby putting themself and others at risk.

No offense but sell it to a bone yard for scrap don't unload it on some poor bugger, this car is done and finished.

People automatically assume that if you sell a junker you're selling it to a poor bugger who doesn't know anything about cars. In reality, It could be a guy who plans on using it for parts, or it could be somebody who plans to flip it.

It would depend upon the buyer.
Let's say a project oriented guy bought this car for $500.00.
He could spend around a grand more and make it fully functional and fairly presentable.
You say that you've driven it on multiple long trips since you've had it?
This has probably been most of the use this car has seen since new since 276K in eleven years or less would have to mean that the car was mainly highway driven.
This car could be a viable project for someone who does that sort of work as a hobby.
OTOH, some poor bugger might give up five hundred. In return, he'd likely get a year or so of use out of this old Ford, which seems fair enough.
He'd then get back about half his money from a yard.
I think $500.00 would be a fair enough amount to take for this old Five Hundred.
You should of course list it for more and expect to come down.

Scrap value.
It's not worth fixing.
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Meaning someone was foolish enough to take a piece of junk on the highway. Unfortunately there are people who are actually that foolish.

Originally Posted By: 7055

People automatically assume that if you sell a junker you're selling it to a poor bugger who doesn't know anything about cars. In reality, It could be a guy who plans on using it for parts, or it could be somebody who plans to flip it.

A vehicle with >>200k doesn't scare me, if it's in good running shape and has a known history.

This one has 276k and a lot wrong. Major difference there...

What's the value of one with 150k and all systems functional?

Originally Posted By: exranger06
If someone offers you $500, take it before the buyer changes his mind.

+1. And make sure they know it is "as is" condition.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: exranger06
If someone offers you $500, take it before the buyer changes his mind.

+1. And make sure they know it is "as is" condition.

+1 more
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back