What would you pay for this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic

My questions to everyone:
1) Would you buy it as a project car to refurbish and keep as a spare beater?

Not a snowballs chance in death valley would I ever touch that pile of scrap.

2) If you purchase it, what would you pay for it? [/quote]

It depends upon how much the current owner paid me to haul it off for scrap. I don't work cheap.

What is the project? Throwing good money at bad? It doesn't sound like that car has anything going for it.

I say print out your inspection report and invoice the guy $100 and walk away.

I'm sure you could offer free service to local BITOG cars if you guys are bored and want to volunteer up some free time.

There's nothing special about that car, even if it was well kept.

My questions to everyone:

1) Would you buy it as a project car to refurbish and keep as a spare beater?

Probably not unless if i got it really cheap.

2) If you purchase it, what would you pay for it?
$70
scrap value minus his cost to haul it to the crusher

Last edited:
So the car has been sitting for two years, and needs a bunch of work. I could be wrong, but this strikes me as the perfect example of "I'll take almost anything just please get it out of my driveway"

I'd say somewhere between $500 and $1000, depending on how straight the body is.

Considering you can get a 2003 G35 in really good shape for $5000, with the same mileage, that doesn't need any work..

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5454542757.html

.. and this one is by no means as nice as that one, and needs at least $3000 worth of work.. I think he'd probably be happy just to get $500 and get it off his hands.

I would get much more firm prices on replacing/fixing the damaged and missing things on the inside before buying the car. I don't know what you'd be getting into on this particular model, but things like consoles, HVAC controls, SRS components, factory radios, etc. can be very expensive to replace. Very likely WAY more than $500. There's probably a reason whoever stole it stripped those things out first.

I wouldn't want to do more than a few hundred bucks on a car like that. I can tell you for sure, if the dealer I work at took this on trade, or the buy here/pay dept ran this car through the shop after repossessing it, it would get nothing more than a battery and a wash, then go straight to the auction (dealer group owns the auction too).

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
If you go the beater route, I would not get an Infiniti of any kind. Or any luxury marque for that matter. The more mechanically simple, the better. When I think beater, I dont think of power windows with $200+ motors to burn out. I think crank windows. Nothing with climate control fits the bill for a beater. More like cable or vacuum operated heater blend doors. Less parts, less problems. This is why you see high end cars go for cheap after a decade. They are just not feasible to keep on the road when worn out luxury stuff costs more than an engine or transmission. If you insist on a luxury beater, Lexus RX's are some of the most reliable cars on the road today. As to the Infiniti, I'm not a fan of the VQ engines. They can be troublesome depending on the year.

This is an excellent point.
One reason that Cadillacs don't hold their value is the expense of fixing all the high tech gizmos (that usually break)....the same is true for many foreign 'luxury' cars.
If I want a 'beater'...I'm looking at a Focus, Cavalier, Sentra etc....

No way. It's not special/unique/compelling enough of a vehicle to justify the work unless you wanted to do something really interesting to it (skyline engine or who knows what).

If you could get it for stripped doesn't make it worth more IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back