What would you pay for this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today, I looked at a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan (auto) as a candidate for a project car. The car has been sitting for the last 2 years and has 141,000 miles.

The seller allowed us (buddy and I) to keep the car overnight for an inspection, so we jump-started the car and took it back to our shop for a full inspection. Here is what we found:

Mechanical:
- Dead Battery, which was expected. ($50-WM Valuepower)
- Both Valve Covers have severe leaks, you can smell oil while driving ($80 for Fel-Pro valve cover gasket set and intake manifold gasket set, 4-hours labor). It probably needs a few vacuum hoses as well for $20-$40.
- Thermostat is stuck closed, so the vehicle overheats ($50 for OE thermostat and coolant, 1 hour labor)
- Front and Rear Sway Bar End links have a significant amount of play ($50-Mevotech)
- Tires and 4-wheel alignment, all tires worn unevenly and are at 2/32" ($540 for General RT-43, $80 for alignment)
- Control Arms - Front lower rearward (compression rods). Bushings are torn, which is common for this type of vehicle. ($130-Mevotech, 2 hours labor)
- Differential Bushing is leaking fluid ($100 for whiteline bushing kit, 4 hours labor)
- Front/Rear struts - 3 of the 4 struts are leaking a moderate amount of oil ($220 for KYB Excel-G and OE front strut boots)
- Missing fan shroud and lower engine cover ($100 for generic replacements)
- Front/Rear Brakes due to severe rust from sitting for a long time. ($160 for Centric 105 pads and 121 economy rotors)
- P/S Rack has a minor leak (not a needed repair at this time, but should be given consideration)
- Needs some scheduled maintenance such as oil change, spark plugs, filters, p/s flush, trans flush, diff oil service, wipers ($250 for parts)
- Scanned vehicle with our Snap-On scanner, found a few active faults that are likely related to the vacuum leaks. Also found two historic/pending faults for the airbag module and the driver-side curtain air bag, but interestingly enough, it is not showing any active faults. The airbag light IS flashing at this time, so I will probably need to dig a little deeper here...

Cosmetic:
- center console, radio and climate controls are all missing due to a theft. So for now, there is no way to control the climate control (a/c and heat) and no radio. I would have to source these components from the junkyard, pricing is unclear. $500?
- all seats are torn (foam showing)
- the paint on the roof is peeling

As as a baseline, a car of this type in "fair" condition is worth $3200 according to KBB.

My questions to everyone:
1) Would you buy it as a project car to refurbish and keep as a spare beater?
2) If you purchase it, what would you pay for it?

Last edited:
with all the work you have explained, $500-800 max to pay for the car, otherwise there are other beaters that can be had for that price and the parts will eventually end up costing the same for either car (ball park) obviously anything can be wrong.

If you want a project, point out all the faults and how much they will cost you to fix then offer him 3k. Haggle hard and wave cash at him
wink.gif

The airbag thing would be a deal killer for me. I'd part it out if given to me.

I always figure on 2x the work after my initial inspection of a clunker.

I'd agree with a really lowball amount, like 01_celica_gt mentioned. For someone parting it out, that might be a different matter. If you want a project, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

As an aside, as I've already told you, if you're bored, there's a black G37 hanging around the could use your efforts on some paint correction. Pick up Richard Widman on the way (long way around) so he can "touch up" my F-150's body.
wink.gif

Honestly I have got similar and even better cars for $400-500. This falls in the same category (an old bone yard refugee).
Don't pay more than scrap price for it, stuff like this can be a winner or eat you alive with unknowns.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Honestly I have got similar and even better cars for $400-500. This falls in the same category (an old bone yard refugee).
Don't pay more than scrap price for it, stuff like this can be a winner or eat you alive with unknowns.

+1 with Trav. Too many missing parts and unknowns. Don't waste your time critic.

Print out the report you posted here. Hand it to the seller and offer what I call "the $500".
It's a theoretical minimum for a car of some worth.

In this case the $500 might be high because it's a forgotten, horribly neglected beast.

I agree with the airbags' condition being a deal breaker. Search on!

$500-$1000 depending on local market. No way I'd even pay $3200 in excellent condition for an old Nissan , these have really cheap interiors.

If resale is a concern it's missing that H or funky T badge for something this old.

Agree with the rest...even at 500$..after all the repairs its no longer in beater territory...

Personally id pass on something that needs that much work...besides ur very detailed inspection, other items are bound to surface and cost you more. There is a reason it was just left alone and neglected.

My friend had this exact car and it wasn't nearly in the poor condition you describe.
The last year of his ownership, it was in the shop a lot for this and that and parts got expensive. He ditched it a couple months ago after it was apparent that it was more than a monthly payment in repairs every 3 months or so.

You should find one with a good body and interior that needs some semi-serious mechanical work, like swapping in a rebuilt trans or something beyond most shadetree guys. It still might be only $500 plus the repair, and then with one big job you've got a nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back