how much oil do you keep on hand?

I Usually just keep the next oil change on hand for both mine and my wife's car. So 8 quarts and 2 filters.

I'm overstocked right now with something like 40 quarts since 0w20 oil got hard to find a few years ago. Bought a little extra here and there when I saw it available.

Prior to pandemic I was buying when they are on big rebates and I ended up with about 50 qts in the garage for 3 cars. After the pandemic started we don't drive much anymore as we started working from home, so we are no longer buying anymore. I think in the future I'll only buy new oil when my stash is down to about 5-7 qts and when it is on big rebate (like down to $1-2/qt synthetic).

I have probably the most I've had on hand for a while - 6qts of Amsoil SS 5w30.

10 5L jugs at the moment, the most I ever kept on hand. Serviced 3 cars in the past (providing my oil) and now going to 5 cars, so 2 jugs per car, not too bad. Other people bring their own oil while I recommend them which oil to buy for their cars, some take quite a bit of oil like 997 (that I service) which takes 8.25L.

Let’s see, one oil change in the future, stored on site:

Packard: 8 q
Volvo T5: 6.5 q
Volvo T5 6.5 q
Volvo XC 6.5 q
Volvo R 6 Q
SL 600 10 q
S 600 10q
Tundra 8 q

Rounded up to the nearest quart: 56 quarts.

Rounded up to the nearest jug: 12 jugs.

Looks like a lot to some folks, but it’s one oil change in advance stored on site.

Add in some differential and transmission fluid, and I’m up to nearly 100 quarts.

Crazy hoarder according to some.

But all I’ve got is just the next maintenance interval on hand.

I was letting my oil inventory slim down and was going to just buy enough for one oil change for each vehicle. Then I noticed after oil and gas prices were going up and up I maybe might want to consider a bigger stash. I had about 4 changes for my Nissan Versa Note which used 5w30. I had 2 changes for my F150 which uses 5w20. So now I will need to use all the oil in my F150 because I bought a RAV4 which calls for 0w16. I bought some Mobil1 0w16 the other day for the first oil change in the RAV4. I will be changing it at 1000 miles to get out the nice shiny bits out should it need it.

Here's my current inventory:

12 quarts of really old API SH conventional Quaker State 5w30
12 quarts of newer Thrive High Mileage syn blend 5w30
12 quarts Pennzoil black label 0w20
1 quart Pennzoil 80w90
1 quart Mystik 75w90
1 quart Havoline 10w40
5 quart jug of Castrol 2-stroke snowmobile oil
A couple half empty bottles of Valvoline Maxlife ATF

I got away from keeping oil between yearly changes.. I'm changing this! Seems like every oil change time I have a hard time finding the oil I prefer. My old vehicles just really need Supertech or whatever cheap high mileage. Filters though I prefer to stick with oem-ish. Walmart didn't have FL400S this time ugh, had to get it from OReillys. I'll just pick some up or the next year, hopefully less hassle.

I have 2-5qt jugs M1 5W-30 EP plus 3 quarts of M1 ESP 0W-30 and 1 quart of HPL EC.
After the next change (any day now), I will have 2-5qt jugs M1 5W-30 EP and I believe 13-quarts HPL 5W-30 PCMO + 6 quarts HPL Premium Plus. I say "I believe" because I've not yet opened the boxes in which the oil is packed. Maybe I'll find a surprise!

Right now 1 oil change.
Sometimes 4.
Issue is weight, I use 5w 30 new cars use 0w 20.
I don't want to much 5w 30 on hand if I need a new car

After the next change (any day now), I will have 2-5qt jugs M1 5W-30 EP and I believe 13-quarts HPL 5W-30 PCMO + 6 quarts HPL Premium Plus. I say "I believe" because I've not yet opened the boxes in which the oil is packed. Maybe I'll find a surprise!
As it turned out, I have 25 quarts of HPL oil, 13 quarts of 5W-30 PCMO + 12 quarts of Premium Plus. Apart from what's shown here, there's one other quart elsewhere that was part of the gifts in the HPL "Swag Bag."

Thanks so much to Dave and all the great folks at HPL for being such gracious and thoughtful hosts ... and a standing ovation to Aleah for her killer banana pudding. I'd love to add her recipe to my collection.

HPL Cases.jpg

Shel.

When asked what do you want for your free case of oil as a distance award from driving across the country to see us at the open house you simply said, “just give me 6 quarts of standard PCMO”. I gave you an open door to get whatever you wanted regardless of cost. I felt your integrity was absolutely worth rewarding. Thanks for being considerate and thanks again for making the trip.

David

Back