How much mpg do you lose in winter?

Hey folks,

How much mpg do you lose in winter vs. the best of what you get in spring/summer/fall?

I don't have a trip computer in my car, but by my manual calculations I got 28 mpg in late summer/early fall and now that temps have plunged here in central Alberta, I only got 23.7 mpg on my last tank. That's a drop of about 15%.

Just wondering if this is normal/typical.

With the HAH I see a reduction of around 12% average and maybe 8% with wife's Forester.

My F150 drops from 18 mpg summer to 17 in winter, so about 6%. Mostly from having to push through colder, denser air, and possibly from "winter blend gas", which I am not convinced is actually a thing here in CT.

It's not the dead of winter yet, but I've gone from 27-28mpg in nice summer weather and am around 26mpg as of late. mid to high 30 degree mornings are typical this time of year, we've had a few mornings in the 20's.

Chevy is too new - no clue. Hyundai doesn’t really seem to change, it does what it does. The van (hybrid) loses a lot when it gets cold. The battery systems prefers room temp vs hot or cold. Usually changes 2/3 MPG for every 30F of fluctuation. High as 36 (mild summer) and low as 27 (freezing winter.)

The three most determining factors of MPG seem to be: tire pressure, weather, driving conditions.

I can get 21mpg in summer and about 18 in winter in my 2018 F150 4x4 SC, 2.7L EB. I think there is a fuel related aspect to this, as every once in a while I get a batch of fuel and my winter MPG goes back up to normal. The truck does not get significantly better mpg with zero ethanol fuel, so it is likely not the ethanol content. Maybe octane? Or some other aspect?

My 2009 5.4L does get much better MPG with zero ethanol fuel. And winter does not seem to make much difference. It gets 14mpg unless I put in E-0, then it might get 16.

In winter (on my Tacoma) I swap my Michelin LTXs with Goodyear Duratrac‘s. The wheel/tire combos are within 3-4 pounds of each other but with the Goodyears I can feel the difference in rolling resistance them moment I drive off and I lose about 3-4 highway mpg on the Goodyears. However, I have such a long commute to work I appreciate the added surefooted traction they deliver. One inch or two feet of snow I’ll make it home safe.

I think my 99 Camry would drop from 30 to 26? in the worst, the coldest of days, tire pressure as low as it gets due to temp drop and snow tires. Think more 28. So around 10%.

Lots of highway so cold start penalty not so bad.

I can get 21mpg in summer and about 18 in winter in my 2018 F150 4x4 SC, 2.7L EB. I think there is a fuel related aspect to this, as every once in a while I get a batch of fuel and my winter MPG goes back up to normal. The truck does not get significantly better mpg with zero ethanol fuel, so it is likely not the ethanol content. Maybe octane? Or some other aspect?

My 2009 5.4L does get much better MPG with zero ethanol fuel. And winter does not seem to make much difference. It gets 14mpg unless I put in E-0, then it might get 16.

Winter blend gas has higher vapour pressure, to assist with cold starting and cold running, apparently. And apparently this also results is slightly less energy density and therefore less mpg, in addition to whatever less mpg E10 gets vs. E0, because of the ethanol.

Hey folks, I've tried to compile a list of reasons mpg is less in winter. Let me know if I've forgotten anything or if I've gotten anything wrong.

1. Lower tire pressure (if you've forgotten to add more air as the temperatures drop).

2. Possibly higher rolling resistance of your winter tires (depends on the tires I guess).

3. Denser cold air means more drag.

4. More engine time spent below normal operating temperature.

5. More time spent idling waiting for the car to warm up.

6. Winter blend gas is a bit less energy dense.

7. Slippery surfaces means more wheel spinning.

8. Some transmissions won't get to higher gears (or lock up the torque converter clutch?) until fully warmed up.

9. Cold temperatures harder on charging system/alternator? (Not sure about this one, just guessing.)

10. Longer nights mean you're more likely to be running your lights.

11. Running the rear defroster.

12. Heavier winter steel wheels maybe.

13. More AWD/4WD usage.

On the other hand there's a few things helping to *increase* mpg in winter too:

A. You've got your windows rolled up presumably, so less drag.

B. You don't have the AC on.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I've tried to compile a list of reasons mpg is less in winter. Let me know if I've forgotten anything or if I've gotten anything wrong.

1. Lower tire pressure (if you've forgotten to add more air as the temperatures drop).

2. Possibly higher rolling resistance of your winter tires (depends on the tires I guess).

8. Some transmissions won't get to higher gears (or lock up the torque converter clutch?) until fully warmed up.

9. Cold temperatures harder on charging system/alternator? (Not sure about this one, just guessing.)

13. Donuts in the snowy parking lot ❄️

13. More AWD/4WD usage.

That list doesn’t apply to folks living where there isn’t a lot of freeze hours.

Back