How much has your auto insurance gone up/down in the last year?

More uninsured motorists causing accidents. I will wait for CKN to correct me.
So you are saying the 12.6% of drivers not carrying insurance are the one's causing the accidents? You have statistics for this?

I understand this, but the premiums have been steadily going up for years now, despite steady decreases in crash fatalities. So now we have two years of increased fatalities and the premiums jump up even more. Something doesn't add app. Maybe they're trying to recoup losses from somewhere else? Maybe it's juts pure corporate greed and opportunist mentality.
Who knows, but I highly doubt the answer is as simple as people speeding and being more reckless.

I assume they follow inflation, but AFAIK location and the model of car has something to do with it. I don't necessarily agree with the companies' methods and reasons though, especially with their customers that have no claims. Pretty much an easy cash grab for these insurance companies and that's why I have no loyalty to any of them. The biggest proof of that is how your insurance premium drops when you decide to switch companies. Like why is Geico charging me almost $130/month when it was under $120 last year; and why is Progressive offering me $90/month for a financed CX5 when they wouldn't lower my rates from $230/month 3 years ago in a focus. It's a nice big "F-U" to take advantage of customer's loyalty.

I'm paying $3600/yr for the 3 vehicles in my sig with my wife, myself and 20yr/old daughter on the policy. I've got two boys with learner's permits as well. I am bracing for it.

16 year old girl on policy added $ 600.

Her vehicle 2013 Acura ILX added another $320.

Previously wife/I paid $900 in full for two vehicles full coverage.

I'm currently shopping for Homeowners/Auto/Boat/RV. My rates have gone up 30%.... Thus far I've went from $1600 per year to $800 per year going from SAFCO to Progressive for auto. I haven't had much success with my other insurable toys/home.

These posts have me nervous about my upcoming auto insurance year in March. My carrier had an end of the wagon train discount in 2020 of about 3%. In 2021 the rates went up about 5 %. In 2022 they went up went up about 9%. Home owners ins. was up sharply last year, about 10%. Two vehicles have Col. and Comp. coverage. In 2020, for the first time in abut 30 years, I had a comp. claim on one vehicle for vandalism. In 2022 I had a Coll. claim from my wife backing into a pole. I got some fight back on that for some reason. My policy supposedly has a lifetime accident forgiveness on premium surcharges. For 15 year policy holders. I've been with them for about 45 years.

I feel lucky. Have State Farm Mutual, my wife’s car full coverage has remained static this year, my personal car has went down about 10%, and my soon to be 21 year old son’s car has decreased 30%. My homeowners is a far different story.

USAA up 40%. :-(
That's insane, not just the amount, but especially from USAA. I've had them for my auto and home owner's insurance for over 25 years, and I don't think I've ever had a rate increase of more than 2 or 3%. My last increase raised my rate $8 every 6 months, and I've filed several claims with them, including an at-fault accident my wife was in that totaled out our vehicle, and the vehicle she hit....I'm curious to know if USAA told you why the rate went up so much...

I had USAA auto insurance back in the 90s. Their premiums used to be unbeatable, but not anymore.
They still have the lowest vehicle rates for me compared to any other company I've gotten quotes from. I don't know if they are the absolute lowest for my home owners, but they were at least competitive, so I left my home owners with them...

I have my auto and home owners through USAA, and they rarely raise my rates. If they do, it's always been less than 5%. Unfortunately, they don't offer motorcycle insurance, so I currently have that through Geico. My bike policy renews in January, and they just sent me a statement in the mail to let me know my rate was going from $205 a year, to $305 a year for my two bikes. No specific reason was given for the increase. After doing some shopping around, I found that Progressive offered the same coverage for $151 a year. I will switch to them, then in a year or two I'm sure Progressive will jack up my rate as well, then I'll probably go back to Geico because they will offer me a lower rate to get me back. This insurance garbage is such a crock...

Same here, up about $20 month. On top of that I also noticed they tried to pull a fast one and take away my glass coverage. This is State farm, needless to say I'll be shopping around

Back