How Much for Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
It really depends on what you want your standard of living to be. Plus you have to remember the value of said money in the future. $1M today is not the same as $1M in 40 years, or 40 years ago.

Do a simple budget and figure out what sort of lifestyle you want to live.

This.

Someone living in a very low cost of living area in a meager home has a far different cost than someone living in a pricier area.

My grandparents have always been frugal, careful with money, etc., but now have a $15k or so property tax bill. They love and want to stay in their home - nothing wrong with that. But it certainly changes the kind of money needed.

Because hopefully youre living off savings favorably taxed, let's say youre in the 15% bracket versus roughly 30%. That's a savings. But then what? healthcare? Taxes? Inflation? Something to keep you busy?

Lots to consider. Based upon how things look right now, figure this:

1% return on cash, 3% dividend on stocks.

Figure what your net salary is, multiply it by 1.15. That is your base required income.

Figure your retirement age, and assume a good death age (say 30 years if you retire at 65, or be more conservative and say 105!). Calculate the number of years

Say inflation will run 4% going forward. Then your last year's required income is LY=base(1.04)^years

Personally, Id then shoot for getting enough money so that your income from the money would provide that LY valuation your first year of retirement.

This is just me thinking and talking out loud on how I try to do it. There are far more complex formulas assuming draw down of principal, etc.

But in my example, let's say someone takes home 100k their last year before retuirement, at 65.

$100k*1.15=115k
Retire 65, die 95. 30 years
Last year income = 115*(1.04)^30 = 372k
So that means that a target, no-drawdown retirement nest egg would need to be about $10M with 3% dividend payouts to be safe.

Now this may be impractical, but this style analysis gives a great target to shoot for.

Of course if you were to draw down, the amount required would be far lower.

But unfortunately given how things look, being on the safe side is the best option.

Remember also that likely some of your money will be paid by social security.

Im sure Ill get flamed for my calculation, but its how I shoot for a goal. If I dont get there, Ill still be sure of a comfortable retirement.

If you put away as much as you reasonably can, as early as you can, you will be totally fine. Do not fall into the trap of "well I want ALL of my money NOW" and do 0%...then hit age 50 and realize you're behind the curve.

I do not plan to retire in the US, or I'd estimate I'd need 2M just in case I live to 100 or my wife live significantly longer than me.

What I'd do is to pick a place where I can get low cost or free health care, pay a bit in tax and spend a lot of time waiting for doctors in line, and refuse every late stage medical procedures.

Also on my will I'd refuse to be buried or spend money on funeral (maybe a pre-made video distributed to friends and families online would be sufficient), and have my relatives throw my ash into the ocean. I'd be happy to have inheritance left for others I know that will put them to good use (education, paying off home loans, charity, etc) but wasting them is not my intention.

I'd figure if I can save at least 300k I'd be fine in the middle of Indonesia or Malaysia, if 150k maybe I have to settle for inland rural China, if I have less than that then maybe I'll be fine living off welfare in the US.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
My plan is to move all the jobs back from China and have elderly folks who didn't save a dime, work and live on the factory campus, just like China. Laugh, or not like it - but it's not going to be pretty....and well the alternatives may be rougher.

I almost fell out of my chair seeing this, from Pablo?

From the angle of a purely business driven decision making, elderly folks who has to retire because they couldn't work any further will not be a very cost efficient work force, even if they are paid for by food and shelter only, and compare to Chinese salary.

Only a little facetious on my part, but some people need to wake up. I think their real plan is to sponge off the people who saved....I have to admit I may consider other countries for retirement. Probably not, but one wonders if all all these countries will be receptive to retired USA people. Money talks as they say.

It depends on how you want to live when you retire, and if you plan to fully retire or remain at least partially productive.

The problem is that most 20 and 30 somethings are too wrapped up in car payments (or leases), jumbo size house payments and credit card debt to actually invest in their own future. There is a lot of opportunity with the available investments, as well as the advice that's available today, and even on a modest income you should easily be able to invest and end up with more than 1 million dollars by the time retirement looms.

Can you retire on a modest pension or savings? Sure. Would you want to retire on a modest pension or savings? I sure wouldn't. That being said, in my opinion, if you retire today you should have at least 1.5 million in investments to retire on, over and above a pension or social security.

The investments my wife and I made when we were in our 20's and 30's are the ones that, over time, have netted us the highest return. I doubt that I'll ever fully retire (it's too much fun being productive) but if I do ever decide to completely hang my hat up, we will be comfortable on the investments we made 30 and 40 years ago. We were guided by a good investment counselor and it's paid off handsomely. We also never wrapped ourselves up in car payments (or even worse, a lease), huge house payments or credit card debt. We built most of our home equity in sweat equity, and it's something that I don't often see in younger people today.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Pablo said:
My plan is to move all the jobs back from China and have elderly folks who didn't save a dime, work and live on the factory campus, just like China. Laugh, or not like it - but it's not going to be pretty....and well the alternatives may be rougher.

Yep, I met an 80 year old lady working at the supermarket doing the Hallmark card displays not because she was bored and wanted to get out of the house..... but because her husband died and they did not financially plan on 'out living' their retirement savings.

I'm at 30% of my gross pay invested for my retirement and I feel that is still not enough, next year I'm bumping it up. I know I will get an inheritance but I have never factored that money as cash in the bank retirement funds.

I know LOTS of retired folks in the USA are in 'survival mode' and watching every penny because the cost of living is outpacing their savings.

53 YO now.

I have Amsoil for a decent kicker and when I "retire" I can cover my local area much better.

I have my SBP business that should still be growing.

I have my SS.

I may have a tiny pension from the current company, but it was frozen earlier. Not sure what it will be when I retire.

Plus mainly I have my investments - the stupid trap I fell into, was in my 20's I was only putting in 8% because I was told that would be enough. I did pop into the lower teens in my 30's and early 40's. I know it's sorta an OK start, but man if I had been socking 15-20% back then, I would already be on my own! Now with 25% going to retirement - catch up is not as sweet.

53 YO now.

I have Amsoil for a decent kicker and when I "retire" I can cover my local area much better.

I have my SBP business that should still be growing.

I have my SS.

I may have a tiny pension from the current company, but it was frozen earlier. Not sure what it will be when I retire.

Plus mainly I have my investments

The advantage you (wisely) have is you've diversified your retirement income, and since some of it is in active businesses you can grow the income if you choose to do so and continue to work it after you "retire" from your primary career.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It really depends on what you want your standard of living to be. Plus you have to remember the value of said money in the future. $1M today is not the same as $1M in 40 years, or 40 years ago.

Do a simple budget and figure out what sort of lifestyle you want to live.

I intend to retire with far more than $1M in the bank. I would like to be able to leave some money behind for the family beyond just my house, cars, etc.

Good advice. Coming up with an arbitrary lump sum amount is silly without doing a budget and then calculating the present value to see the sum in today's dollars.

What the OP needs is:
- how many years after retirement he intends to be alive?

- what are the out of pocket expenses he anticipates per year of retirement? Budget to consume substantial amounts during the last 2 years of life and basically burn through all the assets when moving to a nursing home prior to becoming eligible for Medicaid coverage of the nursing home expenses.

- based on these two, calculate the present value on the day of retirement. And then calculate the PV as of today.

Based on these, then it will be possible to come up with a savings schedule.

Don't ever forget that retirement probably means "fixed income". Some locations become expensive to live in, over time. Jupiter, Florida is a great example. I moved here in 1991, my property taxes were $330. Today, I pay just over $6,000. Had I been retired for those 20 years, that would have been a "killer" increase.

A quick look at the CPI shows that the $330 should have increased to $548.60! Bottom line: I'm dealing with a 1000% increase.

Only a little facetious on my part, but some people need to wake up. I think their real plan is to sponge off the people who saved....I have to admit I may consider other countries for retirement. Probably not, but one wonders if all all these countries will be receptive to retired USA people. Money talks as they say.

So true - a decent nest egg does a 1%er make. And guess who is going to be gone after?

The best advice I can give is to go to Vanguard and get their retirement planner. My wife and I used it to show us what it would take to retire at 55 when we were 10 years away. It asks you a lot of questions about your lifestyle and also lets you try to vary different aspects: what if I save more, what if I spend less, etc.

When you're all done it tells you how much money you need to save each month to meet your goal. You then track your progress and it tells you if you are on track or what you need to do to fix it.

Bottom line: we retired at 55, I'm now 62 and I wouldn't change a thing. The planner was the best $60. I ever spent.

I save and invest as much as I can - it comes to about 15% of my fairly meager earnings. I'm very content with living quite frugally, especially as I get older, and I know I'll realistically probably have to have a part time job in "retirement", whatever that is!

Yea, if "they" start going after private savings and investment accounts, I'd move to Mexico before putting up with that music. I can honestly see the government raiding public and private pension plans though and trying to force every working person into a privately owned/publicly run style retirement account system like some South American countries. Problem is, I want to make the decisions about it and I don't want it forced on me. It's Social Security except with the burden on the worker.

Just do what every other yankee does. Sell your house for alot of dough and move to Florida in a retirement community, purchase a house for half (or less), and live off the rest. We have complete cities down here just for them.

How do I know? The "city" always forms with the following: a bank (need a place to store money), a pharmacy (need to stay alive), a grocery store, gas station, a water tower, then a doctor (if it is over 30 minutes from a major city).

If this does not appeal to you, then consider the location of retirement. Location means everything to cost analysis. I live off of what many of you consider "poor" wages - AND I live fairly comfortable with nice stuff using some basic money management skills, but I would never be able to do so in many other places in this country due to cost of living.

For instance, I could probably get away with retiring with 500k in funds. Maybe as low as 350k. That's with taking in inflation. My parents will probably do it with 200-250k.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Just do what every other yankee does.

The OP is not a yankee - not sure if his house price will afford him to sell it and move to Florida.

Well since some of us are baring it all, I'll show mine too. 48 yrs old, 150K in a 457K (def comp) and currently 15% (of gross) contribition each paycheck, a defined benefits plan pension that if I go to max 32 yrs (age 57 for me, hired @ 25) pays 76% of whatever a 20 yr longevity base salary is at that time. House will be paid off five yrs from now, barring anything catastrophic happening medically, etc. Wife will have SS, but not me due to my "gov't job." My 457K was much better before the last market "correction" and I'm still in a moderately aggressive strategy. I'd like to have the 457 up to 500K at retirement time, if these "corrections" would leave my account alone I might be able to achieve that. We live in a low cost of living area but don't really want to retire here. We're both up for retiring outside the USA if when that time comes there are reasonable retirement options (secure and not victimized routinely by locals) in some select foreign locales. Some countries are even offering incentives to attract "Pensionados" from Europe and North America. Costa Rica is one such, but has some ground to cover stability-wise and security-wise before I would be ready to take my wife there to live. Some of the expat publications even tout Nicaragua but no thanks. Still too volatile. Good way to get robbed regularly and maybe offed, or kidnapped for ransom.

I spend about 32K bucks/ year. I live pretty frugally.

I take frequent trips down to WV to see my Daughter.

I own nothing. With that I can replace a 25K vehicle every 7 years, Take a couple vacations, Insurance is a big factor. Health insurance (including SS) has been costing 4500/year. For the next 5 years though my health cost will only be about 2400/year bc of an arrangement with my company.

I may move to WV where I can live maybe 25% cheaper. I would guess in Kentucky/WV you could live 40% cheaper than say NY and any of the Left Coast states.

I have been retired 11 years.

Last edited:
The calculator/article on Fidelity states that putting away 10-15% of your paycheck is "a very good start." Is this going to be enough, if I plan on keeping expenses at around 30k per year?
15% seems low.

From an endowment standpoint, withdrawing 5% of the balance annually will enable the principal to continue indefinitely.

That assumes that you want to leave $$ to kids when you're gone.

Some good advice I got was "You didn't plan your complete work career when you were 21 - why would you plan your complete retirement at 62?" Plan your first 5 years of retirement and see how you did when you get to the 5 year mark.

OTOH, nobody ever retired with too much money. If you have extra, support some charities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back