How much do people spend to install a tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, I am looking at local shops in my area to have my mastercraft tires put on the Equinox. I am getting quotes from 20-45 a tire (45!!) I was curious what people from around spend to get a tire mounted and balanced. My car doesn't have a TPMS so it wouldn't need to be programmed for the new tires.

Try walmart or another big chain.. They wont rape your wallet like an independent with "didnt buy em here pricing"

The independent shop I use charges $80/set if you are bringing tires from outside. I don't believe that the TPMS would need to be updated if you are using the same wheels, anyway, just FYI. My shop doesn't charge for TPMS resets, but they often do not get it right and I have to head back to redo it!
Are you sure the $45/tire doesn't include an alignment? That sounds crazy expensive!!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Hey everybody, I am looking at local shops in my area to have my mastercraft tires put on the Equinox. I am getting quotes from 20-45 a tire (45!!) I was curious what people from around spend to get a tire mounted and balanced. My car doesn't have a TPMS so it wouldn't need to be programmed for the new tires.

Check on TireRack.com. You can plug in your zipcode and it will spit out a list of installers in your area including pricing.

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp

I agree that a place like Walmart may be one of the cheapest. The question is, do you trust them? People don't trust places like these for oil changes, and I would be hesitant to trust them with my wheels as well.

Walmart charged me $65 for 4 tires mounted and balanced in November. That's where I always go.

I've used Wal-Mart for eons to mount tires I've bought elsewhere. Never had an issue but they are sometimes a little slow

$20 for a mount, balance and valve stem is reasonable. The shop quoting you $45 is basically telling you to go somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
$20 for a mount, balance and valve stem is reasonable. The shop quoting you $45 is basically telling you to go somewhere else.

At also depends on what that $20 price entails. Most shops will also charge you extra for things like disposal fees, valve stems, and shop fees, but they won't tell you about it until it's all done, so make sure to compare OTD pricing.

£10 for a single or £20 for four.

It helps when you have a good relationship with a local independent and give them beer at Christmas
wink.gif

I bought a manual tire changer and balancer 16 years ago.Best investment ever.Other than the cost of new stems,wheel weights and tire recycling ($4.00) tire mounting is free.

Originally Posted By: chainblu

Yeah, I didn't want to laugh in his face and hang up. The quote of a mount and balance is $20. Assuming this doesn't include disposal and shop fees/taxes I am sure the price would be more. To offer more information I only asked for the mounting and balancing of my tires so the 45 quote was confirmed as only mounting/balancing of the tire and a new valve stem. In regards to Walmart, the only one that has a tire service near me is roughly a 40 minute drive and with a wife and 4 month baby it isn't that easy for me to get out of the house. The quotes I received were either within walking distance of my work and home.

The shop I use for my Tire Rack installations charges around $55 OTD for all 4 tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I bought a manual tire changer and balancer 16 years ago.Best investment ever.Other than the cost of new stems,wheel weights and tire recycling ($4.00) tire mounting is free.

do you have a link of a good manual changer? I did a quick google search and found something like this. Little out of my budget but def. something worth investing for family tires changes etc.

http://www.eautotools.com/category-s/384.htm

Originally Posted By: Olas
£10 for a single or £20 for four.

It helps when you have a good relationship with a local independent and give them beer at Christmas
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
A little beer goes a long way!

$28 a tire is the most I have ever paid out-the-door.

Last edited:
Does DTD also have a list of recommended installers? I don't know if they do, but it's worth checking.

The last set I had mounted/balanced was at my local Firestone Complete Auto. They have modern/high-tech balancers (including a road force machine). They charged me just under $90. That included lifetime rotate and balance and a TPMS rebuild.

Now that I type that I just remembered that I also had a set of tires installed at my local Discount Tire. It was something like $90 or so. That also included lifetime rotate and balance and TPMS rebuild.

I don't go for the very cheapest places. I go for a place I like that I think will do a good job.

Most places here in OK charge in the neighborhood of $15 + tax per wheel. When you factor in disposal fees, new valve stems, it comes out to about $20 after tax per.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

do you have a link of a good manual changer? I did a quick google search and found something like this. Little out of my budget but def. something worth investing for family tires changes etc.

http://www.eautotools.com/category-s/384.htm

Looks like the ones from Harbor Freight.

I have the HF tire changer tool, it's flimsy but I've done a few tires on it. I don't think I would do my Toyota rims again on it though, as the rim design is just harder to work with. The tire balance tool was a joke though--the parts don't fit well together.

If you go this route I'd get a second set of rims so that you can take the assemblies someplace to balance--or get a good tire balancer.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Try walmart or another big chain.. They wont rape your wallet like an independent with "didnt buy em here pricing"

Walmart or a used tire place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back