Mastercraft Strategy tires (I'm cheap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have an opinion on these? I was originally going to go with General tires but was able to get a really good deal on a set of Mastercraft Strategy tires. I know they are a subsidiary of Cooper and are generally considered a decent tire but nothing special. Not sure what people felt about these tires?

This is for my Chevy Equinox in the signature. it is an older car so I didn't want to spend a ton of money on new rubber. I was able to get them for $57 a tire.

Have a set of Mastercraft Touring LSRs on the Grand Prix. They came with the car. They are kind of loud and they don't have real great traction if I lay into it and the blower spins up.

However, they have had good tread wear, pretty decent handling and are very good in the rain.

At 57 dollars you can't go wrong. They will be fine.

Assuming you're just driving to and from work in favorable conditions, I've never had bad experiences with bottom shelf tires.

Discount Tire sells a certain brand of truck tire that is made in the USA in the same factory as Yokohama and they're a freaking steal. Cost around $103/tire and ride smooth and quiet. I wouldn't use them for road racing or in deep snow but for everything else I couldn't tell the difference between them and some more expensive Goodyears.

I run them on my buick in the summer as my work car , great in the wet weather and I used to have Hankook, but for 60 bucks a tire and ,,, my tire vendor does free rotation and flat repairs for the life of the tire, can't beat that with a stick
grin.gif

My experience with the mastercraft avenger gt was okay but they wore quickly. I got my money out of them though and it's a better Tire than many you can buy. They all balanced well

Never used the Strategys, but I have used Mastercraft tires (Avenger GTs and Glacier Grip II) and have nothing bad to say.

We have a set on the '99 MGM. They are round, hold air, remain balanced and don't scare me on the road.

A competent inoffensive tire.

Let's us know after the next winter storm if these are heroes or Zeroes. Also 15k after installation if still quiet. It seems to be 50/50 if they are decent with no name tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Let's us know after the next winter storm if these are heroes or Zeroes. Also 15k after installation if still quiet. It seems to be 50/50 if they are decent with no name tires.

will do. From what I read they should be decent in snow. I am not hoping for anything soon but I will give a report on how they do. In terms of cheap tires I figured mastercrafts are a step above the unknown tires so I felt a little more comfortable. Plus for $57 a tire I figured what the heck.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
We have a set on the '99 MGM. They are round, hold air, remain balanced and don't scare me on the road.

A competent inoffensive tire.

Fingers crossed I have the same experience. Exactly what I am looking for

My experience with Mastercraft was not so great. I am not sure what model they were but they wore out very quickly and were about the worst tire I have ever owned. I personally would buy a used one before I but another Mastercraft but it sounds like some have had success with them. Hope they work out for you.

I've always been satisfied with Mastercraft and the other off brand Cooper tires.

So I had the tires installed recently and over all I am really surprised at how nice they are. The ride is quiet and the steering is solid. Snow/rain traction is excellent. Hopefully these attributes will maintain through the life of the tire. This isn't a sporty tire but as a good all season tire for an older commuter car I have zero complaints.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Mastercraft are decent tires. Just don't buy Fusion or anything else that sounds Chinese.

You will put your family at risk-and all others on the road at risk. Just like the semi trucks that run Doublecoin and a whole myriad of Chinese made tires-over million of miles.

Mastercraft is a very good brand. The Strategy was an excellent better offering in their lineup. Probably the reason they were $57 a shoe is because that model has been discontinued.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Mastercraft is a very good brand. The Strategy was an excellent better offering in their lineup. Probably the reason they were $57 a shoe is because that model has been discontinued.

+1 I think you're right. Too bad really. I would have bought another set for when I needed replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back