Mastercraft Courser LTR in snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a great deal on a new set of Mastercraft Courser LTRs for a K5 Blazer (4WD). These are to replace a set of Goodyear Wranglers that were removed due to age.

Has anyone used these in the snow, or do you have an idea how they would do?

I am no expert, but know enough about tires to see that they have a fairly generic and boring-looking tread, as if they will be decent for any task, but not particularly well-suited for anything either. I'd call them a highway/mild off-road style.

The Blazer's main use during the winter is plowing, during which I chain up the tires due to my driveway being a hill. My concern is my wife needing to drive the Blazer to get fuel if I am not home. My job can take me out of the state or country for weeks at a time. In discussing this, my wife has decided that she doesn't feel comfortable mounting or removing the chains (we've been through this many times). She also doesn't want anything to do with filling the fuel tank by hand using a can and a funnel, for fear of spilling something on herself. I wish she would have told me all of this, especially that she wanted me to shop for a dedicated snow tire, beforehand! Ideally I could trust the tires I have purchased, as they are, to get her around without chains if she has to go into town. In a pinch, a neighbor could help her get the chains on if she absolutely had to, but I'd rather not ask too many favors. I don't know if perhaps I should get the Mastercraft tires siped, or bite the bullet and invest in a set of actual snow tires. Comments?

They’re just all-seasons, so they won’t be very good in the snow.

Get real snow tires with the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Not many dedicated snow tires I'm seeing in that size.

I got a great deal on the LTRs, no opportunity for the AXT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back