How may people keep a car for a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you spread the cost of the engine and tranny work over 30 years it's not bad at all. And all the little stuff on the body has been trouble free. These costs are certainly easier to accept than depreciation on a new car purchase. And I can actually get where I'm going without heated seats, climate control, an automatic transmission, back up camera, sun roof, power door locks, power windows and seats and who know what on any new car I might purchase. All that stuff is great and you should have it if you want it but I can get by without it.

My family has always driven cars until they die... not the best maintenance program though. Now knowing what we know about engines and oil, I plan to keep my 2003 CRV until I hit 500,000.

I'm the last owner before a car is scrapped. My first '88 BMW 528e purchased in 7/96 with 149.5 K miles on the odometer. I retired the Borman6 in 12/08 with 350K miles. It never needed a tow. I had a Bentley manual and a forum of like minded knuckleheads on the internet. I have never driven a car so long or so far. I replaced normal wear items. I didn't even pull the valve cover until it hit 300k. Just fooling around at 330k I ran in 2 until the rev limiter shut off the injectors at 5200 rpm.It was doing 70 mph. In 5/07, I put a 2" #10 sheet metal screw through the left front of the hood to hold it shut. I was in the parking lot of a hamburger joint in Ellie Jay GA . It was the terminus of a scenic road drive through the mountains south of Chattanooga after 5er Fest '07. We drove straight through to Hartford CT without messing with the screw. Rust is the decider in these parts.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: CKN
Who here has purchased a new car and kept it for a long time as a daily driver?

I'll start the response with my 84 Honda Civic wagon purchased new for cash and used contentiously as a daily driver for 30 years and now has 430K+ miles on the clock. I understand that this can not happen in the rust belt but there has to be other members that keep cars for a long time.

The car has been completely reliable and I have no plans to every sell it or stop using it every day. Tell me about your long term daily driver.

What parts have you replaced, and where were you when said parts broke?

Nothing has ever "broke". Everything works. The car has never failed to start and get me where I'm going and has never stranded my while driving someplace. I rebuilt the tranny at 200K because some of the bearing were making noise but the gears and syncros were in perfect condition. I use Red Line MTL. The engine was rebuilt at 420K but only because the oil control rings failed and it would not pass smog, visible smoke. I rebuilt everything because I had it apart. I purchased an NOS rebuild kit. I farmed out the machine work and did the rest in my garage at home. I use Red Line 0w-30 engine oil and NAPA Gold oil filters (1392).

Then it's not the same car you purchased if you substantially "rebuilt" major components. On most cars out of the rust belt you could perform the same task and put a half a million miles on them. I think we are confusing "reliability" verses just how long an owner wants to keep rebuilding a car.

I mildly disagree. He still has the major housings in the transmission and engine. He's only freshened the wear surfaces in both. Give him credit for getting the engine to 420k and really only having to replace the rings. If he didn't live in a state that tests for emissions, and didn't care about driving an engine that smokes out the exhaust, he could still be driving it. But as long as he was going to tear down the engine to re-ring it, why not freshen up other things as long as he was at it?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I mildly disagree. He still has the major housings in the transmission and engine. He's only freshened the wear surfaces in both. Give him credit for getting the engine to 420k and really only having to replace the rings. If he didn't live in a state that tests for emissions, and didn't care about driving an engine that smokes out the exhaust, he could still be driving it. But as long as he was going to tear down the engine to re-ring it, why not freshen up other things as long as he was at it?

Exactly; none of the major repairs were required to keep the car running.

The transmission bearings were making some noise and OP decided to investigate and replace.

And the rings....again not a necessary repair and did not cause engine failure, but rather mandated by CA smog laws.

I guess, as usual, BITOGers are haggling over exactly what it means to repair vs properly maintain. I say OP has properly maintained his vehicle. Preventive maintenance:
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I've had my Ranger for almost 8 years. It has only 56k miles on it and I typically put about 5k a year on it, so it will last many, many more years. I plan on keeping it until it's pretty much dead, which I anticipate won't be for at least another 15 years, unless it gets totaled.

My Accord has been in the family for almost exactly 20 years, and it's been mine for the past 9 years. I also plan to keep this until it's dead, which shouldn't be for at least 7 more years.

The Bronco I bought about a year ago from my in-laws. They're the original owners. I plan on keeping it pretty much forever.

The Explorer, which is really my mother's car, she's owned for 19 years. She'll probably keep it for just a few more years.

The Subaru is brand new, but we plan on keeping that for at least 10 years.

So, yeah, I keep my vehicles a long time.

My neighbor is the only guy I personally know that pulled 600k out of a car. It was an old diesel Mercedes that he brought home from Germany in the early 80s IIRC. He sold it to a guy at work who ended up skimping out on the remaining 50% of the payments.

He has a Datsun diesel in an S10 now that has been in 2 or 3 prior cars. He is guessing that it has around 400k. They also have a 4x4 Toyota rav4 that is pushing 250k. They are hard miles too.. mostly to town and back. I don't think its had a bath its whole life and up until last August, we lived on a dirt road.

He recently bought a low mile GMC Sonoma that he takes very good care of. No hay bales in the bed etc. He just hates the poor fuel economy compared to the diesel.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: supton
What is a long time?

Which she drove for 10yr/173k. I decided it needed to be replaced, I had fears about rusty brake lines.

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier and cheaper to wire brush the corrosion back to bare metal, and smear some vaseline over the area. Guaranteed effective and a whole lot cheaper...

Possible, but was not interested. Did not want to dig into such large work back then (nor now). Did not want to replace the brake system and still not have ABS. It lacked side airbags. And it was on the small side.

Some of us are not enthusiasts.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

The transmission bearings were making some noise and OP decided to investigate and replace.

And the rings....again not a necessary repair and did not cause engine failure, but rather mandated by CA smog laws.

I guess, as usual, BITOGers are haggling over exactly what it means to repair vs properly maintain. I say OP has properly maintained his vehicle. Preventive maintenance:
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I disagree, by that standard anything moving and running is good to go. Removing an engine to re-ring it because it does not pass emissions is not maintenance. Not saying this is good or bad, it had tons of miles on it so it was time and it is awesome it went that far, but I guarantee if I came in here and said I had to do the transmission in my 01 Grand Prix at 190,000 because the pump started to whine, you can bet no one would down play it.

This sounds like my pervious neighbor that has an Odyssey, 2 auto transmission and that was normal maintenance to him. His exact words "The price you pay for Honda reliability" Ugh.
If pulling an engine is normal maintenance. I am good to go, because none of mine have to come out for maintenance.

But I digress if pulling a transmission to do bearings and pulling a motor to do rings in normal maintenance to you folks, I am glad I don't have any of your cars.
smile.gif

Again-there is nothing wrong with keeping a car along time, but maintenance and required repairs to keep a car on the road is two different things. If the OP's Honda needed rings to pass smog-it wasn't "maintenance".

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Kuato

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I disagree, by that standard anything moving and running is good to go. Removing an engine to re-ring it because it does not pass emissions is not maintenance. Not saying this is good or bad, it had tons of miles on it so it was time and it is awesome it went that far, but I guarantee if I came in here and said I had to do the transmission in my 01 Grand Prix at 190,000 because the pump started to whine, you can bet no one would down play it.

This sounds like my pervious neighbor that has an Odyssey, 2 auto transmission and that was normal maintenance to him. His exact words "The price you pay for Honda reliability" Ugh.
If pulling an engine is normal maintenance. I am good to go, because none of mine have to come out for maintenance.

But I digress if pulling a transmission to do bearings and pulling a motor to do rings in normal maintenance to you folks, I am glad I don't have any of your cars.
smile.gif

Agreed 100%.

'61 Buick Invicta.
Was my dad's then became mine; he bought it 1 year old. 1 engine rebuild, 2 trans rebuilds, who knows how much mileage.
But, the tubes in the AM radio are original
smile.gif

Sold to neighbor five years ago. Still running.

The NOS rebuilt kit for the engine, the machine work, clutch kit, radiator and transmission bearings and seals plus misc parts may have cost me about $1,000. I consider my labor to be worth nothing. I really enjoyed doing the work and taking my time to do everything with great care. I used the best of everything. At least it was money well spent. And it's better than the cost of depreciation and loan interest if I did the typical thing of starting over with car payments. The real truth is that I like the car. It has lots of room inside, drives well and gets good gas mileage. I average 37 mpg in mixed driving. The real key to keeping a car a long time is good weather, garage parking, good maintenance and reasonable driving habits and actually liking the car.

I've owned lots of other cars in my time. My wife and I tried to list them all and got to about 50 before quitting. Many of them were purchased to fix up and sell but I usually drove some of them around for a while before letting them go.

A friend that owned a new car dealership used my cash to purchase some trade-ins to keep them out of the deal. It was good cash flow for me and made his life a lot less complicated. There are about 5 or 6 cars I now know I should have kept but it's too late now.

Dang OneEye, 1000 bucks is pretty good. The clutch in my Trans Am is 1000 bucks.
smile.gif
. I enjoy doing that stuff too, even though I complain about working on other people's cars,(Especially the Subaru)it is tongue in cheek. The more cars I fix the more I know, the more I find out lots of cars have the same problems, the more I like my GM stuff
smile.gif

I do however enjoy the value of a good rebuilt long or short block. I have used them in my Turbo Dodges, makes stuff easy.

Good driving habits are a must. I must admit I am good with the Truck and the Equinox. The Trans Am and the Grand Prix? Let's just say, to coin a phrase my good buddy uses for me, "Mike, why are you so mechanically insensitive."
smile.gif

All my stuff but the truck parks inside. I am lucky that in Western Washington rust is basically unheard of.

The NOS engine rebuild kit was in the back of the parts department being ignored. Same with the clutch kit. The parts department was happy to get rid of them. They let me dig around for other small bits and pieces. These parts were older than the parts department manager. I also helped them identify parts for the 2 cylinder Honda N600 sedan that were in several big boxes. I purchased one brand new in 1971 and was very familiar with all the running gear. Some of them did not know Honda made an air cooled 2 cylinder sedan. The parts were quickly sold to a local shop that specialized in those cars and both parties were pleased with the deal.

The NOS rebuilt kit for the engine, the machine work, clutch kit, radiator and transmission bearings and seals plus misc parts may have cost me about $1,000. I consider my labor to be worth nothing. I really enjoyed doing the work and taking my time to do everything with great care. I used the best of everything. At least it was money well spent. And it's better than the cost of depreciation and loan interest if I did the typical thing of starting over with car payments. The real truth is that I like the car. It has lots of room inside, drives well and gets good gas mileage. I average 37 mpg in mixed driving. The real key to keeping a car a long time is good weather, garage parking, good maintenance and reasonable driving habits and actually liking the car.

I've owned lots of other cars in my time. My wife and I tried to list them all and got to about 50 before quitting. Many of them were purchased to fix up and sell but I usually drove some of them around for a while before letting them go.

A friend that owned a new car dealership used my cash to purchase some trade-ins to keep them out of the deal. It was good cash flow for me and made his life a lot less complicated. There are about 5 or 6 cars I now know I should have kept but it's too late now.

Your labor/time is worth something guy. All of us have only have a certain amount of "time" in this life.

No garage, losy weather, road salt. And my time is worth something. Cool that you pulled it off a lesson for us all, but I refuse to berate myself for never getting close to your accomplishment.

I've had eight vehicles over the 22years, two of which were mistakes and which never made it onto the road. Three were beaters and did not get many miles but the job done at the time.

I've owned beaters and I think that everyone should own at least one in their lifetime.

And I'm aware that a big part of my Honda's life is good weather and a garage. It's never seen snow or a salty road, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back