How many sugars in your kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milk has a lot of sugar. By the time a person has had a few servings (1 cup is a serving), they might as well drink a whole can of mountain dew. I also try to avoid anything wheat (which turns into sugar once consumed) and high sugar fruits. Natural or not, sugar is still sugar.

Craft beers are an exception to the rule though.
27.gif

Fruits like apples have enough fiber to slow the absorption of sugar so that your body doesn't get a big hit at once like with fruit juice. Still sugar but not as bad as other alternatives for snacking.

In my kitchen, main sources of sugar are carrot juice, dark chocolate, and bananas. the carrot juice is a compromise from OJ or grapefruit juice with breakfast. It's half the sugar of OJ, and first thing in the morning my body/brain needs a bit of sugar to jump start some mornings.

Cider (hard), wine and coconut water are the other sugar downfalls for me.

Milk is lactose, and while still sugar, it's much better than cane sugar and corn syrup. Pretty much goes right to work and doesn't need any hepatic processing. Obviously, like most things, portion is important. Timing too, if you're active it's not that big a deal. A bowl of frosted flakes at bed time is about the worst thing I can imagine.

I've been on a diet between paleo and primal this year. I still consume dairy, but 90% of my dairy is yogurt or sour cream. Some buttermilk. Fermented dairy is what I try to limit to. Occasional blue cheese dressing or fresh mozzarella still sneak in.

Back to sugar, it's quite amazing how discusting how high sugar/highly processed foods look after a few months on paleo/primal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Milk has a lot of sugar. By the time a person has had a few servings (1 cup is a serving), they might as well drink a whole can of mountain dew. I also try to avoid anything wheat (which turns into sugar once consumed) and high sugar fruits. Natural or not, sugar is still sugar.

27.gif

I drink a lot of milk, i did not realize that!

Is this a trollbait thread where someone goes orthorexia and says XYZ is bad and we all become totally misinformed?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
Is this a trollbait thread where someone goes orthorexia and says XYZ is bad and we all become totally misinformed?
confused.gif

So far i don't see that. I don't mind discussions of differing opinions. Its when inflamatory remarks, namecalling ,cutdowns etc, no facts just heated remarks that make me think of trolling.

I also try to avoid anything wheat (which turns into sugar once consumed) and high sugar fruits. Natural or not, sugar is still sugar.

27.gif

I thought your digestive system breaks down all carbs into sugar. Anything other than protein and roughage gets converted into glucose.

I bake my own bread for my 2 daily PBJs. It has a tablespoon of molasses in it. Granted, the jelly is loaded with sugars. But the peanut butter is just peanuts and salt. I have been sprinkling flax seed meal on the PB too. I try to eat food with very little processing. I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I just try to keep the heart blockage reined in.

I don't get the big deal with living on grains. Humans have been eating grains for about 10K yrs. Adding legumes and you're eating beef, amino acid -wise

Originally Posted By: andyd
I bake my own bread for my 2 daily PBJs. It has a tablespoon of molasses in it. Granted, the jelly is loaded with sugars. But the peanut butter is just peanuts and salt. I have been sprinkling flax seed meal on the PB too. I try to eat food with very little processing. I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I just try to keep the heart blockage reined in.

I don't get the big deal with living on grains. Humans have been eating grains for about 10K yrs. Adding legumes and you're eating beef, amino acid -wise

Be careful with peanut butter. Peanut crops are now rotated with cotton and cotton is sprayed with over 150 chemicals that are absorbed by the peanuts on the next rotation. As much as I love peanut butter I have now substituted organic almond butter.

Also, the problems with grains are of our own making. Now that almost all wheat products are genetically modified we have seen growing issues with consumption. There is a huge difference between grains today and those of 100 years ago.

Quote:

Now that almost all wheat products are genetically modified we have seen growing issues with consumption.

My understanding is NO wheat is GMO; almost all corn is.

According to the King Arthur website

Quote:

All King Arthur flours are non-GMO. King Arthur Flour is milled from wheat sourced exclusively from North America; GMO wheat is not approved for sale or commercial production in North America.

Recent "contamination" in OR

http://rt.com/usa/gmo-wheat-oregon-mystery-275/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

27.gif

Is the Sugar in Milk Natural or Added?
Lactose is the sugar that occurs naturally in milk. Photo Credit Goodshoot/Goodshoot/Getty Images
Lactose is the type of sugar that occurs naturally in milk. It is found in the milk of animals such as cows and goats, as well as human breast milk. Plain cow’s milk purchased in your local grocery store doesn’t contain added sugar. If you purchase flavored milks, such as chocolate or strawberry, sugar is added to the beverage for sweetness. Alternative milks such as almond, soy or oat milk may also contain added sugar. Check the nutrition labels carefully on your milk product to determine whether or not sugar has been added.
Lactose Explained
Lactose is made up of two different sugar molecules: glucose and galactose. Once lactose enters the body, it breaks down into these smaller molecules for easier digestion. This type of sugar is more easily digested in some individuals. Lactose also may also be more easily digested depending on the type of milk. Some individuals believe that lactose naturally occurring in goat’s milk is more easily digested than lactose in cow’s milk.

One teaspoon is 5 grams,,quite small. About that Mountain Dew

How much sugar is in one can of Mountain Dew?

31 g of sugar per 8 fl. oz serving.

Last edited:
No milk, sugar, flour, etc. is even in the house. The only thing sweet is raw agave syrup and some stevia extract. That's it.

Most folks feel better this way, it's very easy to try it for a week or two and see how YOU feel.

Nothing wrong with whole fruit as delivered by nature unless you are diabetic. It's juices, etc., that raise the ole blood sugar sky high...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: spasm3

27.gif

Is the Sugar in Milk Natural or Added?
Lactose is the sugar that occurs naturally in milk. Photo Credit Goodshoot/Goodshoot/Getty Images
Lactose is the type of sugar that occurs naturally in milk. It is found in the milk of animals such as cows and goats, as well as human breast milk. Plain cow’s milk purchased in your local grocery store doesn’t contain added sugar. If you purchase flavored milks, such as chocolate or strawberry, sugar is added to the beverage for sweetness. Alternative milks such as almond, soy or oat milk may also contain added sugar. Check the nutrition labels carefully on your milk product to determine whether or not sugar has been added.
Lactose Explained
Lactose is made up of two different sugar molecules: glucose and galactose. Once lactose enters the body, it breaks down into these smaller molecules for easier digestion. This type of sugar is more easily digested in some individuals. Lactose also may also be more easily digested depending on the type of milk. Some individuals believe that lactose naturally occurring in goat’s milk is more easily digested than lactose in cow’s milk.

One teaspoon is 5 grams,,quite small. About that Mountain Dew

How much sugar is in one can of Mountain Dew?

31 g of sugar per 8 fl. oz serving.

The amount of sugar in 1 serving (8 oz.. 1 cup) of 2% is 11 grams. That is a lot of sugar even at 1 serving. I assume most people have more than just 1. The normal glass holds about 3 servings.. That's 33 grams. That exceeds 1 can of Mountain Dew. Back when I drank milk, I normally had at least 2 glasses. That was about 66 grams and way more sugar than a person needs in 1 day. Sugar is sugar.. No matter what form.

By all means, you keep doing what you're doing and I'll do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back