How many of you use Rain-X or Aquapel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I use rainx from time to time.

WHats the trick with the silicon spray on the wipers?

No real trick. Just spray some silicon spray onto a clean rag and wipe them back and forth until they're clean and pliable. Keeps them lasting longer and prevents them from drying out.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

No real trick. Just spray some silicon spray onto a clean rag and wipe them back and forth until they're clean and pliable. Keeps them lasting longer and prevents them from drying out.

Yeah bigmike, you were the member that told me about the silicone spray. I love it!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...503#Post2603503

Last edited:
Years ago, I tried Rain X and it broke down the rubber in my wiper blade elements prematurely.

Haven't used it since - now I just wax the windshield.

Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Years ago, I tried Rain X and it broke down the rubber in my wiper blade elements prematurely.

I have not had this problem myself. Which product did you use? I can see the windshield washer fluid doing this because the wiper will be exposed to methanol but I don't think the regular treatment would cause any problems. Are you sure the blades were bad and not contaminated?

I wouldn't know. I replace my wiper blades twice a year.....I figure it's cheap insurance for something as vital as your visability....

Originally Posted By: grampi

I wouldn't know. I replace my wiper blades twice a year.....I figure it's cheap insurance for something as vital as your visability....

I too would replace my wipers once a year but, now that I have learned how to car for them, I am using them much longer with great success; up to 3 years with cheap maintenance mentioned above. I now only replace the wipers when they start to streak and/or tear.

My night driving nor driving in the rain isn't what it once was but, I drive with confidence now by keeping the wiper blades clean and plyable along with Rain-X on the glass. GREAT VISABILITY!

I use Rain-X, both the apply-yourself stuff and the windshield washer fluid. In the recent rains that Rochester, NY has been getting, having the water fly off the windshield at highway speeds sure is nice.

You're as bad as I am!

Originally Posted By: Garak

You're as bad as I am!

Why not? I buy the Ancos and they're only like $4-$5 each....I could maybe see trying to get them to last longer if they were the expensive ones, but these, nah.....

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I use Rain-X, both the apply-yourself stuff and the windshield washer fluid. In the recent rains that Rochester, NY has been getting, having the water fly off the windshield at highway speeds sure is nice.

You got that right!
smile.gif

Why not? I buy the Ancos and they're only like $4-$5 each....I could maybe see trying to get them to last longer if they were the expensive ones, but these, nah.....

You are as bad as I am. I use Ancos, too, the profiles, mind you, which I get for around $10.

I use Rain-X off and on. Like the way it quiets wiper squeaking down. when used with the orange Rain-X washer fluid last a long time.

Although we love the Rain-X Windshield Treatment, we're not a fan of the Rain-X Orange Washer Fluid as it leaves a foggy look on the glass after each wiper sweep. The foggy look does slowly disapear after the wipers are turned off or during the intermitant cycle. And the foggy look can be even worst until the windshield gets warmer(defrost) in the colder months such as Autumn. But, the R-X ORANGE fluid can limit vision(for wife & myself) at night while raining. We find it very bothersome!

My favorite windshield washer fluids are the standard BLUE(-20 deg's F) or for the really cold months/winter, the PRESTONE Yellow(-35 deg's F). Neither leaves that foggy look that I mentioned!

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Appreciate the info. Will give it a try

I use rain X on all the glass in my vehicles and love the way it repels the rain drops...I apply it whenever it seems like its getting bad again...maybe 2 times a year or once a year I apply it

Aquapel is my personal favorite because of the longevity even with moderate wiper use. I really do love RainX at low speeds though. At 50mph or higher they're both just as good and the Aquapel is far longer lasting. I have no issues with wiper chatter if I use good wipers.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dominic
Aquapel is my personal favorite because of the longevity even with moderate wiper use. I really do love RainX at low speeds though. At 50mph or higher they're both just as good and the Aquapel is far longer lasting. I have no issues with wiper chatter if I use good wipers.
smile.gif

No kidding? I didn't like the Aquapel at all. When I used it there didn't seem to be any water repelling qualities to it at all. I still had to use the wipers even at highway speeds. IMO, it was nothing like Rain-X, which does a very good job repelling water...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back