How many of you men can sew?

A close friend learned overnight from mother when he learned obligatory military service in Egypt you live in tents. He learned tailors got nicer quarter's for their service working on uniforms especially officers and higher ups.

I recall a joke about a guy who drew the curtains in the mid afternoon prior to sewing a button on. His wife referred to the drawing of the the curtains in the afternoon and said “ what will the neighbours think? “. He said “ I don't care what they think, as long as they don’t think I’m sewing”.

I can do the basics but nothing major. Made curtains once. Turned out ok and since they were in a back bedroom I wasn't worried about the comments. LOL

When I was in grade school the girls' learned to use a screw drives, plyers and adj wrench. Us guy learned how to sew and button on and how to us a sewing machine (we had to make a shop apron) . In addition; the girls and boys had the learn how to give change from a dollar so we didn't need to depend on a mechanical calculator. Seems like we encourage our kids to be and act dumb now. JMO. Ed

My mother taught me how to hand sew a hem when I was still in elementary school.

When mom passed away a few years ago, I inherited her sister's singer Model 221 Featherweight (DOM 1948). I brought it to my cousin because she's the rightful heir but she didn't want it.

If you have one of these machines, don't just give it away. These are getting insane money from collectors and quilters.

20200523_153001.jpg

It's kind of a restoration project for the moment. I had to replace the carrying case latches. I found a pdf of the original service and adjustment manuals. Once I troubleshoot why it doesn't run, I plan to use it. At least I want to try out the button hole attachment.

I can and do darn socks and do minor hand stitching as required.
Wife's first job out of undergraduate school was as a home ec teacher in a Catholic high school and she is quite the accomplished seamstress. I may be able to fix her sewing machine as needed, but I've never tried to use it.

Back