How many of you men can sew?

While doing some brake work, the button on my pants came off. Went looking for some needle and thread, and voila, back in business. Anyone else sew their own stuff, or you just hand it to the wife? Upholstery work not included.

IMG_8883.JPG

I can do simple hand work with a needle and thread. A long time ago I had a friend who sewed custom made canvas sails for boats. He made my three year old son several very nice stuffed animals. Still has one in his 'treasure box' with other keepsakes. Wife is very good with her sewing machine. I think sewing is a disappearing skill.

Buttons, yes.
Buttons on leather where a spacer is required to keep the button up off the surface so the leather's thickness of the button hole side can actually fit beneath the button......sure, if I had 4 arms!

I can but I haven't done it in a while. I've been meaning to sew some straps from a broken backpack to a newer one for the past few years.

I have sewn buttons, canvas, leather, and skin. I can stitch with a needle, with an awl, and a with a stitching awl. I have never used a sewing machine.

I learned to sew once the kids started walking (falling). It ain't always the prettiest needlework, but it does the job for as long as it needs to. We've saved a bunch of money on kids clothes by taking the time to mend and darn.

It also translated to saving a good number of my own clothes from the scrap heap and give them a few extra months/years of life before replacing.

Buttons, maybe. Well I have done that, and hemmed pants, but the results are not the sort you'd pay any amount of money for.

I can run a sewing machine and have made a couple of things (shirts, vests) from patterns. My mom died when I was fairly young and my dad never remarried, so his mother taught him how to sew so he could repair his own clothes. Then he taught me. I can sew better than my wife can LOL.

It comes in handy. I've made a couple of things of my own design that are really useful, like a pouch for a pouch for my iPad and several pistol socks.

I have a pair of hunting/fishing coveralls and they had a half a square tear from a barb wire fence. They are very high quality cold weather pants with suspenders and I fixed them with a needle and thread. You can barely tell they were fixed because the tear was toward the bottom of the coveralls. A new pair like them would be approximately $200.00. I also sew on buttons etc.

I have always wished I knew how to make clothing from scratch. I am extremely sensitive to how clothes fit and I wish I could just make my own. I'm still looking into it. I watch videos on YouTube about sewing machines in hopes of learning how they work.

Back