How many of you men can sew?

I have sewn buttons back on and used to know how to sew more, including using a sewing machine. In high school, a bunch of us (guys) took "home economics" where we had to sew, do laundry, cook, etc. Our main intention for taking it was FOOD !! 😂

I still can and do all of those things at home (plus vacuuming, mopping, yard work, etc), along with my wife.

I do minor hand sewing repairs although I'm rough rather than neat. I do all the machine sewing like altering curtains. It all started when I used a sewing machine to make a tent at the age of 14.

In junior high school, every 7th grader, boys and girls, had to take four required courses over the year. One quarter each of wood shop, metal shop, study hall, and sewing. The sewing class consisted of mostly embroidery. I can sew a button if I have to, but actual sewing would be ugly. Might even be functional for a while but wouldn't be pretty.

Reactions: Pew
Not an expert but I am quite handy with a needle and thread. Buttons, hems, tears/rips along a seam………been doing it since I was 14 years old.
Side note: when I talk to my son’s about the things I did as a kid, their jaw drops!😎

My aunt was a seamstress and lived with us when I was growing up. My aunt worked at a sewing store until her rheumatoid arthritis was too disabling. I was in charge of assembling the sewing machine and repairing it when it broke. I was also in charge of threading needles and installing bobbins. Learning to sew was never something that I wanted to do. When I think of sewing, it's selecting fabric and using a store bought pattern. Sewing a button is basic stuff. My aunt had hundreds of buttons in various jelly jars for missing button situations.

My first actual job was at a ladies garment factory. Started working nights just tagging the blouses. That summer they had my running a sewing machine. Not sure I could remember how to run a sewing machine now. That was over 40 years ago.

my dad is a tailor and I don't know anything about sewing, sad right

he was telling us back in the day, there is no money to be make in the textile industry

then, China has swept the world with cheap and durable textile items

in fact, my both parents worked in textile industry :D

We actually learned this sort of thing in middle school.

Not only did we have an introduction to shop classes like woodworking, metalworking, electrics, but we also had cooking and sewing classes. Financial/consumer skills rounded out the education. We did that rotation of 6 classes our 8th grade year IIRC.

Made an apron in sewing class as well as learned how to mend and sew on buttons.

I’m not very good and mostly stick to fixing my hunting clothes. For anything that you abuse try using Dental Floss. It’s the strongest and durable thread you can find . You will have to look for some darning needles and a good thimble if it’s heavy fabric or straps.
My wife and daughter have like 4 sewing machines between them . And I did build a sewing table for Xmas one year . The wife just got done making curtains for the granddaughter.

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 12
My sister made lots of her clothes and taught me how …
(normally bribed with a grilled cheese sandwich ) … 🧀
Have not for years - Perhaps buttons once in a while …

We actually learned this sort of thing in middle school.

Not only did we have an introduction to shop classes like woodworking, metalworking, electrics, but we also had cooking and sewing classes. Financial/consumer skills rounded out the education. We did that rotation of 6 classes our 8th grade year IIRC.

Made an apron in sewing class as well as learned how to mend and sew on buttons.

I remember those classes. They really should still teach them. Not everyone goes to college.

Certainly not me. I rely on mom and grandma for stuff like that. Grandma has shown me a few things when I was really young but I never could figure it out lol. I do know how to knit though as I did it at a 4H Camp.

I can sew a button in a pinch.

I'm guilty of often pawning jobs off to my mom, who has only ever done it as a hobby but is quite a seamstress. I don't see my mom as often as I'd like these days, but she's always more than happy to handle whatever jobs she can. I have a hard time finding pants with legs the right length, and usually just have her hem them when I first get them. If I wear them before they get hemmed and they fray, she will gladly fix them.

When my wife was pregnant, my mom took a lot of joy in making several dresses for her. She's also fitted/altered dresses for my wife. The sewing machine only comes out for "big jobs", and she does most of the small stuff by hand.

There's a part of me that wishes I could do this kind of stuff myself, but there's a part of me that doesn't want to take away doing it from my mom as she really does enjoy it(the same way that I'm glad to do maintenance and small repairs on other peoples' cars just out of enjoyment).

I would like to start sewing as a hobby, I think it is one of the most calming activities.

Back