How many Components are rebuildable?

I am surprised to find Toyota sells rebuild kits for components I never anticipated had rebuild kits:

Master brake cylinder: $55
Alternator bearings, brushes: $50
Alternator regulator: $200 (ouch)
Starter motor brushes, solenoid, electric rotor, engagement gear: $130

Some non-OEM parts for Toyota:
AC compressor sealing kit: $35
Power steering pump kit: $75

Is it like this for other manufacturers as well?

It makes me wonder how many rebuildable components are junked, when they could have been rebuilt and used again.

I had no idea such rebuild kits existed.

Money versus your time. Most people don't have the patience to do the job right the first time, and then just buy a complete unit after they mess up the first time.

I only rebuild if a new unit is not available because of what atikovi says about the tools. I always need new tools though!

I am surprised to find Toyota sells rebuild kits for components I never anticipated had rebuild kits:

It makes me wonder how many rebuildable components are junked, when they could have been rebuilt and used again.

How are you able to find the kits at the websites??

Are you shocked they're available, or that they're available straight from the vehicle manufacturer?

Such things have always been available aftermarket. I never thought to check OEM.

I plan to reseal the p/s pump on our '08 F150, albeit with an Edelmann kit.

Most of these things are available on RA (again, aftermarket).

Yeah, it's surprising what you can rebuild! I've seen similar kits from other manufacturers too. It's a great way to save money and reduce waste. Too bad more people don't take advantage of it.

This reminds me of this Donut video I watched at some point:

I'm not saying this experience is relevant to these other rebuild kits, just thought it was a funny experience. I always wonder if I could rebuild a transmission since the parts themselves seem like they'd be relatively cheap and they don't seem horribly complicated vs the price of a rebuilt one.

Yeah I am aware these rebuild kits are around. I have seen online forum have posts that people buy these kits from Toyota to rebuild their Honda starter, etc before as well as long as the internal components are identical.

I would have no problem with rebuild myself if I have the time. The problem with parts store rebuild is they just do a lousy job because they don't think the owners would keep their cars for that long, and just want to pay the cheapest and "lifetime warranty" just means they don't even QA and let you replace till you get a good one, and they cut corner on the rebuild quality.

Are you shocked they're available, or that they're available straight from the vehicle manufacturer?

Such things have always been available aftermarket. I never thought to check OEM.

I plan to reseal the p/s pump on our '08 F150, albeit with an Edelmann kit.

Most of these things are available on RA (again, aftermarket).
Surprised Toyota sells them directly. Oem rebuild kits. I’ve just purchased a brake master rebuild kit and alternator rebuild bearings and brushes. This seems like such a great alternative to buying some aftermarket components!

You can normally get a rebuild kit for a caliper. A caliper is mostly cast iron with a piston and a few seals.

But customer paying for parts so why risk a customer bringing the car back. Slap in a caliper rebuilt overseas where the workers are paid a few dollars a day vs the mechanic charging $100 per hour.

Back