How many 2014-2017 SS sedan owners on here?

There was quite a visceral period of national mourning when Holden was axed. Quite bizarre for a nation to be so upset by the loss of a car company.
From the reports Holden wasn't selling enough vehicles to keep them viable. I thought this was odd as why couldn't they build and export vehicles to other markets?

God I love those cars. Nice car OP. Cannot touch them except for big bucks. $$$

I would love one by my poverty self will prob find a blown up CTSV1 or Caprice to dump this forged 58x 5.3 in.

From my reading Holden had a deal with GM that every so often GM had to rebadge a Holden vehicle. The Pontiac gto was a Holden Manaro.
I've never heard that...I know that Bob Lutz went to great pains to get us here in the USA the Holden Monaro (2004-2006 GTO) and the Holden Commodore (SS sedan) and to a lesser extent the Caprice PPV

Bill

Are there other 415 HP V8 manual transmission performance sedans available for less money these days?

Of course, you use to be able to buy a good condition one some years ago for about $5-6K and work on it. Now, you can't find a good one for less than $15k, which is a good thing, if you think about it, since it will keep kids/destroyers-of-great-cars from buying them and making them move on to destroying other cars like the Infiniti g35/37, leaving these in the hands of collectors who preserve them.

Last edited:

Of course, you use to be able to buy a good condition one some years ago for about $5-6K and work on it. Now, you can't find a good one for less than $15k, which is a good thing, if you think about it, since it will keep kids/destroyers-of-great-cars from buying them and making them move on to destroying other cars like the Infiniti g35/37, leaving these in the hands of collectors who preserve them.

Really nice cars, but 20 years older than the SS sedans and lacking HUD, adjustable suspension and adjustable exhaust.

Here is a good sample of them…$12,000 to $23,000. Only 2 under $15,000

Last edited:
Really nice cars, but 20 years older than the SS sedans and lacking HUD, adjustable suspension and adjustable exhaust.

Here is a good sample of them…$12,000 to $23,000. Only 2 under $15,000

SS, G8 are basically based on BMW E39. GM used E39 as a benchmark. GM had fleet of E39's as comparisons. It is still practice for companies to buy used E39 and test it in the development of new vehicles. Even BMW could not truly replicate the suspension of that model.

That is why I said earlier; GM had a really good opportunity here, but... well, it is GM.

Cadillac did the same with the ATS using the BMW E46, specifically, as the inspiration and benchmark, though BMW was already on the next generation 3-series. It was all about the dynamics but you can also see it in the ATS length, width, height, weight, wheelbase, etc. all within a hair.

I think that touch control, slide-your-finger garbage on the interior that Cadillac uses stinks. I hate it. I think it's dangerous too. I prefer rotary knobs, push buttons and switches.(especially the type/style Ferrari uses)

Cadillac did the same with the ATS using the BMW E46, specifically, as the inspiration and benchmark, though BMW was already on the next generation 3-series. It was all about the dynamics but you can also see it in the ATS length, width, height, weight, wheelbase, etc. all within a hair.

I think that touch control, slide-your-finger garbage on the interior that Cadillac uses stinks. I hate it. I think it's dangerous too. I prefer rotary knobs, push buttons and switches.(especially the type/style Ferrari uses)

That's long gone, they now have physical knobs. It seems like a lot of the industry played around with touch capacitive buttons at some point recently.

We have a VFII SV6 wagon. Like it a lot overall, but the interior quality could be better. Also a shame Holden didn't offer the wagon with the manual gearbox, but the automatic in these is decent.

Chevrolet SS
The Chevy SS is the most recently departed car on this list, but enough time has past to make it a used bargain. When it was still being sold, we objected to the use of SS as the model name rather than a trim, thinking GM could have come up with something more interesting. Still, the name doesn't detract from it greatness. All cars came powered by a 6.2-liter V8 producing 415 horsepower going out to the rear wheels. The later manual transmission cars are more desirable and more expensive, but 2014 and 2015 automatic models can be found starting in the $25,000 to $30,000 range with well under 100,000 miles on the clock."

Wanted one, never bought one.
I don’t think you’re going to find any bargains on these. They were not produced in big numbers. Retired law enforcement units are hard to find. I saw a state trooper in one last summer (2023) and asked how he managed to still have it. He doesn’t want to give it up. Try to find a G8, forgot what they call the V8 model. IMHO These are nice cars.

From my reading Holden had a deal with GM that every so often GM had to rebadge a Holden vehicle. The Pontiac gto was a Holden Manaro.
Holden *IS* part of GM, and has been since 1931.

Rebadging a Holden as a Pontiac or Chevrolet is no different than rebadging an Oldsmobile as a Buick or a Saturn as an Opel.

I don’t think you’re going to find any bargains on these. They were not produced in big numbers. Retired law enforcement units are hard to find. I saw a state trooper in one last summer (2023) and asked how he managed to still have it. He doesn’t want to give it up. Try to find a G8, forgot what they call the V8 model. IMHO These are nice cars.
Yeah, that was copied from an older website, so there was likely a "sweet spot" for finding one at a reasonable price.
That time has passed.

GM went with the division that would bring them the highest return...Buick in China...sad to see Pontiac and Holden go as I've had cars from both divisions...

Bill
Exactly. Preferable is what sells and the SS did not sell well. My local Chevy dealer had an SS or two and deeply discounted them to get them sold. They got really popular once they sold out. People are strange.

very little marketing...GM spent almost nothing marketing the SS sedan...as they did with the 2004-2006 GTO before it...I'd bet the same with the G8 too...very little effort in trying to sell so it isn't shocking to me that they didn't really sell...

Bill

Back