How Long do you wait?

2 seconds and the tap the horn. If that doesn't work the on the horn continuous until he moves. If he/she still doesn't move the I turn on the warning flashers and check the individual.
That’s oddly specific. How often are you checking on people? đŸ˜‚

If I see they're on the phone (head down, lit up by the glow of the screen, etc), I don't honk. I put the car in Park, get out, walk up to their window and in one swift move grab their phone and jam it down their glottis.

I guess it really is true an armed society is a polite society, because if you tried that here about the best you could hope for is a conversation with the Sheriffs Department..

I don't have a specific amount of time i wait, like i don't count to 5 but somewhere around 5 - 10 seconds I'd probably give them a light tap on the horn. I'm usually not in that big of a hurry...

Drivers in my town are totally impatient, notorious speeders and redlight/stop sign runners. The don't even slow down. They will also pull into the next lane across a double-yellow in residential areas to pass you.

I never enter an intersection without taking a good look in both directions of the cross street. If I'm behind someone that's a little late on the throttle, I give them some slack; they might be doing the same thing.

If their head is down and they're taking more time than normal, I give a short horn tap.

Funny yet true story: I was #2 in line on a left turn red light. The light turns green but the person in front of me doesn't go; she's looking down (probably at a phone). I wait a few seconds to be polite. Then just as I lift my hand to beep, the light turns yellow. By the time I beep and she looks up, the light is red again. She lifts her hand and flips me off, never realizing the light turned green, thinking I beeped at her for no reason.

Be careful out there, they walk among us.

More times than not I get a thank you/apology wave. Left signals only last a few seconds around here, so there isn't much time to waste, if they don't go after a second or two they get a quick beep.

There is one intersection where you are blind to 2 lanes of highway traffic on your left. At that intersection if I am the first one out I never pull out as soon as my light turns green. I wait several seconds incase someone is going through durind the first seconds of their light being red.

I only do that at that one intersection. Sometimes they are going very fast. Even if I have green, I still don't want to be hit by something going 50 MPH or more. And there are a lot of big trucks on that road. Though usually it is the young drivers not driving a truck that try to get through intersections on a fresh red.

If possible, I drive around them.

I don't want to disturb anyone. Many drivers in Virginia are already disturbed enough.
That's not a good idea. That's a good way to get a ticket if caught. If an accident occurs while you are going around, you are at fault.

That's not a good idea. That's a good way to get a ticket if caught. If an accident occurs while you are going around, you are at fault.

I only go around them if possible, for example there are two through lanes and they are texting/snoozing in one of them.

I've actually seen some of the very mentally touched drivers around here get irrationally angry and get out of their vehicle for being honked at.

Funny yet true story: I was #2 in line on a left turn red light. The light turns green but the person in front of me doesn't go; she's looking down (probably at a phone). I wait a few seconds to be polite. Then just as I lift my hand to beep, the light turns yellow. By the time I beep and she looks up, the light is red again. She lifts her hand and flips me off, never realizing the light turned green, thinking I beeped at her for no reason.

Be careful out there, they walk among us.
And some of them walk with weapons so use great caution.... PEACE & JOY he said while ducking the hail of bullets.

If I see they're on the phone (head down, lit up by the glow of the screen, etc), I don't honk. I put the car in Park, get out, walk up to their window and in one swift move grab their phone and jam it down their glottis.
Maybe kill them with kindness and walk up to their window and ask them if they're ok, that they didn't go on the green light, so you thought they might be having a medical emergency. They'd be so embarrassed and apologetic they'd never do it again.

I expect that would work in 1/3rd of the country yet. Probably would turn into a fight everywhere 20 years from now when there are no good places left.

I was the 3rd of 3 westbound cars stopped at a red light. The light turned green.
The lead car failed to proceed so the center car bipped the horn and promptly drove around.
Car 1 stayed stationary so I got out to communicate. I noticed a woman's hat on an overly back tipped head.
The lady had been dead long enough to grey.
Good morning!

I was the 3rd of 3 westbound cars stopped at a red light. The light turned green.
The lead car failed to proceed so the center car bipped the horn and promptly drove around.
Car 1 stayed stationary so I got out to communicate. I noticed a woman's hat on an overly back tipped head.
The lady had been dead long enough to grey.
Good morning!
Whoa. That was a quite a "wake up!" you were not ready for. She could have still killed others if her car had taken off. She must have gone into neutral or park or even shutoff motor if she felt something coming on...?? Imagine you were then caught up there in quite a mess since you may have been the only one willing to answer questions that you likely had no answers for.

Now that you ask..... I was on my way to work.

While there were guys at work who could be late and get away with other stuff too; I wasn't one of them.
Like you, I foresaw an overly serious barrage of questions.
Since discretion is the better part of valor, I left the situation how I found it.
I didn't spend 10 seconds approaching, looking at and leaving the car.
I didn't touch the car or reach through the open window.
I honestly don't recall if the engine was running or not.

Back