How long do you let your oil drain during a change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually take the plug out and go on about my business (of course not driving the car). I probably let it drain 2-4 hours.

I don't have to worry about others driving my cars since the GF does not drive stick so sometimes I do let it drain for hours.

But normally its about 30 -40 minutes or so. I warm the car up with a short drive then drain hot. After te gushing has stopped I remove the filter, then go off to do laundray or watch TV or whatever for a half hour or so

quote:

How long do you let your oil drain during a change?

I drain it until the last drop has fallen, or 30 minutes, whichever occurs first.
wink.gif

From the time my car is up on ramps to the time it is off the ramps is usually about 20 minutes. I pull it up on the ramps, put the new oil filter and new oil in front of the car, pull the plug, wait until it turns from a stream to a drip, plug it up, pre-fill the filter as much as it will allow without pouring out when I put it on and attach the filer, fill the engine with the new oil, wait about a minute for the oil to hit the bottom of the pan, put the oil cap back on, start the engine and as soon as the oil pressure light comes off, I pull off the ramps, idle it in neutral for about a minute while the new oil circulates and while I check for leaks and put the ramps away and I take it for a 5 minute drive, come back shut it off for a bit and verify the level is correct. I don't take more than an hour from the point that I decide to start working to the point that I am on to better things.

i used to wait till the last drop, and wait till the car cooled a bit before i got started, typically around 30 - 45 minutes. now i'm like wam bam thank ya maam. i don't wait...at all...for the car to cool down, and after 5 minutes of draining i seal 'er back up. My oil changes take about 10-12 minutes.

I think that it depends on how long you kept the oil in there. The longer you use the oil the more contaminated it is and the more important it is to get that stuff out (as it settles at the bottom of your oil).

Those of us who change our synthetic oil every 5,000-10,000 miles shouldn't have to worry because when I change mine it comes out looking as new as I put it in (still gold color etc).

I usually let mine drain for 40 minutes or till it drips every few seconds.

Posterity bump. Vehicle is placed on ramps and raised opposite motor oil drain plug to get another ounce, drains for a couple hours or overnight. Pending weather conditions..

About 20 mins, takes me that long to get up from under the car, old guys rule
lol.gif

I used to wait until each drip was occurring at a twenty second interval, but the last few years I pull the plug and then change the filter(Denso of course) and then reinstall drain plug and add oil. Really doesn't make that much difference as only about two or three more ounces of oil will be drained waiting longer.

Please start a new thread if topic interests you. Dredging one up from 13 years ago isn't helpful or necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back