How long do you let your oil drain during a change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let mine drain for at least 4 hours, preferabley overnight with the car sitting level. I leave a note next to the keys saying "NO OIL".

If you change it like (wavinwayne) says, you're doing a lousy job.

does anyone want to do an experiment? i would but my next oil change is 9 or 10 weeks away. when draining the oil wait until it starts dripping slow, like a drip every few seconds and then put a new container under the oil drain hole and let it sit overnight or for atleast a few hours (3 - 5). and report back and let us know how much extra came out. if someone has already done this post the results.

my dad has been draining until a slow drip for years and all of his vehicles have lasted a long time.

i drain until a slow drip as well. i have the benefit of a lift so ill pull the drain plug and filter then rotate the tires and when i get done the oils done. plug it up, put new filter on, lower the car and fill it up.

GoldenRod no need to mock people's methods of changing.

At least they are doing it themselves instead of taking it in where it rarely drains to a drip.

Some of us don't have time to let it drain for hours on end.

I usually wait for a drip every couple of seconds like wavinwayne does. I figure by that time, there is so little left in it, that it couldn't hurt anything.

I let mine drain overnight, I also jack the car or truck up on the opposite side of the drain plug you would be surprise how much more dirty oil drains out..

JK,

Just so you know, you're on my list of BITOG Pennzoil fanatics along with wavinwayne.
nono.gif

I remove the plug and filter then proceed to do all the other maintenance stuff like check/top off all fluids, check tire pressures, lube door hinges, grease suspension fittings, silicone spray the CV boots, fill out the maintenance log, etc. So the plug is out for maybe 20 minutes.

I drain the oil while still warm and change the oil filter while its draining. Probably between 5 and 10 minutes. I don't worry about what little oil remains after it stops trickling.

I used to be very obsessive about this, and would let the oil drain for 90min to 2 hours. But the last few oil changes I didn't bother letting it drain that long. I now only let it drain for 30-45min.

And I no longer pour down a fresh quart of oil to help "flush" out the old oil.

I pop the cap off the valve cover, pull the dip stick, drain the filter till IT stops flowing, then open Mr. Fumoto, and wait until IT stops dripping. It only takes 15 minutes or so. After both have stopped I replace the filter, close Mr. Fumoto, and filler her up. Someone mentioned vaccuum and pressure release, I know that happens with mine, I open all ports at the same time to let it drain. Two pans and everything. Always get 4 full quarts out of it that way.

I used to let it drain for 3-4 hours when I lived at home. but now, I let it drain 30-45 minutes. I don't want my nosey apt neighbors to call management on me for doing maintenance on my car.

I think that after a certain point the amount of dirty oil that will flow out is minimal and that there is probably more of a risk in leaving your oil pan open and exposed to the elements allwoing larger dirt and contaminant particles to enter the engine. I tend to agree with the 15-30 minute people I suppose.

Somebody could walk by and stir up dust...not all of us have nice fancy heated garages free of dirt and contaminants. I'm not saying it would happen but its something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back