How Long do you wait?

I give them maybe 30 seconds, then I do a short beep. If they don't get it, a longer beep follows. By then there are probably more beeps from inconvenienced autos behind me. If there is an obvious issue that caused the stoppage, no beep.

Funny yet true story: I was #2 in line on a left turn red light. The light turns green but the person in front of me doesn't go; she's looking down (probably at a phone). I wait a few seconds to be polite. Then just as I lift my hand to beep, the light turns yellow. By the time I beep and she looks up, the light is red again. She lifts her hand and flips me off, never realizing the light turned green, thinking I beeped at her for no reason.

Be careful out there, they walk among us.

A few seconds then tap the horn.... Just a few days ago I was at a stop light...first at the light and when the light turned green for me for some reason I delayed moving by a few seconds....Well in that few seconds that I was stopped a fully leaded large dump truck when through the intersection...I know that if I had moved when the light turned green I would have been hit on the drivers side by the dump truck...I was very lucky...

Last edited:
Not sure if the question is how long would you wait if you are car number 2 or more or what do you do when the light turns green?

If I'm not the first car, depends on how long the light is (if I know the intersection). For example, if the light only lasts 3 cars, I'm on the horn pretty quick. Normal intersection 5 or 10 seconds.

If I'm the first car, there's intersections I'll pause at when the light turns green if I'm not convinced the car(s) on the intersecting street is going to come to a stop. See people all the time speeding thru a yellow or ultimately a red, and it isn't uncommon to see someone running a red when "my" light has been green for a few seconds.

Around here they lay on the horn immediately then go around on the wrong side of the road. I try to stay out of the way of the morons,

If its just the two of us and its obvious there texting I'll give a quick beep. If there is more than the two of us I can rely on whomever is behind me to honk for me.

In the city, it's common for people to run red lights a second or two after the light has turned. If I'm behind someone at a red light and don't have a clear view of the intersection I will give them a few seconds before I give them a gentle honk because they may see something I can't see.

Good 5 seconds at the most -- then the horn is on FULL BLAST until they move. Dang well know there on there cell phone. Unless I can physically see its a Granny or Pop Pop behind the wheel. Then a whole 10 -- 12 seconds before a honk.

If I see they're on the phone (head down, lit up by the glow of the screen, etc), I don't honk. I put the car in Park, get out, walk up to their window and in one swift move grab their phone and jam it down their glottis.

Back