how had is it to replace a windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my windshield is broken. i dont have comprehensive insurance so i have to buy a new windshield on my own time. which is ok by me, the money i saved by not having comprehensive has payed for dozens of windshields by now.

a local place will sell me a new one for $130. they will install it for $60 more.
i am wondering how hard can it be to install a windshield? a tube of sealant and maybe an assistant is all that is needed?

i was poking at my own windshield and it seems to be held in by a rather soft cocking of some sort. so i should pull the old windshield off, clean up the mating area, run a bead of cock and put the new windshield on. is this easy?

Theres alot you are not telling us. Is this from a newer car, or a 1930 model A Ford. Seriously, the windshields in modern vehicles are a structural part of the body. Its not as easy as it would seem. The mating surfaces must be clean and match. Most manufacturers use a special 2 part urethane glue/caulk, which must be applied with a special heated gun, at the correct temperature. Then the glass must be correctly positioned to create the right "set". I would leave it to a profession, myself. The price you are quoting seems very reasonable. Good luck.

I don't think it is all that easy but it is possible. You can easily end up with leaks and you have to buy the proper caulking from a dealer. The varathane or whatever it is doesn't dry out and remains sticky for many years. Before putting in the windshield you are supposed to use a solvent to remove finger print as they will weaken the bond.

Preparation of the window frame includes sanding and painting. If you leave any rust it will later crack the windshield.

The guy I bought my van from did an amature job so the "new used" window leaks and I have caulking smeared on some stuff.

Steve

Not to mention the fact that you may save $60 by installing the windshield yourself, but if you break it while installing, then you save nothing.

I've helped replace windshields at my father's body shop. It is not very difficult if you have an heated garage and the proper tools. You need a special tool to cut through the old adhesive and remove the old windshield. Cleaning the old adhesive from the 'windshield lip' can be done with a good chiesel (or knife) and some solvents. Then you have to apply the new windshield kit (urethane or whatever is used now) and set the windshield in place (you usually only have one attempt at this!). You have to make sure there is a solid air/watertight fit or you will have noise/leaks. I've seen people use plenty of tape to keep the windshield in place while the urethane is curing. Then you have to remove the tape and put the rubber/plastic moulding in place. You may need an new one depending on the damage you do to it when you remove it.
My vote would be to get it professionally done. $60 seems reasonable to me as well.

For the sake of $60 ..no way would I subject myself to the learning curve on this. This is a very reasonable charge for the service rendered. They probably make nearly as much on the windshield. That is, you're already paying the majority of the freight to begin with.

Pay it. Whatever you're driving is cheap, the windshield for a first-generation Saturn is $700.

If you're shopping around, make sure you get a "cash price." Window places charge insurance companies more.

When you get the car back, leave the window cracked for a day and/or don't slam the door... the air pressure "pop" could weaken the still-curing adhesive.

If you've replaced them before, I say go for it, but if not, leave it to the pro's.

60$ well spent.

I am a diehard do-it-myselfer for most things, but $60 labor to replace a windshield is a real bargain. Pay the money.

John

At my shop, we always outsource this job. Let the guys who have the tools/materials, and do it everyday, have at it. $60.00 is fair, especially if they come out to your location.

Ditto the responses above. Spend the money and go your merry way. Too much variables on this one to DIY.

I am a diehard DIYer even other projects everyone says pay for like rear axle gears, internal engine modification and the like and after watching a windsheild being replaced in my car I will not touch it. I hit a deer with that carand need another windsheild I plan to do all the bodywork with the possible exeption of laying the paint yet will still pay to have the glass done. In modern airbag equipped cars the glue is very strong since as mentioned the glass is structural and the passenger side airbags tend to be supported by that glass should they deploy.

Take everyones advise...Without a set of special tools, you are doomed to failure. Your old windshield is NOT just going to "pop" out. If you destroy the trim pieces, there goes the $60 you "saved"....You need to work in a glass shop for a month before you try one on your own..And you need the tools..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back