Is it important to keep liquid in the windshield washer reservoir?

Hi everyone.

Since I've never used windshield washer liquid in my whole life (I drive mainly around city where isn't neither dust nor bugs) I've come up with an idea.

If I empty the windshield washer fluid reservoir I'd cut 5 kg of weight off of my car, thus reducing the fuel consumption.

I just wanted to know if I have to keep liquid inside the reservoir in order to avoid damage to the pump or the reservoir itself or if I just can empty it without worrying.

It may be sound dumb but is a real question I have since I'm hypermilling

Last edited:
It’ll help, but the affects will be microscopic. You’d be better off getting lighter wheels and tires. Car and driver observed a 10% decrease in fuel economy on their test going from a 195/65r15 with a weight of 40lbs to a 235/35r19 weighing in at 54lbs.

Wearing lighter shoes, empty wallet, get rid of phone, put in less gas and wearing lighter weight clothing would be a better idea, especially if you need to clean windshield all of a sudden. Even if you never used it all of your life.
One choice gets you further down the road and the other choice gets you closer to death.

I just want to know if it's harmful to the washer fluid injection system (pump, hoses, etc.)

I don't care if the effect on fuel consumption is relevant or not.

Keeping your car cleaned and waxed would yield far more fuel conservation. Not that you don't...
What are you going to do if you get bombed by birds?

If you ever vacation near a beach the salt water really clouds up your windshield. I'd keep the washer fluid.

Last edited:
Keeping your car cleaned and waxed would yield far more fuel conservation. Not that you don't...
What are you going to do if you get bombed by birds?

If you ever vacation near a beech the salt water really clouds up your windshield. I'd keep the washer fluid.
I rarely go to the beach.

I've never been bombed by bird poo, never in my life.

Why keep my car cleaned and waxed would make a difference in fuel efficiency if I use to drive around city at low speed?

I just want to know if keeping the reservoir empty it's harmful

I rarely go to the beach.

Why keep my car cleaned and waxed would make a difference in fuel efficiency if I use to drive around city at low speed?

Okay....no ⛱️ and no 💩 😂
Very lucky individual
I think keeping washer fluid that you will never use is a bad idea as it will crystallize and cause problems. I had it get gritty in a bottle in 2 years
In that case keep it empty.

Worst case? The pump seizes up being exposed to atmosphere (which I suppose could happen even with fluid in there) and the lines dry out and crack. None of that is really that hard to replace though.

My luck is I’d do this thinking I never need it, then a big ol’ glob of whatever lands right in my line of sight and I can’t do anything about it 🤣

To answer the question, if you emptied it and rinsed with fresh water there should be no issue. Until that one day that something does hit your windshield and you need to wash it off. In the UK it is a legal requirement to have washer fluid in the reservoir.

I would keep a little fluid in there to keep all the seals from drying out. Empty won't hurt anything.

Reactions: hrv
It very likely won’t harm anything. Even if it did you don’t use it so it doesn’t matter. And you’d probably never realize it was broken anyways.

As far as saving weight for mpg there many other better alternatives. Tires with less friction, lighter rims, no unnecessary items in the vehicle, don’t run accessories, etc. Or the most obvious with less mental gymnastics purchase a vehicle which gets better mpg.

I just want to know if it's harmful to the washer fluid injection system (pump, hoses, etc.)

I don't care if the effect on fuel consumption is relevant or not.
How would we know? It would be all speculation if there are any negative effects.
Why not just put 1 liter in to have the pump submerged? The washer fluid bottle doesn’t need to be filled up to the top.

Hi everyone.

Since I've never used windshield washer liquid in my whole life (I drive mainly around city where isn't neither dust nor bugs) I've come up with an idea.

If I empty the windshield washer fluid reservoir I'd cut 5 kg of weight off of my car, thus reducing the fuel consumption.

I just wanted to know if I have to keep liquid inside the reservoir in order to avoid damage to the pump or the reservoir itself or if I just can empty it without worrying.

It may be sound dumb but is a real question I have since I'm hypermilling
No but the next question is whether you want to deal with the dash lamp stating you're low on fluid.

5 Kg won't reduce fuel consumption which you can measure. In a lab environment you may be able to measure something like 10 meters/liter in fuel efficiency.

Never had bird poop on your windshield? What's your age...... guessing 18?
Please tell us your home residence city? It sounds like you live & travel where no birds fly.... like in the middle of a desert. Even there, sand would accumulate on the windshield and you'd want that cleaned before departing.

Or, do you heavily invest in Windex spray and rags?.... always use that instead?

Back