How good is Havoline DS and Mobil super family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is Havoline DS and Mobil super family?
From the uoa section, i know havoline ds is a good oil but how is it if compare to mobil super family?
Example: havoline ds dino vs mobil super 1000, havoline synt blend semi vs mobil super 2000..
Becuz in my area, these engine oil are same price (havoline dino to mobil dino, semi to semi).. So i was thinking which one i should pour into my family cars..

Too late for me to edit the last post.
The oil change interval can go for 7000 mile if i'm using dino only?

Both oil are same spec.
Dino: Havoline ds 15w40 api sm, mobil super 1000 15w40 api sm.
Semi: Havoline synt blend 10w40 api sm, mobil super 2000 10w40 api sm.

I did my search in bitog, im confused and wondering the mobil super 1000/2000 is it same as mobil clean 5000/7500?

For the same price, I would pick Mobil Super 1000/2000 over Havoline DS. Can you go for 7k miles oil change with dino oil ? It depends on your driving condition, if most your trips are more than 30 km (20 miles) and you can get to 7k miles within a year then you can do 7k miles OCI's with brand names dino such as Mobil Super 1000 or Havoline DS.

Yes, Mobil Super 1000/2000 is the same as Mobil Clean 5000/7500 in USA.

I see, thanks for reply.

So the oil change interval will be safe in 5000 mile if I choose mobil? How about havoline ds? I asked this because I'm curious about normally dino and semi or fully synthetic engine oil can last for how many mile? I see some uoa for dino oil, then I start thinking if normal dino oil like qs, pyb, havoline ds can last for 5000 mile, why mobil clean 5000 make this 5000 mile oci as a selling point?

And also, my neighbour told me that normally dino last for 3000 mile only, and semi can last for 5000 mile, fully can go for 10000 mile, is this correct? Confused..

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I've ran Havoline DS for 4,300 miles with a flawless UOA. I'm sure it would've been just fine for well over 5,000 miles. Still had a TBN of over 3.

It was 20+ years ago that dino is good for 3k miles, today dino can easily lasted 6-7k miles or more, that why Honda recommends 10k miles OCI interval with dino oil for many of its cars.

Illyas, There are a few questions that will help us:
How far do you drive everyday to and from work?
What are the road conditions (i.e. heavy traffic or highway, and dust) and terrain (hills)?
What is the average temperature?

If the car is driven in conditions that are considered to be severe conditions, then 3k miles may be the best OCI.

Its difficult for me to make a decision between mobil super family and havoline ds.

Normally 20 mile to working place or to hyper market. 50% on highway, another 50% in town and sometimes will face the traffic jam in town (stuck in traffic for 1 hour just for 6 mile, so I always try to avoid the rush hour). I know it's difficult to imagine the area I live. And the average temperature are 82f or 28c all year round. Not really dusty.

Btw, what is the point for semi-synthetic? From bitog, not many people talking about semi-synthetic? I always see you guys talking either dino or fully only, but rarely semi-synthetic?

After I read many replied from this topic, i might try to run the dino oil change interval for 5000 mile for safe play. What do you guys think?

Fyi, in my country. Many people are telling about dino can last for 3000 mile (5000 km), semi 4750 mile (7500 km), fully 6200 mile (10000 km). I'm not sure is this just urban legend or what, because it have been spread here for so many years. And some of my friend said its just urban legend.. any comment about this?

Last edited:
There was a recent 7500 mile UOA of Chevron Supreme (essentially the same oil as Havoline DS) and it still had some life left. In most cases and most engines, 5K miles will be easy with Havoline.

Originally Posted By: illyas
Its difficult for me to make a decision between mobil super family and havoline ds.

They are both quite good. I prefer Havoline/Chevron, others will prefer Mobil. There are both among the better conventionals, you're good either way.

I see, thanks for input. :)
I might try Havoline ds dino 15w40 in my car for 5000 miles.

However, I find out there is havoline ds dino 10w30 api sm, I wonder can this use in my sister car for 5000 miles? I worry the oil will break down before 5000 miles since my sister car has a small engine, 3 cylinders with 1.0cc daihatsu engine. In the car manual, its state "10w-30, 5000km (3000 miles) oil change interval".

Is it true smaller engine will tear down the oil faster? And the oil 10w30 doesn't last longer than 15w40 in same engine?

Btw, is it possible to tell it is group II or group II+ from the data sheet?

Havoline 10W-30 is group II, 5W-30/5W-20 is group II+. That info can be found on Chevron's US website.

As far as smaller engines tearing down oil faster, that depends on a few things, like sump capacity and engine design. It's probably best just to follow the OEM service interval recommendation when in doubt.

I see, thanks for input. :)
I might try Havoline ds dino 15w40 in my car for 5000 miles.

However, I find out there is havoline ds dino 10w30 api sm, I wonder can this use in my sister car for 5000 miles? I worry the oil will break down before 5000 miles since my sister car has a small engine, 3 cylinders with 1.0cc daihatsu engine. In the car manual, its state "10w-30, 5000km (3000 miles) oil change interval".

Is it true smaller engine will tear down the oil faster? And the oil 10w30 doesn't last longer than 15w40 in same engine?

Btw, is it possible to tell it is group II or group II+ from the data sheet?

As to whether or not a small engine will tear it down definitely depends on the engine. I have a small engine in my Integra that's very rev happy and it's never sheared any oil I've put in it. However, there are big engines that shear oil. It really doesn't depend on the size entirely... Mine's not as small as your Daihatsu motor, but comparative to most 6 and 8 cylinders, it's small.
55.gif

Sorry, my mistake.. If the wikipedia is correct, it's 4 cylinder 1.0l dohc engine, daihatsu move.

I see, havoline 10w30 is a group II oil, how about havoline 15w40? Is there any different even the same product name in different country? Example: havoline 15w40 dino is not found in US, but the regardless brand name, dino sae 15w40 is most common here.

My sister usually rev to 3k rpm in normal driving.. And, you're right.. When in doubt just follow the owner manual, but I'm willing to try 10w30 in this little engine for 5000 miles when I find out more information to gain some confident about this. :)

BITOG bravo, I've learn many things here. :)

Sorry, my mistake.. If the wikipedia is correct, it's 4 cylinder 1.0l dohc engine, daihatsu move.

I see, havoline 10w30 is a group II oil, how about havoline 15w40? Is there any different even the same product name in different country? Example: havoline 15w40 dino is not found in US, but the regardless brand name, dino sae 15w40 is most common here.

My sister usually rev to 3k rpm in normal driving.. And, you're right.. When in doubt just follow the owner manual, but I'm willing to try 10w30 in this little engine for 5000 miles when I find out more information to gain some confident about this. :)

BITOG bravo, I've learn many things here. :)

My 1.8L 4-cylinder is at 3,000-3,500rpms at regular highway speeds here, nothing to be concerned about.
55.gif

Thank you guys! It's has give me confident to use havoline ds 10w30 in my sister car and havoline ds 10w40 in my car, probably will do the oil change next weekend.
Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back