How full do you go??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 360kid
I'm still going to continue to use the specified amount, except with the F150, that takes an extra 1/2 a quart to put it in the mid to upper part of the range. I checked on the Ford forum and many there said they have to put in the extra 1/2 quart too. Some put in a full extra quart and that will take you to the max line. I think this is unnecessary. There is a reason it says "max" and not simply "full". I prefer to stay a little under the max. No reason to push the envelope. As it is, I'm in the upper part of the range and that makes me feel comfortable.
Mine doesn't have a "Max" on the dipstick, it has a "Full" so I put it at that.

I think this is just chosen wording and not anything else.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Right to the max line. +/- .001" or so. LOL.

I'm pretty particular about it.

Wow, I'm impressed. I've never seen a dipstick that finely calibrated!
Now do you stop every 5 miles to check the level or do you "push the envelope" and let it go all the way to 10?

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
You know, all this talk makes me wonder. Instead of using thinner oils to increase MPG numbers, why don't we use less oil in the pan to lower the amount of weight we haul around so we can increase MPG numbers while keeping the engine more shielded? Just check your oil more often.

I wonder how much difference does the weight of a quart of oil actually affects mpg? I would think it is negligible enough to not risk running low on oil?

I wonder how accurate dipsticks are, and the variation between different cars of the same model.

If the mfg. specs. 6 quarts w/filter and the oil only comes 1/2 way up the stick, I would use that as the full mark.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: djlinux64
You know, all this talk makes me wonder. Instead of using thinner oils to increase MPG numbers, why don't we use less oil in the pan to lower the amount of weight we haul around so we can increase MPG numbers while keeping the engine more shielded? Just check your oil more often.

I wonder how much difference does the weight of a quart of oil actually affects mpg? I would think it is negligible enough to not risk running low on oil?

It's meaningless and an absolutely silly idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back