How full do you go??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I go by the dipstick, not the actual amount. It goes all the way to the top of the full mark, sometimes over.

+1 ... same here.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Full, never above... Too high can do more damage than too low apparently. (Not risking to find out!) :p

I think on most cars, having 1/4 ~ 1/2 qt over full isn't going to do any harm. If I'm over full (on the stick), it's not by much.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Full, never above... Too high can do more damage than too low apparently. (Not risking to find out!) :p

I think on most cars, having 1/4 ~ 1/2 qt over full isn't going to do any harm. If I'm over full (on the stick), it's not by much.

True. I've run my GN 2 quarts high before. During the first rebuild, I filled the oil pan up with the recommended capacity but with water. It still had 4-5" before it touched a counterweight and close to 3" before the top of the pan. Two quarts over still left a nice safety margin.

7 qts with an oversized oil filter brings the oil level to the top dot on the dipstick. 6 qts with the stock filter brings it in the middle.

Last edited:
The Tacoma uses no oil, so I just use a 5qt jug when it is what I have. This is a 1/2 qt les than it takes to make it just over the top mark. If using qt bottles, I usually top it off with some partial or odd lot qts that are laying around. The engine doesn't seem to mind eiyher way.

I always fill with the specified amount, but I generally never add oil unless it gets down to the "fill" mark. I've got a couple of engines that run through almost a quart in the first 2000 miles, and then never need any more oil the rest of an OCI. I just leave them alone unless they dip below the fill line.

There are two schools of thought- erring on the "full" side provides a bigger oil reserve and a bigger heat sink letting the oil run cooler. Erring on the "add" side reduces crank windage and possible foaming of the oil. With water-cooled engines, I consider the foaming risk greater than any benefit from an extra half quart to quart in the sump. The only exception would be if I were about to go corner-carving because that has a nasty tendency to uncover the oil pickup screen on most engines if the fill level is down a little.

Of course the best solution is an 8-quart deep-sump pan... best of both worlds
56.gif

Increased chance of foaming the oil I believe.

I keep mine filled at the max mark. I will do an OC and let my ride sit O/N then get a reading in the morning.

I put the specced amount. the 4.6 in the explorere 6 qts. the jeep 3.8 is 6 qts and the worktruck f150 with the 5.4 is 7 qts. THey all go to the top of the hatch marks.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
When I do an oil change, I typically use the specified oil amount listed in the owner's manual. Doing this, typically puts the oil level smack dab in the middle of the oil range on the diptick. This is typically where I leave it.

I was wondering if most people do the same, i.e leave the oil level in the middle of the range?? Or do most fill it right up to the max level on the dipstick??

360kid,

I'd check with the dealership regarding the stick you have. It might NOT be the correct one for your car!? IF you put in the specified amount of oil in the crankcase then it should be right up to the max/full line instead of being in the middle. It's not the first time the factory put in a wrong dip stick.

Durango

4 Liters fills it to the Minimum line and 5L fills it to the Max line so that's what I do, Dump in 5L and I'm smack-dab right on.

I would fill to the "Max" line all the time. This is good for a couple of reasons:

1) It gives you added insurance against a sudden leak like a filter or gasket etc. where you might loose some fluid in between checks/changes

2) It gives you extra oil sitting in the sump which makes sure the bottom end never runs dry, even while corning saving you from possible oil starvation.

3) It keeps the general oil storage in the sump cooler because of more volume of oil and allows for better cooling of the engine.

4) You have more additive because you have more oil, and you can hold more combustion by-products and dirt in your oil until the next change due to the extra volume.

More is always better, except when over the "Full/Max" mark on the dipstick, which can lead to engine damage due to aeration.

I'm still going to continue to use the specified amount, except with the F150, that takes an extra 1/2 a quart to put it in the mid to upper part of the range. I checked on the Ford forum and many there said they have to put in the extra 1/2 quart too. Some put in a full extra quart and that will take you to the max line. I think this is unnecessary. There is a reason it says "max" and not simply "full". I prefer to stay a little under the max. No reason to push the envelope. As it is, I'm in the upper part of the range and that makes me feel comfortable.

On the 05' and 03' Corolla, 4qts puts it just under the full mark. I leave it as is.

On the 00' Corolla, I usually put a little over 4qts, as the car burns oil.

If our cars don't burn or leak any oil, I just put in what's recommended.

You know, all this talk makes me wonder. Instead of using thinner oils to increase MPG numbers, why don't we use less oil in the pan to lower the amount of weight we haul around so we can increase MPG numbers while keeping the engine more shielded? Just check your oil more often.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always put the spec`d amount in for my car......4.5 quarts w/filter change.

Same here. level ends up on the full line.

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
You know, all this talk makes me wonder. Instead of using thinner oils to increase MPG numbers, why don't we use less oil in the pan to lower the amount of weight we haul around so we can increase MPG numbers while keeping the engine more shielded? Just check your oil more often.

The hypermilers do just that, thinner oil and less oil. Just keep it in the safe zone. Me I'll pass on that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back