How does this scam work?

I posted something for sale on Facebook marketplace. Almost immediately I got a DM. Asked for my address and my phone number.

I got a weird vibe so I gave them directions to the street corner where I would meet them. Then they started asking more and more for my phone number.

But they can call me through messenger or just msg me like they were doing already.

Then they said that they needed my number to send me the code.

What code? I didn't need or ask for any code? By now I knew something was up so I stopped responding to them.

What kind of scam is this and how's it work?

I always give them my home land line number. Never hear back from them again.
I need to price a land line … it’s not getting better on my personal cell - now starting on my company cell - and I often sleep in another time zone where it happens at 2 am …

They use your phone number to verify a new google voice account.

They can also send it in chinese so you dont see the warning message.. just the code..
SUPER COMMON SCAM NOW.

Interesting.

I sell things on CL occasionally, and people often give their phone # to text or call. If it is poorly written or seems odd I dont respond... But I wonder if even that is safe, since then they would have my cell #.

Almost fell for this once. Guy was bugging me to text back the code that Google texted me explicitly saying not to share the code with anyone.

I need to price a land line … it’s not getting better on my personal cell - now starting on my company cell - and I often sleep in another time zone where it happens at 2 am …
I work second shift and it’s really frustrating getting calls about free hotel stays, health insurance, and other crap at 8am. On days I don’t have side work lined up I try to sleep until 10 or 11 and never mastered being able to go to sleep again once the sun comes up.

I was selling a mower on CL. Same thing happened. Got a text from someone who wanted to text a verification code just to make sure I was real. I said text me a question like who was the 8th POTUS wife's name. He said no, it had to be a code. Bull:poop:.

Interesting.

I sell things on CL occasionally, and people often give their phone # to text or call. If it is poorly written or seems odd I dont respond... But I wonder if even that is safe, since then they would have my cell #.
Time for a burner cell? If not a cell then just buy one of those “bring your smartphone” setups. Get the SIM, set it up with a new number, swap sims when you need to. Or just set up an old phone for this.

My cell is on prepay so its a bit divorced from me, although I’m sure as time has gone on that number is starting to get associated with my data.

Interesting.

*67 is your friend here… Then the scammer realizes you’re on to them & you never hear from them again!

I only communicate with CL sales through a burner Yahoo email account. Would calling or texting be more convenient for them? Sure it would. Too bad. If they want what I'm selling they'll deal with it, as if it's in any way harder than trading texts which it isn't. I just make sure I'm not putting off any scammer vibes with my choice of wording.

I only communicate with CL sales through a burner Yahoo email account. Would calling or texting be more convenient for them? Sure it would. Too bad. If they want what I'm selling they'll deal with it, as if it's in any way harder than trading texts which it isn't. I just make sure I'm not putting off any scammer vibes with my choice of wording.

That's the way to do it, I filter out the scammers and morons. I pick and choose who I reply to and have had nothing but positive experiences on CL.

That's the way to do it, I filter out the scammers and morons. I pick and choose who I reply to and have had nothing but positive experiences on CL.
I been lucky myself sold audio equipment etc prior to my move no low life’s or scammers

I always give them my home land line number. Never hear back from them again.
Give them the number to the local police station.

If they contacted you, they are looking for a mark and they will call it.

Waste as much of their time as you can before you block them and stop responding. Apply this method to any individual not adding value to your life, and especially those that only want something from you, whether they are asking or not.

BiL gets a cheap thrill answering scam calls - telling them to hold - puts the phone down
How much of his time is he willing to waste before he needs to use the phone..

I havent gotten a scam call in awhile, but there are reasons for this.

Back