How does regular get into premium tank?

I know Astro talk about it a lot when it comes to flying a plane (especially with emergencies) but I was under the impression that there's usually a checklist of some sort where everything is supposed to be checked and double checked.
At least with small props they use 100LL and during preflight you’re supposed to take a small sample from your tanks to check for water contamination and 100LL is a light blue color for verification it was filled correctly.

At least with small props they use 100LL and during preflight you’re supposed to take a small sample from your tanks to check for water contamination and 100LL is a light blue color for verification it was filled correctly.

Well - I was thinking that just like a takeoff or emergency checklist, there would be a loading checklist and a delivery checklist to make sure that the right tanks are loaded and the right tanks unloaded. Of course a lot of things are easier when they're written down.

Now I start worrying if top-tier gas station will actually dump regular gas in their tank...
Keep in mind, independent stations often sell under signage of branded products. The store is still independent and a lot of them still have "shady" practices....definitely not ALL...but some do.

The big chains such as Race Track, QT, Circle K, Murphy Express, Costco, Kroger, etc DO NOT tolerate cross dropping product. The ONLY exception I ever hear of is if a higher octane accidentally gets dropped into the regular. If Regular ever gets dropped into a higher octane tank...those pumps are shut down and the tanks get pumped out whether it's all pumped into the Regular tank or onto a truck and taken elsewhere.

The big chain stores don't want the liability of mechanical issues nor violations for selling a product that does not meet the specs the consumer is paying for.

Store owner says put this product into that tank-- OK do it-- why is that any concern to the driver?
Because if and when the state comes around for a random spec check of the product in the tank...and the product fails due to dilution, etc., you can bet the farm that the store owner WILL throw the delivery driver under the bus. They would NEVER admit they requested dropping 87 octane into their 93 tank and would NEVER accept responsibility.

If it could ever get proven that it was a deliberate effort, then the store, the carrier AND the delivery driver can all receive fines. But you'll never get a store owner to admit they requested it.

Keep in mind, independent stations often sell under signage of branded products. The store is still independent and a lot of them still have "shady" practices....definitely not ALL...but some do.

The big chains such as Race Track, QT, Circle K, Murphy Express, Costco, Kroger, etc DO NOT tolerate cross dropping product. The ONLY exception I ever hear of is if a higher octane accidentally gets dropped into the regular. If Regular ever gets dropped into a higher octane tank...those pumps are shut down and the tanks get pumped out whether it's all pumped into the Regular tank or onto a truck and taken elsewhere.

The big chain stores don't want the liability of mechanical issues nor violations for selling a product that does not meet the specs the consumer is paying for.

Do you know if the major retailers have quality control inspectors that spot check accuracy levels of pump and/or octane levels and perhaps if the retailer is actually selling the brand on the sign?

Also, can you please elaborate on the "shady" practices above in regards to independent stations selling branded product?

Do you know if the major retailers have quality control inspectors that spot check accuracy levels of pump and/or octane levels and perhaps if the retailer is actually selling the brand on the sign?
I know that there are PLENTY of quality checks at the terminal level. I don't really know about the practices at the station (retail) level. Most likely they rely on the state weights and measures guys to detect issues, as well as customer complaints. Stations DO have people under contract to do any repairs to things like pumps, tanks, nozzels, fill caps, etc.

Don't forget octane aside, the only differences in gasoline are the additives and the required amounts of such. That is not an easy thing to tell so a test like that wouldn't be cheap.
I'd say that alone would rule out independent stations from doing such a test.

Why wouldn't the station owner just temporarily 'T' the line from the regular line to the premium line at the pump rather than involve others and increase risk for himself?

Also, can you please elaborate on the "shady" practices above in regards to independent stations selling branded product?
Pretty much ditto to everything @JohnnyG said.

Other than that, shady practices would include asking the delivery driver to drop 87 into a regular tank and even cleaning out the catch bucket which is under the fuel drop lids you see in the parking lots. Sometimes enough rain falls to fill those up with water. I've seen employees of some stores pump it out...straight down the tank's fill tube.

The Circle K stores I used to deliver hired out a 3rd party to come around to test the product in the tanks, keep the retail pump calibrated and service the pump filters. The state where I live will do the exact same on a random basis....and a store doesn't want the state to find anything out of spec.

Why wouldn't the station owner just temporarily 'T' the line from the regular line to the premium line at the pump rather than involve others and increase risk for himself?
Too involved, too expensive and still a risk of getting caught. Pumps and under ground storage tanks have to be inspected every year to keep their permit. The state inspectors leave no stone unturned. They are extremely thorough and you can't hide anything from them...they're good.

Doesn't anyone recognize the line from Casablanca?

"I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!" - referring to gambling in the town...

I live in constant fear of this. I have a supercharged 5.4 and a supercharged 5.8 that require premium. The 5.8 has a knock sensor so it would pull timing BUT the sensor detects detonation AFTER it has happened.
The 5.4 is older so it doesn't have a sensor.
Supercharged 5.8?? Windsor?? What’s it in if so? Also if your talking ford the 5.8 was before the 5.4. I have a 94 E150 5.8 and always looking for cool upgrades.

Doesn't anyone recognize the line from Casablanca?

"I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!" - referring to gambling in the town...

I'm pretty sure that most got it.

My go to movie line is still "Talk to me Goose" with my 11 year old riding shotgun. Didn't know what it means either. I just asked my kid today and got the response that it meant that I must think that my kid is a goose.

I'm pretty sure that most got it.

My go to movie line is still "Talk to me Goose" with my 11 year old riding shotgun. Didn't know what it means either. I just asked my kid today and got the response that it meant that I must think that my kid is a goose.
In that case, I think it’s high time your 11 year old watched “Top Gun”! 😎

Store owner says put this product into that tank-- OK do it-- why is that any concern to the driver?
Illegal, immoral, irresponsible, participating in thievery. How'd you like to be the recipient of misbranded fuel, pay for something you're not getting?

I have never been offered any compensation or bribe to do it. It is ALWAYS the foreign independent store owners asking. A lot of times, they will purposely order too much Regular unleaded...thinking I will just dump it into the premium because it's easier than finding another store to take it to.

They didn't take into account that I already know their tank size. When I get there, the 1st thing I do is stick the tank to see if the ordered load will fit. If it won't, I'll drop all the compartments that I KNOW will fit. If there's not enough room to drop the entire last compartment, I retain it and get my dispatch or boss to find another location that can take it.

The good thing about having to divert any part of the load gets expensive for the store owner. My boss has charged $1000 to take diverted product just 10 miles to another location. This is in attempt to break them from their practices.
Hi GoldDot40, Do you ever check for water in the tank? I get bad fuel all to regularly up here - especially at Mobil stations just off highway exits, so ia have been using Irving with better luck.
Back in the late 70's I remember putting a putty on the stick that would change color in the presence of water. I recall there was always "some" on the bottom. I guess with E10 gas that would be a big NO ?
Thanks - Ken

In that case, I think it’s high time your 11 year old watched “Top Gun”! 😎

Oh - my kid has seen it in the background since I have numerous ways to watch the digital download I got years ago. Has never taken a huge interest in it though.

Wondering if we should go to San Francisco Fleet Week this weekend. It might be interesting seeing the Blue Angels now flying Super Hornets.

Back in the late 70's I remember putting a putty on the stick that would change color in the presence of water. I recall there was always "some" on the bottom. I guess with E10 gas that would be a big NO ?
Thanks - Ken
You really need to define "bad gas" a little better. Yes, they still have Indicator Paste to detect water in gasoline, and it's a special type that is more compatible with fuel containing ethanol. However, we all know gasoline and water don't mix, but alcohol has an affinity for water.

A little bit of water in fuel containing ethanol will just be absorbed, and might burn poorly, too much water and you get phase seperation. When that happens all of the alcohol will combine with the water and drop to the bottom of the tank. It won't burn at all and the tank needs to be emptied and refilled.

I cringed at the thought of station employees pumping that water down into the tanks as @GoldDot40 mentioned above. 😫

When I was in my early 20's (nearly 40 years ago), I took a job as an attendant at a self serve gas station. I was only there for a few days when the manager told me "Tell your friends not to buy premium" When I looked at her, she said "It comes from the same tanks as regular. Sometimes someone will say how great their car ran after they bought premium" and she chuckled.

Well, my friends were usually taking back bottles and looking for loose change for gas, so they certainly weren't buying it anyway. Thought to myself, "Wow, you are really telling this to your new employee who you are paying minimum wage?" smh

The station sold single bottles of Coke for 75 cents each as well as 8 packs for $3. She told me just to write down how many 8 packs I sold every night, so they could reconcile the money in the register. Well, it didn't take me long to figure out that if I sold 6 singles and marked down an 8 pack, I could drink a couple free bottles every shift along with a candy bar and some chips. Statute of limitations has probably expired by now. lol

Rationalized that if they were willing to cheat people, I could play that game against them just as easy without losing much sleep. Worked there just a few months until a customer buying gas for his delivery trucks offered me a job delivering ladies clothing to area shopping malls.

Back