How does regular get into premium tank?

Now I start worrying if top-tier gas station will actually dump regular gas in their tank...

I don't know exactly how that would work. At the fuel depot they'll absolutely make sure that a delivery destined for a specific retailer contains everything required by the marketing agreement. And it's just about additives.

The biggest problem would seem to be with independents who aren't required to have anything except the EPA minimum requirements.

Don't forget the State weights and measures guys. Some of them are starting to do octane testing and alcohol content. Ohio started doing octane checks before I left there 8 years ago. I don't know how well that program has been supported over the years though.

I don't know exactly how that would work. At the fuel depot they'll absolutely make sure that a delivery destined for a specific retailer contains everything required by the marketing agreement. And it's just about additives.

The biggest problem would seem to be with independents who aren't required to have anything except the EPA minimum requirements.
If you own a Mobil (or pick any top tier franchise) branded station, the Mobil rep can stop in and test the fuel at any time. Any violation of the franchise agreement is BIG trouble for the franchisee.

Here in Massachusetts I've definitely gotten "premium" that was diluted with regular, pretty easy for me to tell because my engine will ping on everything but 93.

Some of them are starting to do octane testing and alcohol content. Ohio started doing octane checks before I left there 8 years ago. I don't know how well that program has been supported over the years though.
Ohio (at the state level) doesn't do that but there have been proposed laws giving county auditors add'l rights at checking fuel. Currently, they only check that the pumps dispense what they say and maybe water content. They want to check things like octane but don't have that authority.

Actually, according to this summary, county auditors can only check the quantity, nothing else. Senate Bill 71 would give them the authority to check octane, water, and other quality aspects.

I live in constant fear of this. I have a supercharged 5.4 and a supercharged 5.8 that require premium. The 5.8 has a knock sensor so it would pull timing BUT the sensor detects detonation AFTER it has happened.
The 5.4 is older so it doesn't have a sensor.

Don't forget the State weights and measures guys. Some of them are starting to do octane testing and alcohol content. Ohio started doing octane checks before I left there 8 years ago. I don't know how well that program has been supported over the years though.

In my state there can be regular testing, but I believe octane rating is not part of the specified tests. They do testing for assorted things like specific content and sulfur. But again, if anyone deliberately engages in fraudulent actions as a common carrier, they could get in serious trouble, which I believe includes personal liability if someone sues. I mean - who would want to be subject to a class action lawsuit just for delivering a load of gasoline?

gasspecs.pdf

My good friend does this in Michigan. Making sure it dispenses the proper amount and puts those stickers on the pump saying it is certified etc. I don’t however know if they test the octane (he never mentioned that)

My good friend does this in Michigan. Making sure it dispenses the proper amount and puts those stickers on the pump saying it is certified etc. I don’t however know if they test the octane (he never mentioned that)

The only thing I can think of on pumps are weights and measures stickers. I've even seen those on old-fashioned gravity feed pumps that have to be hand pumped into graduated vials.

I'm not sure if there are really any direct controls or testing on octane rating of pump fuel. I'd think there's more civil and criminal fraud liability.

Interesting.. I know quite a few of our cryo tanker drivers hauled gasoline/diesel at one time or another. I'll have to inquire about this. As far as I know the hoses/connections and fill ports are all the same. It's up to the driver to dispense in the proper hole LOL.

Interesting.. I know quite a few of our cryo tanker drivers hauled gasoline/diesel at one time or another. I'll have to inquire about this. As far as I know the hoses/connections and fill ports are all the same. It's up to the driver to dispense in the proper hole LOL.
This is the point that has always concerned me most. Was the driver in a 12-hour long-haul fog when he hooked up the hoses? There's no way to be sure mistakes aren't made. Too bad the ports aren't different from one-another.

Too bad the ports aren't different from one-another.
Well they are actually. Most states at least require a color code to be used. All tankers I've seen in recent years have individual drop connections on the tank belly and each of those has a flippable indicator just above it. When the truck is being loaded it is just a simple matter for the driver to flip the indicator to the proper product he is putting in that compartment.
Many years ago, tanker trucks used a manifold system where all 4 compartments could be opened to one hose. It didn't take too long for oil companies and tank truck owners to figure out that that was not a great idea.

API has a universal color code defined for all products. Here is one example:

colorcodes.jpeg

There are some states that do test octane - Missouri and North Carolina are two that come to mind. Other states do not and only test for accuracy of the fuel pump volumes.

For others, their agreement with their brand requires they allow spot checking and termination of their agreements if they are found to not be following the brand requirements.

It isn't perfect, but is part of the reason that many like to stick to a brand, even if the fuel comes from the same terminal...

I hope there are drivers that report such fraudulent practices to the state agency overseeing the stations. It might put some fear into the cheaters if they were the focus of a law enforcement “sting”, if that’s the right word.

Z.

This is the point that has always concerned me most. Was the driver in a 12-hour long-haul fog when he hooked up the hoses? There's no way to be sure mistakes aren't made. Too bad the ports aren't different from one-another.

I know Astro talk about it a lot when it comes to flying a plane (especially with emergencies) but I was under the impression that there's usually a checklist of some sort where everything is supposed to be checked and double checked.

Back