How does regular get into premium tank?

Another case (link below) in NJ where multiple gas stations were caught dispensing regular from the premium pump.

Does the station need the cooperation of the tanker driver and/or the trucking company doing the delivery to pull this off? Do they siphon gas out of the regular tank after delivery and transfer to premium tank? I'm curious to how this is done.

These types of things seem to happen more frequently at unbranded gas stations in NJ.

Probably just paying off the drivers to put regular in the premium tanks I would imagine. I doubt there are ways to pump fuel from tank to tank since that would just mix up the grades.

Good for them. If you make it more expensive to violate than to actually provide what they're advertising, they'll shape up. The fines, plus word-of-mouth will hit their wallets good.

This is one reason I drive right by the unbranded & smaller stations & go to the busy Exxon, Chevron & Shell stations, and hope they're above board.

The tanker driver has to be involved for this type of stuff. I've been asked to do it...more than a few times and I've always refused.
A driver I know told me he used to haul fuel for about a week. From his first day on the job, the other drivers told him this is how it's done and he's going to do it too or else. He tried resisting but then he found out what "or else" entailed and he decided to move on. He said the drivers were getting paid about $50 for each load of regular they dumped in the premium tanks.

A driver I know told me he used to haul fuel for about a week. From his first day on the job, the other drivers told him this is how it's done and he's going to do it too or else. He tried resisting but then he found out what "or else" entailed and he decided to move on. He said the drivers were getting paid about $50 for each load of regular they dumped in the premium tanks.
I have never been offered any compensation or bribe to do it. It is ALWAYS the foreign independent store owners asking. A lot of times, they will purposely order too much Regular unleaded...thinking I will just dump it into the premium because it's easier than finding another store to take it to.

They didn't take into account that I already know their tank size. When I get there, the 1st thing I do is stick the tank to see if the ordered load will fit. If it won't, I'll drop all the compartments that I KNOW will fit. If there's not enough room to drop the entire last compartment, I retain it and get my dispatch or boss to find another location that can take it.

The good thing about having to divert any part of the load gets expensive for the store owner. My boss has charged $1000 to take diverted product just 10 miles to another location. This is in attempt to break them from their practices.

The tanker driver has to be involved for this type of stuff. I've been asked to do it...more than a few times and I've always refused.
At first I thought no driver would do this - there's too much risk, but you're a driver.... and it actually sounds common !

A driver I know told me he used to haul fuel for about a week. From his first day on the job, the other drivers told him this is how it's done and he's going to do it too or else. He tried resisting but then he found out what "or else" entailed and he decided to move on.
Not playing dumb, but what is the "or else" ? If one driver refuses, it's an opportunity for others, isn't it ? I suppose drivers can't always (or ever) pick who they deliver to but if they could, they can just try and take those that they know offer under-the-table cash.

Ahpoo purposely orders too much regular. Sometime it is easier for the driver to just throw the hose over in the premium tank. The alternatives are as said above, get the dispatch changed, or haul it all the way back to the terminal to (usually) pump it off.

I have never been offered any compensation or bribe to do it. It is ALWAYS the foreign independent store owners asking. A lot of times, they will purposely order too much Regular unleaded...thinking I will just dump it into the premium because it's easier than finding another store to take it to.

They didn't take into account that I already know their tank size. When I get there, the 1st thing I do is stick the tank to see if the ordered load will fit. If it won't, I'll drop all the compartments that I KNOW will fit. If there's not enough room to drop the entire last compartment, I retain it and get my dispatch or boss to find another location that can take it.

The good thing about having to divert any part of the load gets expensive for the store owner. My boss has charged $1000 to take diverted product just 10 miles to another location. This is in attempt to break them from their practices.
Thanks for the insights. In NJ, one thing l have noticed is that the larger well-known tanker trucking companies deliver to Costco, Wawa, Quik Check and the brand names such as Exxon, Shell etc.
It is often obscure tanker outfits with no signage on the trucks that deliver to the unbranded gas stations here in NJ.

Thanks for the insights. In NJ, one thing l have noticed is that the larger well-known tanker trucking companies deliver to Costco, Wawa, Quik Check and the brand names such as Exxon, Shell etc.
It is often obscure tanker outfits with no signage on the trucks that deliver to the unbranded gas stations here in NJ.
They all get fuel from the same place though (@GoldDot40 explained this in great detail some time back). It could be nothing more than an "image" thing where the well-known gas station names require (in their contract with the fuel distributor) to use "branded" tankers.

They all get fuel from the same place though (@GoldDot40 explained this in great detail some time back). It could be nothing more than an "image" thing where the well-known gas station names require (in their contract with the fuel distributor) to use "branded" tankers.

I haven't seen anything like that in ages. Granted around here it's mostly Kenan Advatange after they bought out Beneto. I haven't seen a retail fuel brand on a tanker in a couple of decades. There used to be Shell and Arco branded tankers here. I'm not sure anyone really cares who delivers other than they'd be worried about liability if maybe a less reputable outfit does something to cheat the customer.

I haven't seen anything like that in ages. Granted around here it's mostly Kenan Advatange....
I have seen Kenan around here as well and definitely see branded tankers out and about. It may be less than in the past, yes. I definitely see Shell, Thorntons (mostly a regional chain), Speedway / Marathon, and others.

Back