How do you make Stir-Fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would post my Stir-Fry recipe which is absolutely delicious and others can list theirs.

I start out with some soya-sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, white onion and a bit of olive oil, and a cup of water. I put this in the Wok and bring it to a steamy boil.

I add the cut up chicken pieces and season with a bit of salt and some black pepper and leave covered until the chicken is almost cooked. On the high setting.

I add water and more soya-sauce as necessary.

I then add all the vegetables such as sliced carrots, small broccoli pieces, red & green pepers, some more white onion, and water chestnut slices and cover again as this will steam the vegetables.

In a ricer cooker I make brown Basmati rice that I will serve the Stir-Fry on, or skinny egg-noodles if I don't feel like rice.

Once the vegetables are cooked but still a bit crunchy, I turn off the heat. Cover the place with a thin layer of rice and then scoop on the mixture of vegetables and chicken on top.

Put a touch of Soya-Sauce on the top and pinch of pepper and serve.

Delicious.
20.gif
Easy to make and fast. All done within 30 minutes!
wink.gif

Looks similar to this:

close-up-vegetable-stir-fry_~67083.JPG

last night's was sliced lamb, sauteed with a sliced onion, some green chillie and some garlic in some rice bran oil.

Then added chopped green beans, red capsicum, cauliflower and carrot.

A little Soy, a tablespoon of honey, and about 3-4tablespoons of wholegrain mustard, and a good lug of masalla.

Served over absorption cooked brown medium grain rice.

Other stir fries use whatever meats, and whatever veges, and whatever sauces take my fancy.

Do "steam" frying during the week if I don't have much time to stand by stove.

I really enjoy cooking and making/eating good food. Gotta have a passion for it, but man it is delicious if you do it right.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I really enjoy cooking and making/eating good food. Gotta have a passion for it, but man it is delicious if you do it right.
thumbsup2.gif

+1

There is enough moisture in the veggie why do you want to add water to "steam it"...it becomes too mushy. You want 'crunchy' veggie.

Heat wok on high add oil. Wok needs to be hot. Add minced garlic with green onions. Stir fry until onions are cooked, 1 minute. This will give the flavor in the oil. Add chicken and stir fry until half cooked. Add veggie and stir fry. Shoyu should be added the last 1-2 minutes when done.

If you want to soak the chicken with a shoyu sauce with garlic, ginger, tad cane sugar and mirin couple hours before stir frying to give extra flavor to the chicken.

I like Thai peppers and beware your house will be filled with the aroma of the Capsicum. Stir fry without hot peppers is the missing link if you like spice with heat. I'm never without it when stir frying.

That sounds more like steaming, but whatever floats your boat - for sure less oil.

I do usually start with oil, and depending on what I'm fixing may cook one thing at a time and then only recombine for the final searing heat.

My wife has a much wider array of "stir fry" delicacies. Ants on a tree. Beef and broccoli. Stuffed tufu cubes. Curry chicken. Etc. I guess distinguishing between "stir fry" and "woking" may be useful for discussion.

I gotta watch the oils as it isn't good for the weight or overall health! (Olive oil is ok in limited use)
grin2.gif

Chinese food is not a good choice for those on a low fat diet. Proper stir frying demands a decent quantity of oil. A non stick wok is an option, but with the high heat demands of stir frying, I wouldn't use non-stick.

I like stir frying, but have issues with chrappy gas stoves (I live in an apt) not putting out enought BTU's to cook it the right way. Gonna have to build a traditional Chinese wood stove in the backyard!

Chinese are not the only ones that has stir fry. Chinese food in general tend to be oily. When stir frying you don't need to use a lot of oil. I use macadamia nut.

I do a steam stir fry as one of my quick and CHEAP meals. Walmart has these several pound sacks of stir fry veggies with packets of soy-like sauce. Add some Kikkoman soy as well.

There's a tasteless boneless cut of pork I can sometimes get for $1/lb that when cut up and soaked in soy sauce you can't taste the difference.

Over rice with some brown & serve egg rolls it's good-- not great-- but cheap and the leftovers nuke nicely at work. The other benifit is how relatively few pans are used up cooking this.

ALOTTA GREASE, ALOTTA SALT, SOME GREEN STUFF, AND SOME MEAT.

I make it several different ways but I always use bean sprouts and mushrooms. They soak up the flavor really well. Shreds of pork beats chicken and then beef beats both of them. Always marinated. I tend not to use too very much oil/grease.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
thumbsup2.gif

Same here, buddy! Being an Engineer, I LOVE to experiment with food also.

BONUS: My Girlfriend is traditional Asian - 19 years in Cambodia.

Top quality ingredients is used, WAY better than restaurants cheap junk...

She grows her own Bean Sprouts and sells them to co-workers every week.

Her "real" Asian cooking is unbelieveable!
thumbsup2.gif

I routinely get:

- Curry Chicken Soup

- Shrimp Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage

- Beef & Brocolli in sauce

- Steam Rolls

- Spring Rolls

- INCREDIBLE homemade EGG ROLLS with HOMEMADE FISH SAUCE!
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

- Sticky Rice Desserts

So much more!

Served with a smile, attentive, always cleans the table right away and cleans everything up too. No attitude, no whining, no complaining, just eagarly does it.

I do the same for her too! She can't believe it and neither can I!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Cambodian.

Reason I ask the cuisine you described is very similar to Vietnamese. To make it right it's all the small stuff put together. I frequented Vietnamese bars and when they served us they went all out. Great seafood dishes ... the real stuff in that area.

She grew up on a self-sufficient rural land, no running water, no electricity, she's a sweet, respectful ultra traditional person.

Then, in the late 70's, her parents, uncles and aunts got slaughtered, she ran for her life, starving, almost dying. Thank God she's doing great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back