How do you like the driving aids in today's cars?

Just took the Prius in to get the peeling white paint repaired. Been waiting for months.

For a loaner, they set us up with a 2024 Corolla SE. I've been driving older vehicles so long... I don't think I've been so impressed with a rental car, ever.

Anyway, this thing has Toyota's TSS 3.0, so it's got the collision detection, adaptive cruise down to 0 mph, and lane guidance. I have driven my mom's 2017 Pilot a few times with the lane keeping, but this Toyota seems a little better. Been really enjoying the ACC and lane guidance in my rush hour commute, a bit less stressful.

How about you? Do you like the driver assists? I'm a fan!

Also might be good for people with disabilities - reduces the skill required to drive safely, IMO.

i like that they are available, but i deactivate most of these driving aids in my 2024 cx-90. i find them to be a nuisance to my driving style. i appreciate that in my Mazda , i still have the option to deactivate them all. i only keep active the driving aids that d'ont interfere with my driving.

Old however skid control saved me driving in snow storm going 50 mph clipping the unplowed snow putting car into swerve. Just steered with skid and applied light throttle and regained it after crossing lanes left/right twice.

I have driven my mom's 2017 Pilot
I think these systems take leaps and bounds every couple of years. My Mom has an '18 CR-V with the top-tier of Honda's Safety Sense at that time but it's a night and day difference with my wife's '24 Grand Highlander (also with v3.0 like the Corolla). We drove to Gatlinburg from SW Ohio and for the bulk of the drive, the car took care of everything. Adaptive cruise control, lane-keep, it even steers through curves or sweeping bends on the interstate highway.

I still haven't figured out if it senses your hand on the steering wheel through "touch" or input though but you do need to keep your hand(s) on the steering wheel or it nags you. As long as you're touching it though, loosen your grip just slightly and it steers through your hands. I wish ours had lane-change-assist but it's only offered on the Platinum trim.

I like most of them. The ones I don't like are only because they are bad implementations.

It's important to remember the difference between driving aids and safety nannies.

GMs lane assist ('22 Bolt/'24 CT5) is a solid 8/10
I think it's momentary lapses in judgement are due to poor NYC road markings and surfaces
Pedestrian detection isn't as reliable, I swear the Bolt is schizophrenic, sometimes detecting pedestrians that aren't there 😲
I've learned that keeping the radar panels clean (periodic car washes) improves accuracy and reduces false alarms

Rear AEB in the 2020 XT4 was simply awful, it thought everything was an imminent danger when reversing, slamming on the brakes for mailboxes and people standing on the sidewalk
Usually sending me into a PTSD driven rage, because it's an exaggerated feeling of getting rear ended 🤬

ADAS as a whole seems to be getting a little better year by year, maybe in a few more years it'll be perfected
IIHS is now testing performance in day vs night

Last edited:
Auto braking got turned off in my '20 Traverse, and everyone in the fleet that has it, after it did a 15 mph hard braking for the invisible man. Did it to my wife on a dirt road in the woods. No bigfoot was sighted either. Glad there wasn't a pizza or jug of milk on the passenger seat.
Rear cameras are handy, big screen in my Silverado makes it useful unlike those early screen in the rearview mirror ones.

I've never even heard of this. Is it to force you to use the backup camera screen?
It's the passenger side mirror that tilts down a bit when going into reverse so you can see the curb when backing up while parallel parking. It doesn't tilt downward very far and you can still see what's behind your car. I find it useful. I have not seen the driver-side mirror move in reverse but I drive mostly off-brand Euro cars.

Last edited:
I've had adaptive cruise control with stop & go function on a few cars now and it's sorely missed on my current daily driver. Used to take all the stress out of the heavy traffic driving where speed is constantly fluctuating.

I've got another 3.5 years left until I change my current car but my next car needs a big 6 cylinder diesel engine, an automatic gearbox and adaptive cruise. Unfortunately I think if I want to stick to a car, my only option is going to be a BMW M340d as Audi have stopped selling the S4 with the 3.0 TDi. If I fancy another SUV then the Mazda CX60 3.3 MHEV would fit the bill and if I decide for some weird and wonderful reason that I want a truck, then my options are plenty.

Back