Do you trust the driving sensors?

Like all warning systems, they’re a back-up.

I will honor a sensor warning, but I don’t rely on them to keep me safe.

The primary safety system in the car is the wheel/pedal interface, sometimes called a driver.
And that is particularly Subaru's problem.
Their marketing is so aggressive in pushing these driving aids that drivers are led to believe that they are replacements for the interface you are talking about.
Subaru is absolutely shameless in pushing this kind of marketing (in my business we would call that propaganda). The horror when it gets slick here, and the amount of Subaru's participating in those "events" tells me they really believe that.

I am a believer that automation over time makes many people, (but not all), lazy and unattentive. It's human nature. I have both lane departure and adaptive cruise control on my car. The lane departure I hated by the time I got it home from the dealer. I turned it off, and have never turned it on since.

I like the adaptive cruise control, rather than having to constantly tap dance on the brake pedal everytime you come up on a slower vehicle. But it wouldn't bother me in the least to live without it.

Advanced automation in the aircraft industry has led to more than a few accidents. People have argued it makes pilots less skilled, and more automation dependant. If so I see it doing much the same with drivers. And there is already a lack of that on the roads today.

And that is particularly Subaru's problem.
Their marketing is so aggressive in pushing these driving aids that drivers are led to believe that they are replacements for the interface you are talking about.
Subaru is absolutely shameless in pushing this kind of marketing (in my business we would call that propaganda). The horror when it gets slick here, and the amount of Subaru's participating in those "events" tells me they really believe that.
While Subaru has great pride in their Eyesight system, Subaru isn't Tesla, where people will use autopilot and then hang out in the back seat, take a nap, etc.

(may have talked about this on BITOG before)

More recent in San Diego

While Subaru has great pride in their Eyesight system, Subaru isn't Tesla, where people will use autopilot and then hang out in the back seat, take a nap, etc.

(may have talked about this on BITOG before)

More recent in San Diego
I agree.

I forced myself to try the adaptive CC in my mom's fusion and I ended up loving it. The rest of it's sensors were pretty good too - except sometimes in stop-go traffic, the car's parking sensors come up on the screen. In my mazda, I do trust it but I dislike how close the car gets before it starts to slow down to maintain the set distance. Like @PimTac stated, it's merely a tool to help and it saves me on a lot of "let me see if a car is next to me just in case."

Ever had the emergency braking kick in for the ''invisible man''? I have in my '20 Traverse. It's turned off now. Was driving on a dirt road out of town at the time nothing in sight.
Just glad I wasn't bringing home that pizza, it would have been a nice mess on the floor.

Do you trust people?

Who design those sensors? Who made them? Who installed and calibrated them? Who wrote the system application/software that uses them? Who decided the cost/benefit of these sensors and the system that uses them?
I suspect the majority of drivers today rely on their backup camera and warning buzzers when going in reverse and never bother to turn their heads to look.

My 15 Tacoma doesn’t have sensors other than a crappy back up camera. My wife’s Pilot has them. For the most part I don’t rely on them. I learned to drive before they existed.

The blind spot sensors have saved potential accidents a couple of times for me. I think they are very valuable.
How many accidents did you have before you got that option? I haven't sideswiped anyone yet and I don't have that option. I just look over my should to the right every time I move right. I use a blind spot mirror for the driver side. Never got around to putting one on the passenger side. A few times I thought it was clear and bingo, someone was riding in my blind spot. But I looked first so never made the move.

I guess if I had it, I'd trust it once I checked it. Same with my blind spot mirror. I park and watch the cars go past me and make sure I see everything in the mirror and that it's adjusted properly before I trust it. I'm not sure I'd follow it anyway, I've seen them light up on cars as I go past them and sometimes I think I could have still squeezed into the spot even if the light was on.

I suspect the majority of drivers today rely on their backup camera and warning buzzers when going in reverse and never bother to turn their heads to look.
My backup camera is a terrifying replacement for a decent greenhouse. I use both outside mirrors, a head swivel, and the camera and it's still worse than just looking over my right shoulder.

Styling has eaten away some perfectly good glass and sightlines and I hate it.

I see the blind spot monitoring in other peoples' outside mirrors as I approach. If I were a meathead and camped out in their blind spots it might provide me impetus to move, in fact. But I'm situationally aware... and they aren't.

I just can't back out of a parking space with out looking over shoulder. I don't use the back up camera for anything other than in my truck to align the hitch ball, it's handy for that.

The mirrors on the Mazda have little arrows that light up when some one is beside you , I find that dangerous as it distracts my eyes from the road, when I'm not changing lanes.

Is that the mirror lighting up or the side marker lights of another car ? I have make myself ignore them when driving. I don't need them to light up as I use my mirrors and side windows when changing lanes.

I like the adaptive cruise on my JGC, but the Active Driving Assist sucks. It tries to center the vehicle too far to the left than I'm used to doing, and it causes me to fight the wheel constantly. Never use it.

Back