Do you trust the driving sensors?

I don't trust them. Them being who's behind the wheel of the other car.

On the interstate, I've overtaken vehicles with blink spot detection (I can see the blinking light on their rear view mirror) and have the driver blindly (pun intended) move into my lane.

I grew up off 101/Shorline/85 where this wreck happened.
"Walter Huang's family tells Dan Noyes he took his Tesla to the dealer, complaining that -- on multiple occasions -- the Autopilot veered toward that same barrier -- the one his Model X hit on Friday when he died."

Why did he continue to use the auto-pilot if veering off course was a known issue?

I just can't back out of a parking space with out looking over shoulder. I don't use the back up camera for anything other than in my truck to align the hitch ball, it's handy for that.

The mirrors on the Mazda have little arrows that light up when some one is beside you , I find that dangerous as it distracts my eyes from the road, when I'm not changing lanes.

Is that the mirror lighting up or the side marker lights of another car ? I have make myself ignore them when driving. I don't need them to light up as I use my mirrors and side windows when changing lanes.

The mirror lights are a standard warning on every vehicle with BSM. This is where the HUD shines. I can glance at my HUD and if the BSM alerts are visible I don’t take any further actions.

My backup camera is a terrifying replacement for a decent greenhouse. I use both outside mirrors, a head swivel, and the camera and it's still worse than just looking over my right shoulder.

Styling has eaten away some perfectly good glass and sightlines and I hate it.

I see the blind spot monitoring in other peoples' outside mirrors as I approach. If I were a meathead and camped out in their blind spots it might provide me impetus to move, in fact. But I'm situationally aware... and they aren't.
Yes, I like my cars for just looking over my shoulder and seeing what's going on. Subaru is one of the few manufacturers who still provide decent visibility with all of their cars. The Forester and Outback are pretty good anyways and all the Subaru's still have the small side windows on the front doors still, and not a big glob of plastic with the side mirror attached to it to block part of your forward view too...

My parents actually traded in a Nissan Rogue after a couple months to get their Forester because the Rogue's 360 camera really is useless for backing up out of their driveway onto the street, and the rear windows behind the rear doors are useless from the drivers seat...

I would leave the safety sensors on if our cars had them, but I wouldn't pay more that $50 for all of them really. My eyes and neck still work and we are rarely on multilane roads. I will not use lane keep assist though... Our roads aren't lined well enough for that and its just annoying when its working half decent only half the time....

I was born with sensors called a brain, a pair or eyes, and a pair of ears. They're pretty handy. If you need these hand holding sensors of any kind, you should turn in your license and take the bus.

No Sir, I live in Texas and A/c is a must. The A/C on the Isuzu has been non-functional for many many many years now. I've been told the entire unit needs to be replaced but no parts available because Isuzu Japan quit making them. The Isuzu is used only for hauling stuffs. Otherwise it sits on the garage for months with/on a tender. And BTW, my daughter whenever she's in town (she drives now a QX60) she borrows "only" the Isuzu because she used that p/up back in college. A sentimental value to her. She likes riding at the back of the p/up truck when she was a little kid with "Dimples", her favorite cat (RIP). That's also the vehicle where she learned how to drive the stick shift
I thought it used a 1.9l diesel made by VW? I would expect the A/C parts to still be in service.

My newest vehicle is a 2004 Dodge Ram SLT, but for the two previous weeks, I was on vacation driving my mother’s 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring. I have plantar fasciitis and really appreciate cruise control, so I appreciated the adaptive feature even more. The blind spot monitoring and backup camera were nice too, but I wouldn’t rely solely on them without looking/using my mirrors. I didn’t do much night driving, but one feature I would turn off is the automatic high beams. They still have the ability to throw some serious light through peoples home windows at a time when most people are trying to sleep.

And that is particularly Subaru's problem.
Their marketing is so aggressive in pushing these driving aids that drivers are led to believe that they are replacements for the interface you are talking about.
Subaru is absolutely shameless in pushing this kind of marketing (in my business we would call that propaganda). The horror when it gets slick here, and the amount of Subaru's participating in those "events" tells me they really believe that.
Trying to figure out where you are coming from other than you hate subaru. The eyesight on my '22 Forester is fantastic as is the rear auto braking with cross traffic alert in advance of braking. I put it in adaptive cruse in 90% of my driving. I am sure all subaru drivers totally ignore common sense and drive on slick roads like there is no problem.:cautious:. So you are saying amazing state of the art safety features make driving less safe for just subaru drivers and presumably those"better" drivers that rely on safety equipment on non suraru cars?

I see from your list of vehicles, all of them are generations behind subaru's safe technology. You really should try todays safety features in even non subaru vehicles. My daughter's Rogue is quite good.

Trying to figure out where you are coming from other than you hate subaru. The eyesight on my '22 Forester is fantastic as is the rear auto braking with cross traffic alert in advance of braking. I put it in adaptive cruse in 90% of my driving. I am sure all subaru drivers totally ignore common sense and drive on slick roads like there is no problem.:cautious:. So you are saying amazing state of the art safety features make driving less safe for just subaru drivers and presumably those"better" drivers that rely on safety equipment on non suraru cars?

I see from your list of vehicles, all of them are generations behind subaru's safe technology. You really should try todays safety features in even non subaru vehicles. My daughter's Rogue is quite good.
Hmmm, I do drive often current vehicles, and many offered long time ago what Subaru brands as “latest, greatest” thing.
And yes, on slick roads here it is Subaru fest, fallowed by JEEP’s.
Reason is that marketing. We literally have billboards here marketing Subaru as the absolute king of the snow roads, regardless that no one got killed from being slow going forward, and that while good, their AWD system is far from being the best.
It is that over the top, aggressive marketing that gets average driver, oblivious to what actually matters (tires for example) in the trouble. Subaru will advertise Eye Sight and then deliver mediocre Falken tires on the vehicle.

Hmmm, I do drive often current vehicles, and many offered long time ago what Subaru brands as “latest, greatest” thing.
And yes, on slick roads here it is Subaru fest, fallowed by JEEP’s.
Reason is that marketing. We literally have billboards here marketing Subaru as the absolute king of the snow roads, regardless that no one got killed from being slow going forward, and that while good, their AWD system is far from being the best.
It is that over the top, aggressive marketing that gets average driver, oblivious to what actually matters (tires for example) in the trouble. Subaru will advertise Eye Sight and then deliver mediocre Falken tires on the vehicle.
News flash if you trust marketing hype by anyone, you just arrived on the planet in a turnup space ship. As their AWD being far from the best..all I can say is" lol". Is it the best in its CLASS? ...Any non biased person would have a hard time denying that. Their tires are certainly acceptable in normal driving. I replaced mine after 25K miles with Michelin CrossClimate2's . If there is ground clearance it will go where run of the mill AWD's can't go. I probably will replace my stock tires on my '22 Forester at about 25K miles also (with the Michelims. )

Its about tires, tires, tires.

I know a guy who fell asleep in a Tesla and hit a guard rail and wiped out the car which is in the repair shop. Do I trust all the sensors? NO!!!
I know a guy was killed in a Tesla because he trusted the sensors at a fork in the road. I bought property from his estate sale.

News flash if you trust marketing hype by anyone, you just arrived on the planet in a turnup space ship. As their AWD being far from the best..all I can say is" lol". Is it the best in its CLASS? ...Any non biased person would have a hard time denying that. Their tires are certainly acceptable in normal driving. I replaced mine after 25K miles with Michelin CrossClimate2's . If there is ground clearance it will go where run of the mill AWD's can't go. I probably will replace my stock tires on my '22 Forester at about 25K miles also (with the Michelims. )

Its about tires, tires, tires.
News flash: No I do not believe in marketing, but others do. That was the POINT of my post.
In the class? Ok, yes in the class it might be best, I give you that (appliance class).

Yes, it is tires. You should see average tires on Subaru here at ski resorts. When I see Subaru behind, I immediately downshift and step on it.

I know a guy was killed in a Tesla because he trusted the sensors at a fork in the road. I bought property from his estate sale.
I sure would not want to trust a car to such a high degree. I like to drive the car and not let the car drive me. Thats what buses and Uber drivers are for hahaha. Congrats on buying the property though!

My experience with our 2020 Cadillac has me conflicted
It has stepped in and prevented a collision or injury
Other time's I think it's schizophrenic, detecting things that aren't there 🤔
It's also rather inept at parking lots
It needs some other dealer warranty work soon, I'll have them check for TSBs or software reflashes

Back