How do you get up in the morning?

2nd shifter here. I set my alarm for 10am just in case I'm deep asleep, but am usually awake by 9-9:30am. Browse the internet and slowly get dressed and ready to be out the door at 11:30am.

For the last few years I've set the bedroom clock 15 minutes late. It's a nice surprise when you realize you're 15 minutes early and don't have to rush your routine.

My partner is 20 years younger, I love her so much, I get up about 630 every day and make her espresso or coffee, and take her fresh cut up fruit in a bowl, i take it to her in bed at 7 and wake her up with A kiss then she smells her coffee and her eyes roll back in her head like a shark. A happy woman you love is a fantastic life. We have been together 18 years so far. I feel like the most lucky man in the world every day.

For the last few years I've set the bedroom clock 15 minutes late. It's a nice surprise when you realize you're 15 minutes early and don't have to rush your routine.

I have always set the clock in my car a couple minutes ahead, maybe 2-3 minutes. Personal preference.

Being early has always been my thing. If I'm not 15 minutes early, something is wrong! This has saved me a bunch of times (having to turn back forgetting something, unexpected traffic, wanting to stop for a snack).

I never used an alarm clock in my life. My internal clock is spot on. Getting up is easy. Getting sleep is hard...
I will say waking up a few minutes before your alarm does lead to a much more pleasant and productive morning than when you wake up to an alarm. It's just a whole different feeling!

I will say waking up a few minutes before your alarm does lead to a much more pleasant and productive morning than when you wake up to an alarm. It's just a whole different feeling!
Absolutely...I couldn't handle that. As a kid my mother would shake me to get me up. I had to inform her you don't shake a dude to wake them because when I became older you get violent thinking you're being attacked..
Really she said ..yup really. 😂

I only have my phone with me in the bed, cause I use podcasts to talk me into sleep, but it's in flight mode.

Usually I wake up around 5:30.

Sometimes I try to sleep an other 30 minutes,
but I can't, get bored and want coffee - so 5:32 that's when I get up.

most days I have to be at work @ 5am. First alarm goes off @ 3, then every half hour. ( I have to get out of bed to turn off the alarm)
around 4, i turn on the news, and drift back off, then JUMP in to action at the 4:30 alarm, get dressed, make the Coffee, quickly nuke a sausage for breakfast, and hit the road around 4:50. (I only live 4.5 mi from work.)

Trying to imagine what job requires starting that early and why. Medical related? Morning news anchor? Newspaper delivery? Hope it pays real good.
I had a job where a big component of my colleagues were in Europe. That was a big reason for early mornings. I don’t miss that.

It doesn't matter when I go to bed, my brain seems to wake me up at 6am, give or take 15 minutes. I haven't needed my alarm to wake me up in years.

Unlike my wife who can slowly wake up and watch some morning TV while checking her phone, when I'm up I'm up. Usually my back is stiff or I'm too warm or something, making me uncomfortable, so when I wake up I get up and out immediately.

Trying to imagine what job requires starting that early and why. Medical related? Morning news anchor? Newspaper delivery? Hope it pays real good.

I'd like to know what job starts at 9am hence the term 9-5 for working a full time job.

My trucking job starts at 7am and that's the latest I would start. Fuel and refuse drivers I talk to start 3am, Frito-lay drivers even earlier.

nothing that grandiose...just a humble Grocery store... I'm Currently a Professional Shopper. People order their Groceries for "curbside" pickup, we do the shopping.
I get roughly 10-15k steps in each day. ( beats the Cashiering i did at the same store for 23 years)
My Gf does the same Job, she works 4a-12:30. She's in bed @ 6p, up @ 2am, on the road by 3. ( she lives 20 some miles/ 40 min drive away)

we start shopping the days orders @ 4 am, First pickup slot is 8am. same day orders cut off @ 4p, last slot 8pm.

Reactions: wlk
Since the family left...no alarms for me (unless I'm in a motel for e.g. for work).

4:08, wake up most mornings, try to go back to sleep.
Some days do a few rounds of Wim Hof inspired DMT breathwork, and a guided meditation (maybe once per week), which sends me back down for a bit....

Then...
* either stay asleep to 6:30
* toss and turn for a couple hours, having a ridiculously deep 6-6:30
* surf the hypnagogic state (my fave).
* get up and make a cup of tes and do work.

Weekends, 9-10AM wakeup.

Back