How do you deal with unused oil in a bottle/jug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reseal and use for next change. Almost embarrassed to admit this, but if you use the density specs provided by the mfg (compared to water) you can use a digital kitchen scale to add the exact amount to the old bottle to meet your refill specs. Hint: an empty 5 quart jug weighs about 250g.

This does involve surreptitiously removing and returning the kitchen scale to its rightful place though...

Originally Posted by Danh

This does involve surreptitiously removing and returning the kitchen scale to its rightful place though...

And, not getting caught!

Most oil manufacturers say 2 to 5 years storage as long as humidity and temperatures are not extreme. I have oils sit in sumps of garden equipment and seldom used vehicles and on the shelf for years. Not saying that's a good thing, though. Left over oil is used for top off's or next change.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
So - I was just curious. I've heard of some people who are completely against storing motor oil for longer than a year after it's been opened. Interesting that many seem to just collect it and then even mix and match different oils.

Even rational people make decisions based on a mix of (correct or incorrect) knowledge and based on what makes them feel good. The ratio varies. That process is called rationalizing behavior and may contribute to more or less stable mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back