How do you deal with unused oil in a bottle/jug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by s2krunner
You need one more vehicle
smile.gif

Or more OPE: a mower, a generator, or even something fun like a minibike or go kart to dump the leftovers into.
grin.gif

There were rumors that an expensive bicycle chain lube from 30 years ago was really just Mobil 1 10W-30 with a green dye job. I also remember my dad used to use whatever motor oil he had on hand to lube a chain saw.

Originally Posted by supton
Heh, wife use Rain-X for windshield washer fluid; what she does is buy a gallon and leaves it in the trunk. When it runs out she can dump the whole thing in and be done with it.

'cept this last time the sealed bottle decided to leak most of it out into the well where the jack goes. I'm guessing I'll have fun cleaning that one up...

Speaking of storing oil in sealed bottles, I'm not sure how important that is. I mean, oil in usage is getting exposed to air, partially burned hydrocarbons and water. What's a bit of basement humidity?
21.gif

No basement humidity with dehumidifier going in the summer. That dehumidifier keeps humidity between 55 and 60.
During the cold winter and gas heat, it gets too dry in the house and basement.
I store unused / used paint cans and motor oil under the basement steps in the basement. Nothing else except oil sprays cans, a few oil filters and air filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Heh, wife use Rain-X for windshield washer fluid; what she does is buy a gallon and leaves it in the trunk. When it runs out she can dump the whole thing in and be done with it.

'cept this last time the sealed bottle decided to leak most of it out into the well where the jack goes. I'm guessing I'll have fun cleaning that one up...

Speaking of storing oil in sealed bottles, I'm not sure how important that is. I mean, oil in usage is getting exposed to air, partially burned hydrocarbons and water. What's a bit of basement humidity?
21.gif

No basement humidity with dehumidifier going in the summer. That dehumidifier keeps humidity between 55 and 60.
During the cold winter and gas heat, it gets too dry in the house and basement.
I store unused / used paint cans and motor oil under the basement steps in the basement. Nothing else except oil sprays cans, a few oil filters and air filters.

Well, the humidity isn't zero.
wink.gif

Not sure why people worry about it. I know brake fluid is supposed to be tossed after 2 years of opening, for some reason it can pull moisture through the (broken yet capped) seal. IMO it's a bit of overkill, but it's "common knowledge". But if you ask me, motor oil absorbing moisture... is a non-starter, as a running engine can put water into the oil (and boil it off just as easily).

Not sure why people worry about it. I know brake fluid is supposed to be tossed after 2 years of opening, for some reason it can pull moisture through the (broken yet capped) seal. IMO it's a bit of overkill, but it's "common knowledge". But if you ask me, motor oil absorbing moisture... is a non-starter, as a running engine can put water into the oil (and boil it off just as easily).

The recommendation I've heard is actually 30 days tops for brake fluid. Some are for 1 year. Not sure what's the difference, but I suppose it's different if there's a good deal of air inside.

I have seen some rather oddball packaging considerations. I've got a few bottles of Motul DOT 5.1 in my garage, and they claim that they flushed it out with pure, dry nitrogen before sealing.

Anytime a car is an odd number (like my Accord that takes 4.4 quarts) I always round up. 4.5 quarts.

Do you mean the left over oil stuck to the walls of an empty bottle?

I cut the bottle open and use that little bit to coat the gasket of the oil filter on the next oil change.

I try to change using the right size containers to have even amounts.
Of all the vehicles I change oil on, only my motorcycle takes an uneven amount (3.3 qts), so that is the only oil I have partial qts of.
Truck - 6
Car - 4
SUV - 6
Sisters - 5
BIL truck - 7
Mom - 5

I like the 5 qt ones the best for changing, just grab a jug and pour it in.
My last change on the Santa Fe was using 1 gallon HDEO, so needed 1.5 jugs. I poured the 2 remaining qts into some 1 qt bottles I had laying around. It will be top off oil for my sisters SUV (about 1 qt every 4000 miles).
Since I have 3 vehicles that use oil, any "extra" usually goes into those.

In the past I have done some Frankenbrews with a hodgepodge oil oil brands and weights. Not something I do regularly, but for most engines, no real concern since none of my vehicles are real picky.

I remember for my 1995 Integra GS-R the recommended oil change interval was 4.2 quarts with an oil filter. They didn't recommend anything like filter change every other oil change. It wasn't always the same but I didn't necessarily worry about getting it all the way to the fill line on the dipstick.

I'd usually just start by tossing in about 3.8 quarts to see what happened, and then I'd top it off later. I was mostly using Mobil 1 10W-30, which I considered pricey at the time, so I'd usually just buy 4 quarts and not worry about it. I remember when I found these hard to find 4 quart jugs complete with a box that doubled as a collection pan for $12. That was easy - just pour it all in.

4.6 2v mustang takes 6 quarts, and I typically have to add a half quart or so over the course of an OCI. Specs 5w20 but I use a 5w30, because....

4.0 Toyota takes 5.5 quarts of 5w30 and doesn't consume any oil. So I typically use these half quarts as replacements for the Mustang.

I usually end up with a a couple half portions or full quarts on the shelf. Nothing ever sits for too long: I've got a lawn mower too.
smile.gif

I just save the left overs in a separate 5 qt jug and use it for an change when enough is accumulated.
Frankenbrew for sure since ill use different grades and different brands, some synthetic some conventional depending on whats on sale or whats handy at the time. Just usually do a shorter run with it. 5k or so

Relative humidity of 60 and under is fine. It won't rust my guns, form mold.... won't draw wetness to paint cans, oil bottles, filters .....etc.

Mine usually sits at 55 (summer). But the most humid days of summer and my dehumidifier will struggle to keep up. That's when it may reach 60

Usually I keep it in the 5 qt jug, and use it first in the next oil change. Eventually I'll have enough for a 4.5qt oil change and won't have to buy a new jug.

I will Frankenbrew within a family, for example Mobil 1 5w30, 5w20 and 0w20, since all my vehicles are out of warranty I have no one to defend this practice.

Top off.

Outdoor power equipment.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
I just save the left overs in a separate 5 qt jug and use it for an change when enough is accumulated.
Frankenbrew for sure since ill use different grades and different brands, some synthetic some conventional depending on whats on sale or whats handy at the time. Just usually do a shorter run with it. 5k or so

Current sump in the echo is comprised mostly of 5w30 synthetic, plus some 5w30 conventional, plus some 5w40 hdeo, and a bit of 0w20. Its essentially a 4w31 syn blend, Seems happy enough
cool.gif

Oh I almost forgot, some MMO in there as well!

Quart or liter bottles can sit partially used until needed.

Gallon, 5 qt. and 5 qt + jugs get drained into marked, smaller plastic bottles to save shelf space.

Vehicles and OPE get serviced whenever it's needed.

My wife's BMW takes 7 quarts of oil but the best deal on Castrol 0w40 up here is buying it in the 5L jugs, so I always have partially full jugs lying around. It's not really a problem, I don't mind having extra lying around like this when I can buy the 5L jugs for as low as $25.99 CDN, vs paying well over $10 per L for the single bottles (which never seem to come on sale)

With my Corvette, I can only buy ESP Formula 5w30 in single bottles (they are sold in both 1L and

My wife's BMW takes 7 quarts of oil but the best deal on Castrol 0w40 up here is buying it in the 5L jugs, so I always have partially full jugs lying around. It's not really a problem, I don't mind having extra lying around like this when I can buy the 5L jugs for as low as $25.99 CDN, vs paying well over $10 per L for the single bottles (which never seem to come on sale)

With my Corvette, I can only buy ESP Formula 5w30 in single bottles (they are sold in both 1L and 1 qt bottles here)

With my Civic, I buy PUP in 5L jugs, and it takes about 4L at oil change time (that's slightly overfilling it) and I save the last liter for tops ups (it uses about a liter every 10,000 km and that's roughly my OCI anyways)

We have several vehicles, among them some pretty old ones. I collect leftovers in a previously emptied 1-gallon oil container. We use the collected oil in any of our vehicles either for topping off or for an oil change. All our cars can use 5W-30 and that's what we use.

So - I was just curious. I've heard of some people who are completely against storing motor oil for longer than a year after it's been opened. Interesting that many seem to just collect it and then even mix and match different oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back