How do u fella's drain ur oil when it's HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that whenever trying to change the oil after a nice long drive or even after 1 hour or 2 of cooling off, that damm bolt is way too hard to get off. Luckily I have a spare drain bolt, as I ended up deforming the nut. Even putting a hex key socket in the drain bolt and trying that way is not a easy task.....

Just short of a Fumoto valve, I don't see this as a easy task at all. I've tried on 2 seperate occasions asking the US Fumoto sales guys which valve is the proper application, and both time, the have not responded to me. Not a good experiance via communication so I never picked one up.

Why not just change cold? Modern oils hold stuff in suspension well enough that changing hot or cold shouldn't make any difference.

i myself have never had a problem taking one off when hot.

if i do have troubles i just use a 6-point socket with a breaker-bar

Hi chef,
You may be installing the bolt with too much torque. It certainly needs to be good and snug, but you don't have to put all of your strength into tightening it. Also consider giving the bolt threads a little oil before you install it.

What kind of gasket is used? Could it be sticking?

I have emailed Fumoto several times and they have responded very quickly with good tips, advice and more than adequate answers to my questions.

I have a Honda which requires the adapter due tot the reset pan and they told me the model number I needed. I also emailed them about gaskets and valve position and they respond well to that. Maybe your email did not get through to them.

Try using the "Fram"
quick drain valve.
Many auto parts store carry them.
I use one on my 02 camry and use the
"Fumoto" on my 99 Tacoma.
I like the fram better because it drains faster.
Check it out.

The bolt should come of easier when hot. Perhaps your overtightening it. To me removing the drain plug is the easiest automotive task there is.

Before I put in a Fram Sure Drain my problem was that the oil plug came out too easy.

W.T.McGlynn: I always thought the Fram Sure Drain was very slow compared to pictures I saw of the Fumoto draining.

Chef Wong,

I installed a Fumoto valve with nipple on my wife's 98 Civic and I was surprised how fast the oil flowed out when it was hot. It was the best $30 I have ever spent on any car.

Just attach a hose to the nipple....and oil changes are a snap, ZERO mess.
cool.gif

Fram sure drain.
bowdown.gif

I've used them now on many cars and it's great. Nice tight install with no adapters needed. No ground clearance problems. Has a cap to keep it very clean. Comes with hose to drain into a container for recycling.

Drains a 6 qt sump in less than 5 mins.

Best $13 I've spent per outfit...
fruit.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I agree with SWS' comment. Don't tighten the drain plug so much that it ends up going round and round and round
grin.gif
... Also, at the risk or ridicule from every "manly man mechanic" on the board, I use a glove to handle the hot plug and hot flow of oil...and am prepared to still say, "Ouch!"

As far as the hot plug goes, I let it fall into the oil. When the drain tapers off, I take the oil drain pan away and either put a small waste container (old quart bottle with the top cut off) or the old oil filter underneth the drain to let it continue draining while I deal with the drain pan and plug.

If the plug is perpetually hard to get off, it needs to be repaired (chase the threads, new plug, fumoto valve.... whatever works).

Just ordered the valves. I was unsure of whether I needed the adapter version or not but I went ahead and ordered the one with the nip - non adapter .

Looking so forward to it.

I always replace the copper washer whenever draining the oil. I suspect I may be doing it too tight based on your feedback. While I don't crank down on it, I do tighten it with the socket wrench till it's *SNUG* easily by turning the wrench. Not tight enough though that I know I will need a breaker bar ;-) I stop once it requires *effort* to snug it up even more. I suspect this is too tight as is already.

My friend installed the FRAM drain on his 91 RS Camaro 305.I was there when he drained the oil with the valve.I was impressed how fast it drained.....until I asked him if I could remove the drain from the pan.After about 2 minutes of cool down time I removed the drain; and,as I suspected an additional 1/2 quart of dirty nasty oil came out into the mason jar I was holding under the pan.That rite there sold me on not to use one of these drain type valves.The way it is drilled keeps the excess oil in the bottom of the pan.
thumbsdown.gif

That's true with the Fumoto also, at least it was on my Toyota. I ended up machining the valve down so it'd be flush with the inside bottom of the pan. Before I did that 1/2 a quart or so would remain.

With my Fords, the plug is on the side of the pan where there is a low spot, so the difference in amount of oil drained should be pretty minimal.

Well, on my Toyota and Chevy I've done just that the the Fram Sure Drain.

Drain it out till there is no more drips and then take it off and capture in a cup the remaining oil.

On the Toyota less than a tablespoon. (I have a measuring spoon and cup in the garage)

The Chevy had maybe a tablespoon.

In both cases, not enough to worry about.

Every outfit I work on now has a Fram Suredrain and it's worth twice the $13 they get for them.

Blows my mind that people will spend twice as much for something that does the same thing..
dunno.gif

But that's America!
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: BTW: The Toyota is a Corolla and the Chevy is a 4.8l V8. Both outfits on Ramps.

The engineering and quality between the valves is readily apparent but either will do the job. Btw, the last time I checked a Yugo and a Lexus do the same thing. As does a Fram and a Wix
wink.gif

[ November 13, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: chenobylite ]

Blows my mind that people will spend twice as much for something that does the same thing..

I agree with what you are trying to say, but I like the fact that you just have to flip the lever on the Fumoto.....instead of attaching the hose to the Sure Drain, plus I don't have to worry about misplacing the hose. Both are quality drain valves, just designed completely different.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back