How do u fella's drain ur oil when it's HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Fram. One thing I don't like about it is that the hose rotates when I screw in the tap. The hose goes from a down slope draining oil to an up slope draining oil; which usually gets oil all over my hand, arm or if my drain pans happens to be off center, the floor. I have tight clearance underneath my car and don't have 3 hands. I guess I need to get a new drain pan that's shallow enough to fit under my car, has enough volume to hold the oil and has a hole where I can stick the hose.

Lol Thats what I found with the Fram also Javaman...I also discovered that if you put a Fram in and need a crush washer like my Matrix does, make sure you replace the copper or brass washer that is on the sure drain with a crush washer that actually crushes lol I didn't and it leaked pretty good. Replaced with the stock plug and new washer and no more leak.

Maybe I'll put the Fram back on one day but until someone can tell me how to put the drain on without spraying oil everywhere as you are screwing it in and pressure is released.....

A valve with the adopter is about $32 and the valve without the adopter is $26. (Nippled valves).

Given that your drain plug is above what looks like some kind of protective plate, you will get a oil change with a nippled valve to which you attach a hose.

I would just buy a nippled valve with the adopter. If you don't need the adopter, well, save $6.00 by skipping a visit to Starbucks.

With the Fram I have two Nipples. One with a hose on it (which I put a clamp on) and one with a hose.

With the hose one, I just place it into a container first and then tighten it until oil is flowing. No spill or mess.

With the bare one, I just turn it until I get the flow I need. If I'm trying to take out some oil, I turn it a little and get out what I need. If I'm going for a sample, Put a pan on the floor and let it flow for 30 secs and get a sample.

Both ways work well. And with no mess compaired to taking off the drain plug and dropping it into the pan or the splash of the oil first coming out.

quote:

The engineering and quality between the valves is readily apparent but either will do the job. Btw, the last time I checked a Yugo and a Lexus do the same thing.

lol.gif
The Fumoto valve I saw with it's adapter sure looked more "yugo" like than any of the Frams I've USED.

Which one have you used that looked poor quality? How did it not drain the oil?

I don't work for Fram and other than their Sure Drain, don't used their oil filters anymore. (even though I have still in the family a 1986 jetta with 250k miles that has seen nothing but Fram filters and is running perfect)

quote:

I guess I need to get a new drain pan that's shallow enough to fit under my car, has enough volume to hold the oil and has a hole where I can stick the hose.

What my uncle did for his PT Cruiser is he took a 5 qt jug, drilled a hole on it's side and put the tube into there.

Then he puts the sure drain on and wola it's done. No mess and low profile. (just make sure your cap is on nice and tight..
grin.gif
)

He then drains that container into a normal jug for recycling.

If it was me, I'd get one of those drain pans with the drain in the center and just put the hose into it. I'm always afraid of holes on the sides of containers..

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

The Fram system does drain slowly but if you're going to let the oil drain for a half hour or more it won't matter anyhow. I like it draining slow since I find it less messy taking the oil sample this way.

I don't use the rubber hose with this system though, just the brass piece only.

On my Miata, the Fumoto drains much faster and with less rigamarole than the Fram. The Suredrain took FOREVER and involved unscrewing that brass cap then screwing the drainer on while holding the hose with my other hand to keep it from spinning and flinging oil everywhere. Not only that, but to get the mechanicals inside the Fram to engage properly and drain the oil in somewhat more than the tiniest trickle, I had to tighten the drain bit on with pliers.

Fumoto = flip switch, drains a little slower than stock oil plug, flip switch, done.

The manufacturing and materials of the two valves looked equaly good. I don't know how a previous poster found the Fumoto Yugo-like in its quality.

A misunderstanding in my delivery I suppose. I feel the Fumoto is a superior valve in both use and construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back