How do I stop browning tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Armor All will dry rot your tires.

It is my understanding that the current Armor all is water based.

+1 99% of OTC dressings are water based. Make sure that the tire is properly clean and degreased and any water based dressing wont brown your tire.

A guy I worked with had been an engineer at Goodyear for thirty years. I seem to recall him saying that manufacturers had been using less carbon black in the rubber formulations. I may not be remembering correctly.

I do not like the look of dressed tires so if I can't get them black with Westley's Bleche-Wite (sic) I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Car-Products-FB810-Black/dp/B000B69OFK

This is great stuff. It helps to jack up each corner of the car to get the edge that is inaccessible when the car is on the ground. I have found that one application seems to keep the tires nice and black (and, non-greasy) for pretty much the life of the tire. It's actual dye, not dressing.

Use Lexol Vinylex - it won't "brown" and actually will help protect against some UV rays. I've been using it for over 10 years on my show and daily driver cars, nothing like it.

I just apply some spray wax on my tires when I wash my car and it gives them all the shine I want,without dry rotting and attracting dust/dirt.

Protectants IMO are the worst things you can put on your car's exterior trim pieces. After the first rain,it'll turn white and eventually dry rot.

I do not see how a water based product like Armor all can damage tires. I think that is an urban myth. Any proof to the tire warrenty statement as it might be true just need more info. All said I will look for the BMW approval list.

Well your right Russell, Armor all, or any other water based dressing doesn't damage the tires. Heck, even "most" silicone or solvent based dressing won't damage "most" tires, but I've never been a fan of those dressing for many other reason.

The last set of Michelin's I put on my Toyota they experienced blooming (browning) for a while when they were new. I cleaned them with mild soap and APC at each wash, and used Meg's Hyper dressing (my favorite tire dressing) and they stopped browning after a while. Good luck, I'm sure it's just temporary.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
A guy I worked with had been an engineer at Goodyear for thirty years. I seem to recall him saying that manufacturers had been using less carbon black in the rubber formulations. I may not be remembering correctly.

I do not like the look of dressed tires so if I can't get them black with Westley's Bleche-Wite (sic) I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Car-Products-FB810-Black/dp/B000B69OFK

This is great stuff. It helps to jack up each corner of the car to get the edge that is inaccessible when the car is on the ground. I have found that one application seems to keep the tires nice and black (and, non-greasy) for pretty much the life of the tire. It's actual dye, not dressing.

It's true they've been using less carbon black. Many have been using silica instead as it tends to imrpove wet weather performance and increase tire life. As for if it's making tires turn brown, I've noticed that tires today turn brown less than a while ago.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I like the Stoners brand tire dressing. Makes tires look new rather than shiney.

+1, called Stoner's More Shine and doesn't contain any petroleum distillates/naphtha/rubber solvent. Spraying the tires first with some Stoner's Tarminator will easily get rid of brown tires. Here's what I mentioned in action:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89322&highlight=tarminator

I do use Stoner's "More Shine Less Time" on other people's tires if I wash their cars. I do find it to be the best of the dressings I have tried, but it still doesn't hold up too well to a Texas "frog soaker" downpour. The only stuff I have found to be ultra durable is that Forever Black tire dye. I can honestly recommend that product without ANY reservations.

But, if you like "greasy looking" tires it won't satisfy you.

excellent comments. I have "wifed" of the brown residue a couple of times. Did not reapply any protectant or dressing. I will see how that goes.

Originally Posted By: rfeir
Michelin now incorporates an outer layer of rubber on many of its tires designed to keep the tire black and new looking. No vender of tires recommends that the end user or seller apply any product to the sidewalls to shine up the tire.

Apparenlty not on my new Michelin Primacy MXv4 tires with green-x technology as they have browned quickly. As others have said, I believe the browning will pass.

The brown is an anti-ozone wax that is excreted as you drive, this keeps fresh wax at the surface. It is referred to as "bloom".

The overwhelming majority of modern tire products will not harm your tires.

I have seen the armor all tire dressing mentioned a few times. I gotta say, I bought some and had a fear it would be really wet and shiny looking because you just spray and let it sit. Too my surprise, it has a very flat black finish to it after it dries.

Maybe it is just my Bridgestone Turanza EL 400s, but I really like the finish. After it dries, it also doesn't appear to attract dirt.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I have seen the armor all tire dressing mentioned a few times. I gotta say, I bought some and had a fear it would be really wet and shiny looking because you just spray and let it sit. Too my surprise, it has a very flat black finish to it after it dries.

Maybe it is just my Bridgestone Turanza EL 400s, but I really like the finish. After it dries, it also doesn't appear to attract dirt.

That was my experience with my previous Michelin tires. I now believe it is the "blooming" others have mentioned. I just need for it to deminish and Armorall will be fine.

Im interested in this as well. My truck is almost a year old, never had armor all and a week or so after washing my Michelins are brown looking. Same with the Michelin Energy on my wifes Fusion.

I just apply some spray wax on my tires when I wash my car and it gives them all the shine I want,without dry rotting and attracting dust/dirt.

Please elaborate. First I've heard of this method.

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe

Me too. However, i am not interested in a low or high shine. Just want a dark black look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GatorJoe

Me too. However, i am not interested in a low or high shine. Just want a dark black look.

I spray my tires with Eagle One Nano Wax while they're wet,and then wipe them down with a damp microfiber mitt. Makes them look great! No gloss,never greasy,and doesn't dry rot them. I use Pledge if I want a shiny look. Doesn't look/feel greasy and won't dry rot. I'll never use Armor All type protectants ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back