How do I stop browning tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got new tires. Used armoll-all as tire dressing and they brown very quickly and even look sort of grayish when wet. I understand new tires are "out gassing" plasticisers?? that can help brown rires. I think the best solution, at lest for awhile, is to just wash my tires with soap and water. Does anyone have a better solution or product? I just want darker black tires, not super shinny.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Armor All is wearing off or something. I'd try something like 303 Aerospace -- you can also use it inside the car and around the house.

Any tire shine or dressing will attract dirt, I don't care how much they say they repel it. If you can clean them, leaving them flat black is the best way to keep the brown off the longest.

Last edited:
Typically only solvent based tire dressings tend to have that result. Megs endurance or their regular clear tire shine doesnt seem to brown. If you just want clean tires try 303 aerospace-as mentioned above or use an eco tire cleaner product. It will clean without causing browning.

I got brand new tires put on my truck about a month ago and they're brown. I haven't put anything on them either. Apparently that's the sunscreen on the tire. I don't know how to get rid of it but im not putting any kind of tire dressing on them like I did the last pair. I made the mistake of putting armorall on them and they were all cracked within a day or two.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Armor All will dry rot your tires.

It is my understanding that the current Armor all is water based.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You put Armor All on your tires???? How about trying a dressing made for tires.

Armor all worked well for my previous tires. These new tires have Michelin's Green-x technology which may use different materials than my old Michelin Exalto A/S tire. Now the question is which dressing works best.

Last edited:
Some tire companies will not honor their warranty if the sidewalls crack once Armor All is applied. Tires contain waxes that are intended to slowly migrate to the surface to fight oxidation of the rubber. This migration is most obvious in the carcass (sidewall) portion of the tire. Some compounds speed up the migration and actually remove this wax which will greatly accelerate the oxidation and cracking of the sidewall.

If you feel you must put something n the sidewall, use a product developed specifically for tire sidewalls. If I recall correctly (and that is questionable at my age), BMW has put out a list of accaptable tires products.

Sounds like even tires are made cheaper than they used to be.Is nothing sacred?

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Some tire companies will not honor their warranty if the sidewalls crack once Armor All is applied. Tires contain waxes that are intended to slowly migrate to the surface to fight oxidation of the rubber. This migration is most obvious in the carcass (sidewall) portion of the tire. Some compounds speed up the migration and actually remove this wax which will greatly accelerate the oxidation and cracking of the sidewall.

If you feel you must put something n the sidewall, use a product developed specifically for tire sidewalls. If I recall correctly (and that is questionable at my age), BMW has put out a list of accaptable tires products.

I do not see how a water based product like Armor all can damage tires. I think that is an urban myth. Any proof to the tire warrenty statement as it might be true just need more info. All said I will look for the BMW approval list.

I used to use tire dressing but I heard it can dry rot tires and attract dirt. I have never used armor all on tires so not sure about that. But for removing the brown staining, spray with a little water then some Simple Green. I have a tire cleaning brush which is slightly curved in the middle with stiff bristles. scrub them good and rinse off. the simple green works well to remove brake dust on the wheels too with light scrubbing.

Michelin now incorporates an outer layer of rubber on many of its tires designed to keep the tire black and new looking. No vender of tires recommends that the end user or seller apply any product to the sidewalls to shine up the tire.

I've noticed that Michelin tires do seem to get a brownish layer on them after a few weeks without being cleaned. I've owned many sets and they all seem to do it. I think it's anti-oxidants or some other material in the tire to help prevent rotting.

I would not apply Armor-All to your tires. In my experience, that will quicken the browning. If you use anything, try Michelin's line of tire care products. I don't apply dressings to my tires very often, but when I do, it's Michelin's tire dressing. It's made by Pylon (along with their wiper blades) and appears to be a good product.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires-101/tire-care/tire-maintenance/tire-care-products.page

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't apply dressings to my tires very often, but when I do, it's Michelin's tire dressing.

I don't drink beer very often, but when I do, it is Dos Equis.

I hate tire dressing. When I picked up my ATS, they must have used an entire bottle on the tires - the wheels and tires were filthy within 100 miles. I cleaned it off and now they stay clean, but after driving through a rain storm last week the Michelins are now brown.

I usually just use dish detergent on the wheels and tires and let them go. I prefer the flat black look.

When My Michelin Primacys were new, they turned brown the first few times I washed them. The brown soon went away. I use a glycerin based tire dressing. Maybe old tech, but they look new (not shiny) for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back