Ugly brown Michelin tires 🤬

There's a product used by airlines (can't remember the company) that goes on airplane tires to protect them from UV light and prevent rubber cracking. When applied it looked like permanent tire shine, it is dry to the touch, and is supposed to last years. Maybe someone in the airline industry knows what this is because dry permanent tire shine would be awesome if we can get our hands on it.
Thinking of this? 303 coating. 303 Aerospace Protectant - Provides Superior UV Protection, Helps Prevent Fading and Cracking, Repels Dust, Lint, and Staining, Restores Lost Color and Luster, 32oz (30313CSR) Packaging May Vary https://a.co/d/ixrFH1A

Thinking of this? 303 coating. 303 Aerospace Protectant - Provides Superior UV Protection, Helps Prevent Fading and Cracking, Repels Dust, Lint, and Staining, Restores Lost Color and Luster, 32oz (30313CSR) Packaging May Vary https://a.co/d/ixrFH1A
I second the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It does a great job of keeping my Michelin Cross Climate2's nice and black. It's not shiny at all. Doesn't leave the tires sticky and doesn't seems to attract grit.

I use ArmorAll Tire Foam from Walmart.

I agree, if you keep the "oils" in the rubber of your tires.. longer life.

Don't the shine products (these foam, then dissolve) help keep it moisturized? (The rubber of the sidewall)

Here is my understanding:

The brown stuff is used up antioxidants that have reached the surface. They are being held in place by waxes, which also protect the sidewall rubber from oxidation. While they are unsightly, they are there for a reason and will flake off eventually. What you don't want is to remove that layer of waxes and accelerate the aging process.

To that end, do NOT use any dressings that dissolve the rubber - and any dressing that comes off as a dark residue is doing exactly that.

Only use dressings that have antioxidants (AO's).

The next thing you know is they suck because they are dry rotting early. No offence to anyone but with all the other things going on the last thing I think anyone would worry about on a daily driver is the tires not being black enough. On the other hand with $6 a gal for gas right around the corner it may look good in the driveway.
I control what I can. The world is f'd so my DD has to be ugly?

And people are already paying $6...

I mistakenly bought this can of Firestone Tire Black for $2.99 at Ollies Bargain Outlet. Realized it shouldn't get sprayed on wheels.

IMG_2660.JPG

Try 303 Aerospace protectant. It won't get your pants dirty and you can apply it to your aesthetic liking (heavy-glossy to light-matte).
Only problem with it is that it seems to be water based so it will wash off easily if you drive in rain and you will have to apply it again.

Clean is one thing but like anything else it can be taken over the top. IMO a person who drives down the road and says oh wow look at that guys black shiny tires needs something in their life. JMO.

They get dirty quick, as well.

I spray mine with the ArmorAll Tire Foam, it doesn't last very long..

I spray mine with the ArmorAll Tire Foam, it doesn't last very long..
I think that's the kind I use; I get the lowest-gloss formula they have. I don't subscribe to the "tires should be shiny" theory.

On the other hand.... When I bought my WRX, the dealer used some sort of super-shiny tire dressing on it. A few months later, I took off those wheels and tires and got new ones. A year later, the glossy tires are still stacked up in the garage and the substance still looks like it was put on there this morning!

Here you go. Turn your A/c down, tonight.....get a margarita in your hand, dog in your lap, watch Steph and the Warriors..... and be thankful. Ymmv

Back