How did you start in your job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retired now, but if I go way back in time to the start of the main career of my life (it was #4 chronologically), there was a career ad in the local paper, a large US based industrial company needed a FORTRAN programmer. The hard science degree I had mandated a couple FORTRAN courses back when I got my degree plus I used FORTRAN on many other courses to process arrays and iterative calculations. My second job out of University involved FORTRAN and Assembly language so I at least knew I could probably do the work required in the ad so I applied. The rest is history.

Retired now, but if I go way back in time to the start of the main career of my life (it was #4 chronologically), there was a career ad in the local paper, a large US based industrial company needed a FORTRAN programmer. The hard science degree I had mandated a couple FORTRAN courses back when I got my degree plus I used FORTRAN on many other courses to process arrays and iterative calculations. My second job out of University involved FORTRAN and Assembly language so I at least knew I could probably do the work required in the ad so I applied. The rest is history.
I started using BASIC on punched ribbons and moved on to FORTRAN on punched cards for engineering programming. Company I retired from was still using FORTRAN based software for process control. Only guy who understood it 100% was in his 70’s. He is on a retainer for life.

Thought i’d make money in electronics than automotive stuff, so on a lark I applied to both 2 year and 4 year degrees. Got into elec engineering and figured, I could always fail back. Found I did ok at it, landed a job, been at it since.

Wanted to be a gunsmith, saw that as a poor choice given 1986 Oz, so took a gap year as a pump attendant, watching the life of mechanics...Decided to be an engineer (in spite of family pressure for lawyer or doctor).

Half way through Uni, became a Cadet in the power industry (sponsored the second half of my degree)...power industry lifer, from undergrad, through graduate, some time in construction, build a hydrogen plant, CO2 plant, commissioned large steam units, a decade as turbine enginer, now run one...

Back in the ASK Manman days, we called it Fortrash. My 1st love, besides IBM 360/370 Assembler, was COBOL. Made for data handling! When Visual Basic, aka "glue", arrived, everyone was coding in it. So productive!

I got interested in weather in the 4th grade...Joined the USAF in 1973 and continued my dream in weather. Got out in 1985 then worked for the National Weather Service for another 30 years... Retired in Dec of 2017....I enjoyed every bit of it...

After 20 miserable years of working my way up through the ranks in the finance side of Telecom, I had a serious conversation with myself about what new career would fit my personality and my strengths. I saw the writing on the wall when Verizon bought XO Communications, and I turned out to be right. Combining this revelation with information I got from friends and relatives in the legal industry, I chose corporate paralegal. I've been at it for 6 years, and I love it. I work in a much more stable, professional environment, the management isn't constantly seeking ways to "reorganize" (I lost count years ago how many layoffs I've survived, they finally got me in 2017) , and I'm making nearly twice what I was making when I left Verizon. I was unemployed a total of 3 weeks, and I started my new career one semester before I completed my paralegal certificate. Not many things in my life fall into place beautifully, but this did.

I got in pretty easy. I got a job on the IT Help Desk in 2016 while I was still in college, at the large company my aunt has worked at for a couple decades. She works in IT too and put in a good word. In 2018 I started working in hardware, building, fixing, shipping, and purchasing IT Equipment. Then in 2021 I got into my current role, Microsoft Office 365 administration. Mostly Outlook/MS Teams. Graduated college in 2019 with a BA in Business. Started back last year for my Master’s but I dropped it. I’ll get back into it eventually.

Very happy with my job, the team I work on, and the company I work for.

Wanted to be a auto mechanic father talked me into hvac. Trade school for 2 years then 3 companies for 2.5 years then 40 years with a mechanical contractor went from 2 servicemen to 46 when i retired with over 200 mechanics in 2012 to now over 60 servicemen to 300 tradesmen pipefitting, plumbing, sheetmetal, electrical and controls.

Went to an auto/diesel tech school in 1975 after graduation/ Came back to my small town of 1000. Only available job was at a local gas station/Allis Chalmers Dealership. Started in the gas station side, pumping gas, tune-ups, oil changes, shocks, etc.

They saw my potential and moved me into the AG side. Twisted wrenches for 15 years.

Then got into a John Deere Dealership as service manager. Ag business sucks. Spring and fall are the nicest and most busy time of year in Iowa. But that all gave me customer service, mechanical, electronic and hydraulic experience.

Got a chance at a place making gaming machines as tech support. Made it up to Senior tech support and retired from there about 1 year ago.

My dad was a garbage man so to rebel, I am a garbage man. It ticked him off but he's proud. He did it so idiot have to and now I'm doing it some my kids won't have to.

The money is good, most of the work is not. I'm too far in to change jobs now as I got 7 years left until a decent pension.

When Visual Basic, aka "glue", arrived, everyone was coding in it. So productive!
Yeah that was the last part of my career, VB, and the last language I learned (I am pretty far behind now in the world, clearly). I was awestruck by being able to "compile on the fly" so to speak and make most changes on the spot. I use it at home now (in Excel macros) for running financial spreadsheets and even oil change / car maintenance spreadsheets, of course ;).

Last edited:
Tried college and hated it. Almost had my associates in mechanical engineering technology, which I guess is useless in today’s world. Met my wife in a chemistry lab so I guess it wasn’t a complete waste. I still look at what I spent and what needs done around the house and it makes me sick. Oh well. I tell everyone I should have done concrete a few years when I was 18. Or joined the military. Both would have given me a good kick in the butt.

Was in orthopedic manufacturing for almost 10 years. I befriended an electrician who was doing work for a previous employer who got me into the trade. We are still in touch and come to find out, he’s good friends with my neighbors. Small world. Work also started getting slow in early 2021 so I jumped ship. I wanted an actual career.

I’ve been in electrical for almost 2 years now. Started off in mainly residential, but now do commercial/ industrial. Very happy and making the most I’ve ever made.

*Right now I’m working at a new building for one of the big 3 automotive manufacturers parts suppliers. I started there when 30% of the foundation was up and that’s it. Now the walls are up and painted, it’s heated etc. It’s a neat thing to be a part of.

My dad was a garbage man so to rebel, I am a garbage man. It ticked him off but he's proud. He did it so idiot have to and now I'm doing it some my kids won't have to.

The money is good, most of the work is not. I'm too far in to change jobs now as I got 7 years left until a decent pension.
It’s good honest work and very decent money. If you’re a morning person, it’s even better.

Our garbage company is no longer taking new customers because they can’t find drivers. It’s nuts.

I wonder how many were actually satisfied with their profession after their father pushed them in that direction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back