How Did You Find BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brought you here? What was your first post? Were you referred by another member? etc...

I'll start:
I found BITOG by accident while searching for information on a compressor fluid OEM and posted a question here about it. I never did find an answer to my question but shaeffer, amsoil, and auto-rx salesmen pm'd me to buy their products.
crackmeup2.gif

I've stuck around because when you wade through and decipher it all there is some good information available here.

cool topic idea.

I was looking at info for the Toyota Sienna I owned. I remember reading about sludge on the internet somewhere. Then wound up at the Auto-Rx site via Google and it mentioned Saturn issues there, too.

So my Toyota and Saturn both had issues, thus, my 1st post was all about that. In all that Googling, I found this place...and a new passion that, to this day, my wife can not relate to in any capacity.

She accepts it though. Whew. LOL

Quote:
How Did You Find BITOG?

Slightly overdone and the mori sauce was a bit tangy.

Someone told me about BITOG in 2001/2002 and said I should join. I first said "no way, it's just a Schaeffer's sales site....."(it was at the time).......the rest is recorded history.

Bror Jace made reference to it on an auto related newsgroup (remember newsgroups?). I didn't think I would find this place that interesting either, or I would have picked a less cumbersome username.

If you search for some key words related to oil and particular vehicles BITOG comes up as some of the top hits. That's how I found it.

I think I landed here after some type of oil-related google search. It's been a very interesting place to visit. I miss the input from some of the original guys. Many don't post anymore or have passed on.

I found BITOG while reading a offroading magazine and the mag did a article on oil and oil filters. After the article it had a small reference section and it referred to BITOG.

Someone mentioned this website on Discoweb.org.

Disco as in Land Rover Discovery, not the 70's.
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC I was researching on (gasp!) Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer and found this website which encouraged me to use the stuff for bicycle chains, crosscut shredders, ANYWHERE except in my vehicles!

I was additionally interested in some AMSOIL products and found that Pablo lived only about 1/2 mile from me at the time! You can't buy good neighbors such as Pabs.

Believe it or not, through work.

No, I'm dead serious. I work for Canada's national standards body, and I was doing research on some older Canadian standards. One of them was the CGSB (Canadian General Standards Board) standard on re-refined motor oil. I googled 're-refined oil', and came up with a couple of BITOG threads on it.

I was stunned. I didn't believe a place like this existed! The rest, as they say, is history....

Originally Posted By: tom slick
What brought you here? What was your first post? Were you referred by another member? etc...

I'm not sure, but I suppose Quattro Pete may have tipped me off.

mori's first post

There was an active oil board on Edmunds.com that some of the OG BITOGers posted at. I was a regular poster there. Someone mentioned this place and I joined.

Fellow 4 banger jeep message list member linked me to it. I don't think he ever jointed. That was back in 2002.

No one I know can relate to what goes on here. They may find something interesting here or there, but it's like the finer art of tiddly winks to them..even to mechanics and most racer heads that I know.

"You've come far, pilgrim"
"Feels like far"
"Was it worth the trouble?"
"Eh ..what trouble?"

Someone at the fordtrucks.com site gave me a link to a thread here on Rislone. I was a 25 year Rislone user of a quart every oil change. The discussion here cured me of my Rislone habit.

I was looking for UOA's for the best safe OCI for my VW and Suburban and...Lurking for quite a while then joining and here I am. BITOG has changed quite a bit over the years, some good ways, some...not so good. The search tool is still a good way to get the information I need, although lately its getting weak in its ability to reach back into the past.

I was looking for UOA's for the best safe OCI for my VW and Suburban and...Lurking for quite a while then joining and here I am. BITOG has changed quite a bit over the years, some good ways, some...not so good. The search tool is still a good way to get the information I need, although lately its getting weak in its ability to reach back into the past.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back