How big is the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of that video is flat out incorrect. Had a friend post that on facebook, and had to step in to set them straight.

The map isn't wrong. Technically, it is perfectly correct and lives up to the requirements of that particular projection.

The real issue is whether the projection you are using is appropriate for your intended task.

As another poster pointed out, this is the age old issue of projecting a spherical object on a flat plane. I deal with moving maps and other engineering drawings between all sorts of projections and coordinate systems. None of them are "wrong", but every one of them has limitations, and have impacts on how things appear.

I'm not sure he's got very accurate projections- his Europe is too big. Its a symptom of the fact that every few years, someone "rediscovers" the fact that the most common Mercator map projections exaggerate northern latitudes, especially in the area where they're centered (usually North America or Western Europe). Look at a globe, it all becomes much clearer- especially a few things:

- Greenland is WAY smaller than South America, even though the common projections make them look similar.

- Australia is huge-comparable in size to all of Europe

- Europe is smaller than people think- France and Texas are similar sized (Texas is bigger, though) ;-)

- Alaska is WAY bigger than people realize, even though its actually not as "shrunken" by the usual North America-centered Mercator projection as South America is. Its a fair fraction of the size of Australia, but it tends to be off in the northwest corner of the North American map projections and its shape is rather distorted by that.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Kuato

However I can't take seriously any article from a media source that cannot spell words correctly.

Perhaps he shoukd educate himself on the difference between countries and continwnts.

I could not agree more.

Yes thanks...the irony of typos when I was commenting on proper spelling is not lost on me!
spankme2.gif

Durn phone anyway.....
mad.gif

Hey,,,continwnts is ok with me,,,welcome here all mispellled words. If one wants to used the spell check, thats ok to. I get misspelled words all the time from text msgs...........dnt u.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Hey,,,continwnts is ok with me,,,welcome here all mispellled words. If one wants to used the spell check, thats ok to. I get misspelled words all the time from text msgs...........dnt u.

Ha, and don't you love it when the spell check decides to completely change your word...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back