Hot oil smell when heating is on ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, I have a 2007 Camry V6 with 200,000km. Just turned the heating on for the first time this year and was hit with a smell of hot oil. I blasted the heating for about an hour and the smell was temporarily gone.
Evey time I drive with the heating on I get a whiff of hot oil, as if oil is continuously burning off. The weird thing is that there is absolutely no smell when I turn the AC on.
Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? My garage seems to have no idea. (Cabin filter has been replaced)
Thank you in advance.

Maybe the blower motor bearings are getting warm? It's hard to say....

Do you see any visible oil leaks, high on the engine, that can run down onto the exhaust?

Subscribed. The AC no smell is the curve ball here. I'd say sniff around the engine bay while the engine is hot and running and see if you smell it. Check real good for oil leaks, maybe try a dye and black light for oil leak detection.

leaking antifreeze can create an oil-like layer on your windshield if you have a large enough leak in your leaking heater core. Maybe your specific formulation of coolant just smells that way. Why not take a bit of coolant and throw it on the stove to confirm it is/is not coolant. Start figuring from there.

Burning oil smells like...burning oil, antifreeze smells sweet. In addition to a sweet smell, a leak in the heater core will fog-up the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back